• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Gnredwing

Gnredwing

Biggest Wing Nut in NY

• Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:44 PM

Curious to see who you guys think are the top 10 Wings over the past 20 years. Enjoy!
Top Ten
1.Lidstrom (Yes I picked Nick over Yzerman)
2.Yzerman
3.Fedorov
4.Shanahan
5.Datsyuk
6.Zetterberg
7.Osgood
8.Hasek
9.Larionov
10.Draper

#2 Xitium

Xitium

Super Lurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:49 PM

1.Yzerman
2.Lidstrom
3.Datsyuk
4.Fedorov
5.Shanahan
6.Zetterberg
7.Hasek
8.Osgood
9.Cleary
10.McCarty

If you start a new thread within two hours after a Wings game, specifically a loss, YOU ARE WRONG.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,922 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:00 PM

I don't know, maybe it's because I'm 33 and :wub: the 1997-2002 teams, but I'd put Yzerman, Lidstrom, Fedorov, and Shanahan all ahead of Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

I'd have to take a day or two to think of my top 10, so I'll get back to you.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#4 wingsaroundtheworld

wingsaroundtheworld

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:35 PM

ahhh, great thread. I started to think about it but I can't rank these guys I've been cheering so much for in all these years, they're all my heroes.

#5 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:27 PM

hudler

Posted Image

#6 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:28 PM

The top 10 Wings from 1990-91 until 2009-10?

Steve Yzerman
Nicklas Lidstrom
Chris Osgood
Sergei Fedorov
Dominik Hasek
Henrik Zetterberg
Pavel Datsyuk
Vladimir Konstantinov
Brendan Shanahan
Tomas Holmstrom

That took some doing for my last few inclusions. Hard to cut out guys like Chris Chelios, Ray Sheppard, Slava Kozlov, Igor Larionov, and others. One thing I will say is that including McCarty, Draper, Maltby, or Kocur on this list is a ridiculous idea. Yes they have been around and yes they have been important at times. But this is basically about "Who was the most important Wing the most often over the past 20 years" and to be dreadfully honest, Draper and the others were RARELY the most important guys on the team, especially with so many skilled defensive forwards on the team then and now. They brought grit, yes...but their defensive presence was and is redundant.

Edited by eva unit zero, 30 March 2010 - 11:54 PM.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#7 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:48 PM

Personally I feel Vernon has had more of an impact on the Red Wings than Hasek, but that's just me.

1) Yzerman
2) Lidstrom
3) Fedorov
4) Shanahan
5) Datsyuk
6) Osgood
7) Zetterberg
8) Konstantinov
9) Vernon
10) Murphy

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#8 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:07 AM

By top ten Red Wings do you mean the best raw hockey talent, or the players that most exemplify what being a Wing is all about? Because those two lists would be completely different for me.

#9 Xitium

Xitium

Super Lurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:31 AM

By top ten Red Wings do you mean the best raw hockey talent, or the players that most exemplify what being a Wing is all about? Because those two lists would be completely different for me.

I took it for the latter, which is why I have Cleary and McCarty on my list.

If you start a new thread within two hours after a Wings game, specifically a loss, YOU ARE WRONG.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:41 AM

Fedorov would undoubtedly be my #1 for your first list idea.

#11 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:58 AM

That took some doing for my last few inclusions. Hard to cut out guys like Chris Chelios, Ray Sheppard, Slava Kozlov, Igor Larionov, and others. One thing I will say is that including McCarty, Draper, Maltby, or Kocur on this list is a ridiculous idea. Yes they have been around and yes they have been important at times. But this is basically about "Who was the most important Wing the most often over the past 20 years" and to be dreadfully honest, Draper and the others were RARELY the most important guys on the team, especially with so many skilled defensive forwards on the team then and now. They brought grit, yes...but their defensive presence was and is redundant.[/font]

They were necessary parts of the championship runs in 1997, 1998 and 2002, and they were extremely helpful roleplayers. The team cannot have a superstar in every roster spot. That they were not amongst the all-time greats does not mean that they did not contribute a ton.

#12 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:42 AM

Wow, this is tough. Ok, here are my much thought over picks.

1. Lidstrom
2. Yzerman
3. Fedorov
4. Datsyuk
5. Shanahan
6. Osgood
7. Zetterberg
8. Draper
9. McCarty/Holmstrom
10. Konstantinov

Edited by Wings_Dynasty, 31 March 2010 - 04:43 AM.

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#13 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:49 AM

They were necessary parts of the championship runs in 1997, 1998 and 2002, and they were extremely helpful roleplayers. The team cannot have a superstar in every roster spot. That they were not amongst the all-time greats does not mean that they did not contribute a ton.

