• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
swiss_fan

Hudler done with dynamo

Rate this topic

Well, if Hudler is done with Dynamo, that's good news for us. He still has a year left on his contract with them, aside from the opt-out clause that allows him to return to the NHL.

This means either he is leaving the KHL entirely and going to a DIFFERENT European league, or he's back next season (most likely) and Wings fans will generally be pleased.

So with Hudler back, the current SIGNED Wings roster for next season:

Forwards:

Datsyuk $6.7m

Zetterberg $6,083,333

Franzen $3,954,545

Filppula $3m

Hudler $2.875m

Cleary $2.8m

Draper $1,583,333

Defense:

Rafalski $6m

Stuart $3.75m

Kronwall $3m

Ericsson $900k

Kindl $883,333

Goalie:

Osgood $1,416,666

Howard $716,666

Total cap hit: $43,662,876

Cap space (assuming no change): $13,137,124

Forwards on the active roster who will be RFAs this summer: Helm, Eaves, Miller

Other notable RFA forwards: Abdelkader

Forwards on the active roster who will be UFAs this summer: Holmstrom, Williams, Bertuzzi, Maltby

Defensemen on the active roster who will be RFAs this summer: Meech

Other notable RFA defensemen: Kolosov

Defensemen on the active roster who will be UFAs this summer: Lidstrom, Lilja, Lebda

Other notable UFA defensemen: Janik

All of the signed players I listed above will likely play on the regular roster, with Kindl possibly rotating in with Ericsson and whoever the #7 is.

The Wings need to sign five forwards and one defenseman to their everyday roster, plus anywhere from one to three spare players.

If Lilja continues his pro career, he will almost certainly be re-signed. If not, he will probably be replaced with someone who would most likely be RFA Meech, who has solid potential as a two-way defenseman, is quick and versatile, and is very cost-effective. Assuming Lilja returns, he likely rotates in with Kindl and Ericsson to get them as much playing time as possible.

No we're looking at Lidstrom. Interviews have suggested he'll return. He probably takes a pay cut, likely down to tha $4-5m range. If he doesn't return, that's probably about what's spent on his "replacement".

So having determined that the Wings probably spend about $7m on their defense at the top end, figure the Wings will then see about $6m left to spend on six forwards.

Hudler returning throws a wrench in keeping scoring forwards, and Bertuzzi is out unless he is willing to accept a similar deal to what he has. So let's focus on the cheaper guys, while leaving open a spot for what Bertuzzi would have to accept. Abdelkader is a darn good player, but he likely won't see much of a raise. Figure him in at $900k. Eaves and Miller can be seen at $750k each, and Helm at $1m.

That's $3.4m, leaving $2.6m. Still left as UFA from this season's roster are Holmstrom, Maltby, Williams, and Bertuzzi. Williams is probably gone with Hudler returning. The Wings would still need to sign two forwards, so that they have 12 regulars and a spare. With his season-ending injury, Maltby may choose to retire after the season. If the team wins the Cup or comes close, it's highly IMO likely both Maltby and Homer are gone. This would leave about $2m for Bert and another $500k to sign that last guy, perhaps even a guy like Evan McGrath or Ryan Oulahen who has been waiting for a chance. Keeping Kris Newbury as the spare forward is another potential move the Wings might make.

But if the Wings were able to keep Bert while losing Homer, the forwards would be:

Zetterberg

Datsyuk

Franzen

Hudler

Filppula

Bertuzzi

Cleary

Eaves

Miller

Helm

Abdelkader

Draper

Newbury (?)

Lidstrom (?)

Kronwall

Rafalski

Stuart

Lilja

Ericsson

Kindl

Which projects lines out to, keeping lines that have shown chemistry recently:

Hudler/Datsyuk/Franzen

Filppula/Zetterberg/Bertuzzi

Miller/Abdelkader/Cleary

Draper/Helm/Eaves

Newbury (?)

Lidstrom/Rafalski

Kronwall/Stuart

Lilja-Ericsson-Kindl

Howard/Osgood

PP1: Hudler/Datsyuk/Franzen/Lidstrom/Rafalski

PP2: Filppula/Zetterberg/Bertuzzi/Kronwall/Ericsson-Kindl

PK1: Helm/Miller/Lidstrom/Lilja

PK2: Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Kronwall/Stuart

PK3: Filppula/Cleary

That's kinda scary good, actually. And if Homer doesn't retire, it probably shifts the lines around somewhat as Bertuzzi is likely not to take the $2m that keeps him on the roster.

I'm not sure how you came up with some of this.

Lilja is a regular and will play everyday. He isn't going to rotate with anybody.

Holmstrom has said he wants to return and the Wings said that they want him. He isn't going anywhere.

Odd men out are Willy and maybe Bert

Yeah, because winning it for Hossa worked so well last time.. :P

Nah, Hossa was win it for himself, he is a Cup chaser unfortunately he is stuck in Chicago now and if they don't win it this year, they are done with their cap issues...

Win it for Drake, Win it for Duschesne/Robitaille, win it for the Russians, Tkachuk pretty much has been a loyal Blue (and Jet/Coyote.) His career is closing and if he wants a Cup he serously needs to look this off season for his best chance to get one. Say what you will about Pitt and Chicago or Washington, but Detroit should be his first choice. I think he would fit well with this team...

