144 replies to this topic

#61 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:35 PM

Yeah, it's pretty much the same.

And maybe Kopitar is better than Filppula ;)

And whether or not you want to admit it, Hudler has been given the chance to play in the top six yet has never given reason to make Babcock stay there. Frolov is a proven top 6er, Hudler isn't. In fact with the evidence we have, it's logical to say that Frolov would do better on the second line than Hudler. But I do concede that I'd rather have Hudler than Frolov (unless Frolov would sign for like, 2m or something)

And AGAIN, I'm not saying Hudler wouldn't be good. I'm just saying, if we can afford it (which it doesn't look like we can), I'd rather have a 4-5m bonafide top 6er over Hudler. That's it.

Bolded: So producing less with better linemates and more icetime leads you to this? You do realise a goal scored on the 3rd line is worth the same as one scored on the 2nd right?

With that being said, I was not personally referencing you when I called out the Frolov slappies, and would agree that a legit top-6er like Marleau for example would be desirable, though I'm not so sure if I like putting that much cap space into such a small base amount of players.

Even with that taken into consideration, you will not find many bargains than Hudler's production at his price.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#62 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:37 PM

I don't want either Frolov or Hudler.

Give me Steve Downie.

#63 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:39 PM

agreed.

my projected roster for next year:
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($1.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m)
Drew Miller ($0.750m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.900m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
Kris Draper ($1.583m) / Darren Helm ($1.000m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.800m)
Mattias Ritola ($0.600m)

Nicklas Lidstrom ($3.450m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)
Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)
Andreas Lilja ($1.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

Jimmy Howard ($0.717m) / Chris Osgood ($1.417m)

ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $53.663m; CAP ROOM: $3.137m BONUSES: $0.000m

I guess I just dont understand why people are so relectuant to break up Drapes/Helm/Eaves in spite of our third line??? Helm and Eaves can be third line guys next season, pair them with cleary and move Miller and Abdelkader back to the forth line with Draper and im happy.

#64 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:43 AM

Give me Steve Downie.

Where'd you hear he was on the trading block? Is his price cheaper than zero assets and a 2 year 2.875 million dollar contract?
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#65 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:59 AM

Give me Steve Downie.

If only. Get Avery on board as well!

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#66 ComradeWasabi

ComradeWasabi

the abdelgator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:28 AM

yes, so did Hossa, but typical Holland will give Lidstrom all the time he wants to decide and then lose out on all the good UFA's including our own and then give Lidstrom $7MM and waste what little cap space we'll have after that on Jason Williams, Haken Puken and Finneas Ferb.

BTW, :puke: on Hudler coming back, use that $3MM somewhere else... I'd rather have Tkachuk here for a little veteran motivation to "win it for him..."

Yeah, because winning it for Hossa worked so well last time.. :P
QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 10:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

#67 T.OWingsFan

T.OWingsFan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:32 AM

Man, the guys who don't want Hudler back are right. If there's one thing the Wings don't need this year it's a guy who can put 60+ points up and make the 2nd PP more dangerous.

Let's bring Williams back then! :lol:

Well said.

#68 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:05 AM

If only. Get Avery on board as well!

Downie is a cancer and a sorry excuse for a human being and so is Avery... want to add Cooke and Pronger as well?

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#69 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:21 AM

Bolded: So producing less with better linemates and more icetime leads you to this? You do realise a goal scored on the 3rd line is worth the same as one scored on the 2nd right?

With that being said, I was not personally referencing you when I called out the Frolov slappies, and would agree that a legit top-6er like Marleau for example would be desirable, though I'm not so sure if I like putting that much cap space into such a small base amount of players.

Even with that taken into consideration, you will not find many bargains than Hudler's production at his price.

I was never a huge Hudler fan, but c'mon. Watch some of the '08 and '09 playoff games, and he was another guy figuring into some of those results the same way that Sammy, Cleary, and others would occasionally get on the scoreboard. Heck, we made it all the way to Game 7 of the Cup Finals using basically nothing but secondary scoring. Datsyuk and Hossa were rendered far less effective due to injury. If we could reintroduce a guy on a value contract who is easily a 60+ point player, I'm all for it. Or, if Babcock can't stand him, trade him.

#70 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:41 AM

I want the man who never stops smiling.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#71 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:42 AM

Where'd you hear he was on the trading block? Is his price cheaper than zero assets and a 2 year 2.875 million dollar contract?

Carman trolls deliberately in order to get this sort of reaction from people. Ignore him.

#72 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:46 AM

Carman trolls deliberately in order to get this sort of reaction from people. Ignore him.

[IMG]http://imgur.com/MtNLe.jpg[/IMG]

#73 ilmickeyli

ilmickeyli

Meatwad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:55 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#74 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

I would love to have Hudler back next season.

Also I think that Lidstrom would take a paycut, but people expect him to take a cut to 3.5 million...

Its a home town discount...not a home town clearence sale...I'd expect closer to a 5 million dollar salary

#75 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

I want the man who never stops smiling.

Posted Image

I was hoping someone would post this. THIS is the number one reason why I want Huds back.

#76 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:13 AM

Well, if Hudler is done with Dynamo, that's good news for us. He still has a year left on his contract with them, aside from the opt-out clause that allows him to return to the NHL.

This means either he is leaving the KHL entirely and going to a DIFFERENT European league, or he's back next season (most likely) and Wings fans will generally be pleased.