I agree with this. I have McCarty and Draper on my list of 11. Mac for his playoff performances and his regualar season role as enforcer. Draper at one point was both the best face-off man and part of the best PK tandem in the NHL. Between 1998-2009 if there was a faceoff in the defensive zone in the playoffs, odds are Draper was taking it. And that may still be true today.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty, 31 March 2010 - 04:50 AM.

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#14 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:51 AM

Lidstrom is easily no.1 on the list. Only a blind Steve Y fan would claim otherwise.

Lidstrom
Yzerman
Fedorov
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Shanahan
Osgood
Holmstrom
Vernon
Konstantinov

Edited by Reds4Life, 31 March 2010 - 04:52 AM.

#15 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:01 AM

1. Lidstrom
2. Yzerman
3. Fedorov
4. Shannahan
5. Osgood
6. Datsyuk
7. Zetterberg
8. Chelios
9. Draper
10. Holmstrom

#16 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:07 AM

I don't know, maybe it's because I'm 33 and :wub: the 1997-2002 teams, but I'd put Yzerman, Lidstrom, Fedorov, and Shanahan all ahead of Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

I'd have to take a day or two to think of my top 10, so I'll get back to you.

:thumbup:

Lidstrom is easily no.1 on the list. Only a blind Steve Y fan would claim otherwise.

Lidstrom
Yzerman
Fedorov
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Shanahan
Osgood
Holmstrom
Vernon
Konstantinov

...or a fan of the team from the mid 1980's - you know - the "Dead Wings" era.

When Lids got to Detroit the team was outta the basement, and on it's way to greatness...Stevie Y was the reason the team got outta that basement.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#17 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:19 AM

Lidstrom
Yzerman
Fedorov
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Shanahan
Osgood
Holmstrom
Vernon
Konstantinov

Maybe I'm a Stevie fanboy, but I can't imagine not putting him at the top of the list. The Captain, the Cups, the face of this organization for his entire career - how is this stuff not worthy of a #1 spot?

Aside from that, these lists are so subjective that you couldn't possibly claim someone has to be a Stevie Y fanboy to list him at #1. There hasn't even been a criteria established as to what it is we're basing this on.

1. Yzerman
2. Lidstrom
3. Shanahan
4. Federov
5. Zetterberg
6. Datsyuk
7. Osgood
8. Holmstrom
9. Draper
10. Chelios

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#18 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:23 AM

1. Yzerman
2. Lidstrom
3. Datsyuk
4. Fedorov
5. Zetterberg
6. Shanahan
7. Osgood
8. Konstantinov
9. Holmstrom
10. Larionov

As with others, I had trouble defining "top" Red Wings, so I went on overall impact on the team. Yzerman and Lidstrom are non-negotiable at the top, but could be interchangeable considering Yzerman had a lot of his better seasons in the 80s and Lidstrom took about 4-5 years to really come into his own. But either way, their impact on the team is unmatched.

For me, 3-6 are relatively interchangeable as well, with Datsyuk and Fedorov being the most talented offensively and defensively in the regular seasons especially and Zetterberg's already legendary play in the post-season and we all know what Shanahan did for this team on and off the ice over the years.

Osgood gets the nod over the others in the last group because of long-term success with the Wings, the past two marvelous playoff runs helping a lot and influence on the locker room. Konstantinov could have easily been at the top if his career hadn't ended so tragically soon. Holmstrom gets the 9th spot because of long-term success with the Wings and sacrificing just about as much as anyone I've ever seen to get his goals.

Finally, Larionov gets the last spot because even though he was considerably lesser of a player late in his career with the Wings, he still played a vital role in secondary scoring for his whole tenure and was completely invaluable in the maturation of our Russian contingent, starting with guys like Fedorov, Konstantinov, and Kozlov and continuing on to mentor someone like Datsyuk who came here without speaking a word of the language and really without any family around him for support. I honestly think that without the help of Larionov and to a degree Hull in those first few years, Datsyuk may not be the player he is today, talent aside.

Edited by b.shanafan14, 31 March 2010 - 08:25 AM.

#19 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:37 AM

One thing I will say is that including McCarty, Draper, Maltby, or Kocur on this list is a ridiculous idea. Yes they have been around and yes they have been important at times. But this is basically about "Who was the most important Wing the most often over the past 20 years" and to be dreadfully honest, Draper and the others were RARELY the most important guys on the team, especially with so many skilled defensive forwards on the team then and now. They brought grit, yes...but their defensive presence was and is redundant.

Posted Image

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#20 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

We're not building a roster. We're picking the ten best players.

If we go by your logic, Helm would be in the top-ten Wings over the past two seasons. And that is, well, an insane suggestion. He's very popular, but nowhere near the top ten.

If we were building a roster from the best wings over the past five or ten or twenty years, sure we'd include guys like Draper and such. But that's not the topic.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."