Edited by LeftWinger

Nah, Hossa was win it for himself, he is a Cup chaser unfortunately he is stuck in Chicago now and if they don't win it this year, they are done with their cap issues...

Win it for Drake, Win it for Duschesne/Robitaille, win it for the Russians, Tkachuk pretty much has been a loyal Blue (and Jet/Coyote.) His career is closing and if he wants a Cup he serously needs to look this off season for his best chance to get one. Say what you will about Pitt and Chicago or Washington, but Detroit should be his first choice. I think he would fit well with this team...

we should help them out by trading for hossa.

ugh...the whole concept of the Wings as the Make-A-Wish Foundation is just distasteful. Everybody is a Cup chaser. Win it for the Winged Wheel.

I want the man who never stops smiling.

hudlerlaugh.jpg

In Soviet Russia, smile wears you.

Although I don't think Hudler is going to be the Messiah of the Jews like Eva believes, I do think we could use his scoring punch. Like someone else said, though, he best make his intentions clear early so he doesn't handcuff the team again. That part pissed me off the most.

Looks like he's doing cock pushups, Doc

To me it looks like some little grumpy bear isn't putting his head down for naptime!

Actually it's pilates. Good for core muscle strength.

Not that I've ever done it. :unsure:

um, I'm gonna go. I gotta go shotgun some beers and bang chicks and beat up guys and stuff.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

We don't need no stinkin' KHL points! Them's like Canadian dollars...oh, wait...

lol, as a Canadian I kinda enjoy the dollar on par with the American one. Although there are some downsides.

To me it looks like some little grumpy bear isn't putting his head down for naptime!

Actually it's pilates. Good for core muscle strength.

Not that I've ever done it. :unsure:

um, I'm gonna go. I gotta go shotgun some beers and bang chicks and beat up guys and stuff.

Hey Harold, what is your shotgun method on beers? lol. Good post, made me laugh.

I honestly don't want Hudler back for a few reasons. He's a poor skater, he is way too small, and he gets knocked off the puck way to easy (doesn't work in our scheme.) Not to mention who wants to watch our team get picked on every game because everyone goes for Hudler (Phaenuf hit, The Mike Brown elbow.) The biggest reason overall is he left the team for money... Alot of us would do the same, I don't hate the guy for it but I don't want him back on the team... It's a slap in the face to Lidstrom, Yzerman, and others throughout the years who take pay-cuts to play for an organization that exudes class. Letting Hudler come back would be like letting your son who deals crack come live with you. Sure he CAN put up 60pts +/- but we could also find someone else to do so, although it'd be harder.

I hate to say this as I love both but Im thinking something new!

Yeah, if Cleary could play top6 we could afford to lost them both.

TOP6: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Hudler, Filppula, Cleary

BOTTOM6: Eaves, Helm, Abdelkader, Draper, Miller, "Boogaard"

+ Maltby/Ritola etc.

Well Steve Downie is putting up Rick Tocchet-type numbers i'd pick him up in a heartbeat.Avery,Cooke,Pronger-no thanks.

Downie from TB - 46 pts in 75 games, getting about 16-17 minutes a game

Clarkson from NJ - 21 pts in 40 games, getting about 13-14 minutes a game

both are RFA's at seasons end and would likely need to be traded for (Kenny will not sign an offer sheet), but one of them plays the game with honor and is a good locker room guy...

I'd take Clarkson over Downie... esepcially since he will likely cost less to fill a 3rd line role - we do not really need any guys that expect top 6 minutes...

Guest Lidstromboli

Letting Hudler come back would be like letting your son who deals crack come live with you. Sure he CAN put up 60pts +/- but we could also find someone else to do so, although it'd be harder.

what an awful analogy

Downie from TB - 46 pts in 75 games, getting about 16-17 minutes a game

Clarkson from NJ - 21 pts in 40 games, getting about 13-14 minutes a game

both are RFA's at seasons end and would likely need to be traded for (Kenny will not sign an offer sheet), but one of them plays the game with honor and is a good locker room guy...

I'd take Clarkson over Downie... esepcially since he will likely cost less to fill a 3rd line role - we do not really need any guys that expect top 6 minutes...

I'd take Clarkson over Downie as well because Clarkson is more of a fighter and Downie is more of an agitator. Downie however does have all the tools to be a 25-30 goal scorer while playing with a chip on his shoulder. I would happily trade Hudler for either of these guys. Clarkson really is like a new age Mccarty and he doesn't seem to have the poor dressing room attitude either.

Doubt it'll happen but it would be nice to see either of these guys with the wings.

I'd take Clarkson over Downie as well because Clarkson is more of a fighter and Downie is more of an agitator. Downie however does have all the tools to be a 25-30 goal scorer while playing with a chip on his shoulder. I would happily trade Hudler for either of these guys. Clarkson really is like a new age Mccarty and he doesn't seem to have the poor dressing room attitude either.

Doubt it'll happen but it would be nice to see either of these guys with the wings.

Because the wings don't have:

Abs, Miller, Eaves, Maltby, Draper, Helm, Bert, Ritola fight for bottom six time already? This team doesnt need more bottom six players, they need scoring wingers. Hudler is a scoring winger, he fits what the wings need at this point, secondary scoring.

Besides who needs an enforcer when we have Howard?

If he tried to come back and still had a year left on his contract with the KHL, things would not be too pretty between the leagues. I highly doubt we see him until his contract is up.