So with Hudler back, the current SIGNED Wings roster for next season:

Forwards:
Datsyuk $6.7m
Zetterberg $6,083,333
Franzen $3,954,545
Filppula $3m
Hudler $2.875m
Cleary $2.8m
Draper $1,583,333

Defense:
Rafalski $6m
Stuart $3.75m
Kronwall $3m
Ericsson $900k
Kindl $883,333

Goalie:

Osgood $1,416,666
Howard $716,666

Total cap hit: $43,662,876
Cap space (assuming no change): $13,137,124

Forwards on the active roster who will be RFAs this summer: Helm, Eaves, Miller
Other notable RFA forwards: Abdelkader
Forwards on the active roster who will be UFAs this summer: Holmstrom, Williams, Bertuzzi, Maltby

Defensemen on the active roster who will be RFAs this summer: Meech
Other notable RFA defensemen: Kolosov
Defensemen on the active roster who will be UFAs this summer: Lidstrom, Lilja, Lebda
Other notable UFA defensemen: Janik

All of the signed players I listed above will likely play on the regular roster, with Kindl possibly rotating in with Ericsson and whoever the #7 is.
The Wings need to sign five forwards and one defenseman to their everyday roster, plus anywhere from one to three spare players.

If Lilja continues his pro career, he will almost certainly be re-signed. If not, he will probably be replaced with someone who would most likely be RFA Meech, who has solid potential as a two-way defenseman, is quick and versatile, and is very cost-effective. Assuming Lilja returns, he likely rotates in with Kindl and Ericsson to get them as much playing time as possible.

No we're looking at Lidstrom. Interviews have suggested he'll return. He probably takes a pay cut, likely down to tha $4-5m range. If he doesn't return, that's probably about what's spent on his "replacement".

So having determined that the Wings probably spend about $7m on their defense at the top end, figure the Wings will then see about $6m left to spend on six forwards.

Hudler returning throws a wrench in keeping scoring forwards, and Bertuzzi is out unless he is willing to accept a similar deal to what he has. So let's focus on the cheaper guys, while leaving open a spot for what Bertuzzi would have to accept. Abdelkader is a darn good player, but he likely won't see much of a raise. Figure him in at $900k. Eaves and Miller can be seen at $750k each, and Helm at $1m.

That's $3.4m, leaving $2.6m. Still left as UFA from this season's roster are Holmstrom, Maltby, Williams, and Bertuzzi. Williams is probably gone with Hudler returning. The Wings would still need to sign two forwards, so that they have 12 regulars and a spare. With his season-ending injury, Maltby may choose to retire after the season. If the team wins the Cup or comes close, it's highly IMO likely both Maltby and Homer are gone. This would leave about $2m for Bert and another $500k to sign that last guy, perhaps even a guy like Evan McGrath or Ryan Oulahen who has been waiting for a chance. Keeping Kris Newbury as the spare forward is another potential move the Wings might make.

But if the Wings were able to keep Bert while losing Homer, the forwards would be:
Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Franzen
Hudler
Filppula
Bertuzzi
Cleary
Eaves
Miller
Helm
Abdelkader
Draper
Newbury (?)

Lidstrom (?)
Kronwall
Rafalski
Stuart
Lilja
Ericsson
Kindl

Which projects lines out to, keeping lines that have shown chemistry recently:
Hudler/Datsyuk/Franzen
Filppula/Zetterberg/Bertuzzi
Miller/Abdelkader/Cleary
Draper/Helm/Eaves
Newbury (?)

Lidstrom/Rafalski
Kronwall/Stuart
Lilja-Ericsson-Kindl

Howard/Osgood

PP1: Hudler/Datsyuk/Franzen/Lidstrom/Rafalski
PP2: Filppula/Zetterberg/Bertuzzi/Kronwall/Ericsson-Kindl

PK1: Helm/Miller/Lidstrom/Lilja
PK2: Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Kronwall/Stuart
PK3: Filppula/Cleary

That's kinda scary good, actually. And if Homer doesn't retire, it probably shifts the lines around somewhat as Bertuzzi is likely not to take the $2m that keeps him on the roster.

I'm not sure how you came up with some of this.

Lilja is a regular and will play everyday. He isn't going to rotate with anybody.

Holmstrom has said he wants to return and the Wings said that they want him. He isn't going anywhere.

Odd men out are Willy and maybe Bert
Do or do not. There is no try

#77 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

Yeah, because winning it for Hossa worked so well last time.. :P

Nah, Hossa was win it for himself, he is a Cup chaser unfortunately he is stuck in Chicago now and if they don't win it this year, they are done with their cap issues...

Win it for Drake, Win it for Duschesne/Robitaille, win it for the Russians, Tkachuk pretty much has been a loyal Blue (and Jet/Coyote.) His career is closing and if he wants a Cup he serously needs to look this off season for his best chance to get one. Say what you will about Pitt and Chicago or Washington, but Detroit should be his first choice. I think he would fit well with this team...

Edited by LeftWinger, 01 April 2010 - 11:17 AM.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#78 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:29 AM

Nah, Hossa was win it for himself, he is a Cup chaser unfortunately he is stuck in Chicago now and if they don't win it this year, they are done with their cap issues...

Win it for Drake, Win it for Duschesne/Robitaille, win it for the Russians, Tkachuk pretty much has been a loyal Blue (and Jet/Coyote.) His career is closing and if he wants a Cup he serously needs to look this off season for his best chance to get one. Say what you will about Pitt and Chicago or Washington, but Detroit should be his first choice. I think he would fit well with this team...

we should help them out by trading for hossa.

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image

#79 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:39 AM

people are forgetting that Lids is gunna take a Stevie Y type paycut so Kenny can go after one of the top scoring ufa forwards available, u heard it here first.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#80 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:56 AM

ugh...the whole concept of the Wings as the Make-A-Wish Foundation is just distasteful. Everybody is a Cup chaser. Win it for the Winged Wheel.

works every time