• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#101 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:26 PM

If he tried to come back and still had a year left on his contract with the KHL, things would not be too pretty between the leagues. I highly doubt we see him until his contract is up.

He has an out clause, hes allowed to walk away from the contract after this season, theres nothing the KHL can say.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#102 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:31 PM

He has an out clause, hes allowed to walk away from the contract after this season, theres nothing the KHL can say.

Sir, apparently you have not heard of the Russian mob. Little Hudler better have learned how to skate faster if he wants to leave Mother Russia unscathed.

#103 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:55 PM

Sir, apparently you have not heard of the Russian mob. Little Hudler better have learned how to skate faster if he wants to leave Mother Russia unscathed.

He will just run through their legs, or throw a hooker at them, I trust Hudler can take care of himself.
Im Wasser verbrannt

#104 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:05 PM

Because the wings don't have:

Abs, Miller, Eaves, Maltby, Draper, Helm, Bert, Ritola fight for bottom six time already? This team doesnt need more bottom six players, they need scoring wingers. Hudler is a scoring winger, he fits what the wings need at this point, secondary scoring.

Besides who needs an enforcer when we have Howard?

Well Bert and Maltby might not be here next year. Draper probably has one more year. Bert plays in the top 6 anyways.

Downie has 22 goals this year and plays with a chip on his shoulder.Hudler topped out at 23 here and was small and soft. Downie is a guy you can put in your top 6 that can produce and could go smack someone around a bit if they take a run at Pavel or Z. He would be a great addition to this team. Oh yeah and he's 3 years younger.

Clarkson while not a top 6 player could potentially be one. He's the same age as Hudler has scored 17 goals for the defensive Devils with no real scorers on the team besides Parise. You trade Hudler for him and a pick to a team that could use some offense and the returns are probably worth it. We get our tough guy that can play regularly and get maybe like a 2nd round pick.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#105 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:44 PM

Is this a definite fact? I've heard a lot of speculation that he may, but not that he does.

#106 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

Well Bert and Maltby might not be here next year. Draper probably has one more year. Bert plays in the top 6 anyways.

Downie has 22 goals this year and plays with a chip on his shoulder.Hudler topped out at 23 here and was small and soft. Downie is a guy you can put in your top 6 that can produce and could go smack someone around a bit if they take a run at Pavel or Z. He would be a great addition to this team. Oh yeah and he's 3 years younger.

Clarkson while not a top 6 player could potentially be one. He's the same age as Hudler has scored 17 goals for the defensive Devils with no real scorers on the team besides Parise. You trade Hudler for him and a pick to a team that could use some offense and the returns are probably worth it. We get our tough guy that can play regularly and get maybe like a 2nd round pick.

Cause, you know, Downie hasn't been playing with guys like Marty St. Louis and Steven Stamkos most of the year...

Can someone post the TOI Hudler had while he was here? Seriously it amazes me people still act like Hudler wasn't getting bottom 6 minutes and still brought second line numbers to the Wings.

Posted Image

#107 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

Cause, you know, Downie hasn't been playing with guys like Marty St. Louis and Steven Stamkos most of the year...

Can someone post the TOI Hudler had while he was here? Seriously it amazes me people still act like Hudler wasn't getting bottom 6 minutes and still brought second line numbers to the Wings.

13:39 per game... 9th on the team. Finished 5th on the team with 57 points.

#108 T.OWingsFan

T.OWingsFan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:01 PM

I don't want either Frolov or Hudler.

Give me Steve Downie.

Who asked who you wanted?

Why is this guy still here? Anyone got an answer?

#109 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:13 PM

Who asked who you wanted?

Why is this guy still here? Anyone got an answer?

I'm still here because 1). I'm not doing anything wrong. 2). There are some people that actually comprehend that wanting high paid Steve Downie over Hudler is a pretty preposterous opinion and is most likely a joke.

Is that answer sufficient enough for you?

#110 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

13:39 per game... 9th on the team. Finished 5th on the team with 57 points.

Downie plays 14:36 not really much of a difference. And he's playing against other teams better lines. Hudler got those stats against other third lines and on the PP. Hudler's a great player but I would take Downie and a 4th rounder anyday.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#111 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:58 PM

Downie plays 14:36 not really much of a difference. And he's playing against other teams better lines. Hudler got those stats against other third lines and on the PP. Hudler's a great player but I would take Downie and a 4th rounder anyday.

