• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CupChamps979802

Nationwide Arena

Rate this topic

Alright, so I am not sure if this is in the right forum, so if it's not just move it to the appropriate place

Anyways me and a few friends finally decided we're going to make the trip down to Columbus to catch the Wings on the road there on April 9. I've never been to a road game, so I really don't know what to expect. One thing we're really considering is bringing an octopus in and throwing it out there after the game because we are so close to the postseason. In last years playoffs I seem to remember some type of incident where a Columbus fan tackled a Wings fan as he was trying to throw the octopus haha

Anyways, I was just wondering what to expect with the Jackets being out of the playoffs. And should we follow through with the octopus?

And if you've ever been to Nationwide, your experiences and thoughts are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Guest Lidstromboli

I've been there once and didn't have any problems. The people there seemed nice enough and the venue wasn't bad at all.

not sure how people would react to throwing the octopus though

I have been to many, many Wings games at Nationwide. You shouldn't have any problems at all just watching the game. However, the Columbus fans do seem to have an issue with the octopus throwing...so be prepared to defend yourself and get tossed out.

There are several parking garages around, most of them are 10 bucks, and within walking range of everything. There are a lot of restaurants and bars in the area around Nationwide. Mongolian Barbeque, Ted's Montana Grill, Boston Pizza...but I would recommend hitting up Frog Bear & Wild Boar bar before the game. There are sure to be plenty of Wings fans there since it's literally 50 yards from the entrance to Nationwide and they have good food and a hockey atmosphere (though it is a bit pricey). Also, R Bar is a hockey bar, and it is Blue Jackets vs. Red Wings themed year round (they think it's a rivalry, LOL!).

Enjoy yourself. Nationwide is a great arena, maybe the best in hockey...they just don't have a team to put in it. :lol:

I'll probably be there too, haven't bought tickets yet though.

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings

I believe it's a league policy that if you are caught throwing anything on the ice, they kick you out of the game.

Just some food for thought. Btw, good luck if you decide to go for it!

Thank you for the information guys! A couple of the guys I am going with heard good things about R Bar, so I think that's where we will wind up.

And if we wind up throwing the octopus, we would do it at the end of the game, so if we did get tossed we wouldn't miss anything. I just have to convince my friend it's a good idea to sit through the whole game with it strapped to him haha

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

I'll be at the game as well. One of my friends goes to Ohio State and he gets tickets for like 10 bucks so I'm making the trip down. The arena itself is very nice, yet I have never been to an NHL game there so I don't know what to expect. In regards to the Octopus, usually when Columbus plays the Wings all seafood markets are on watch for Wings fans trying to buy Octupi. Just look out for that. If you are gonna throw one on the ice, I would do it right at the end of the game.

Hockeytown hit the nail on the head. Nationwide is the exact opposite of the Joe in pretty much every aspect. There is actually a lot to do around the arena, and you actually feel comfortable sticking around after games. I live about 5 minutes from the arena, I'll probably be riding my bike there on gameday if it's nice out.

Thank you for the information guys! A couple of the guys I am going with heard good things about R Bar, so I think that's where we will wind up.

And if we wind up throwing the octopus, we would do it at the end of the game, so if we did get tossed we wouldn't miss anything. I just have to convince my friend it's a good idea to sit through the whole game with it strapped to him haha

I will be there on the 9th. Going to the R Bar before the game, so we dont have to buy so many $8.00 beers inside. The arena district is nice, I have been there lots. Be prepared to take a lot of slack if ur wearing ur wings gear. There is a $5.00 lot just off of Vine St about a block over from the arena. I will be looking for the Octopus, if it flies, I will just assume it was you.