Again, look at who hes playing with in Tampa, no way hes going to play on a line that good here. That, and hes going to get more than what Hudlers making, I can almost promise you that.
Im Wasser verbrannt

#112 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:05 PM

Once again, he is playing with St. Louis and Stamkos. Hudler didn't play with the top lines except on the powerplay.

Considering Hudler has improved in point totals since he has been a regular on the team (while playing with 3rd liners most of the time) I don't see how you could even think to say no because a player with more "tenacity" is having his first decent year while playing with a forward who has 46 goals currently and another with 90 points (don't forget the Hart and Pearson trophies he has shining on his mantle).

Posted Image

#113 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:33 AM

With Hudler returning next year's roster seems to be pretty well set:

Johan Franzen $3,954,545
Pavel Datsyuk $6,700,000
* Tomas Holmstrom $1,750,000

* Hudler $2,875,000
Henrik Zetterberg $6,083,333
Valtteri Filppula $3,000,000

Daniel Cleary $2,800,000
* Justin Abdelkader $1,000,000
* Drew Miller $875,000

Kris Draper $1,583,333
* Darren Helm $925,000
* Patrick Eaves $925,000

* Kirk Maltby $500,000

Brian Rafalski $6,000,000
* Nicklas Lidstrom $5,000,000
Brad Stuart $3,750,000
Niklas Kronwall $3,000,000
* Andreas Lilja $1,250,000
Jonathan Ericsson $900,000
Jakub Kindl $883,333

Chris Osgood $1,416,666
Jimmy Howard $716,666

TOTAL $55,887,876.00 about $1 mil under the cap.
Defense and goaltending win championships!!!

#114 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:43 AM

He will just run through their legs, or throw a hooker at them, I trust Hudler can take care of himself.

:lol: My favourite mental image of the day so far.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#115 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

Once again, he is playing with St. Louis and Stamkos. Hudler didn't play with the top lines except on the powerplay.

Considering Hudler has improved in point totals since he has been a regular on the team (while playing with 3rd liners most of the time) I don't see how you could even think to say no because a player with more "tenacity" is having his first decent year while playing with a forward who has 46 goals currently and another with 90 points (don't forget the Hart and Pearson trophies he has shining on his mantle).

He obviously isn't playing with them all the time if he's getting 14 minutes of ice a game. I know I've watched and he does play with Stamkos quite a bit but he clearly doesn't play with them all the time or he would be getting more then 14 minutes. And St. louis isn't always on that line he shifts around. But either way if he was on their line he's still playing against other teams top lines, something Huds never did here because hes small and weak defensively.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#116 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:14 PM

He obviously isn't playing with them all the time if he's getting 14 minutes of ice a game. I know I've watched and he does play with Stamkos quite a bit but he clearly doesn't play with them all the time or he would be getting more then 14 minutes. And St. louis isn't always on that line he shifts around. But either way if he was on their line he's still playing against other teams top lines, something Huds never did here because hes small and weak defensively.

For starters, if he is playing LESS time than Stamkos and St. Louis, that would mean the pair are not playing with Downie every shift. Which would mean Downie would be on the bench.

Secondly, whether you are up against the other team's top lines is irrelevant if you have a possible 50 goal scorer and a 90+ point Hart and Pearson winner on either side of you. Hudler never had anything close to that and Downie wouldn't have anything like that on the Wings.

Thirdly, what makes you think Downie has any more defensive abilities than Hudler? (also don't give me the size balogna, since he scored 57 points regardless)

Finally we can't forget the possibility that Tampa will not likely part with Downie, and that Hudler belongs to the Wings when he comes back. Would be silly to say no to a player who chose not to go to a competing club and stick with the team after leaving for Russia for a couple years, no?

There is nothing that would cause a rational GM to take Downie over Hudler.

Posted Image

#117 GONGSHOW HOCKEY

GONGSHOW HOCKEY

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

For starters, if he is playing LESS time than Stamkos and St. Louis, that would mean the pair are not playing with Downie every shift. Which would mean Downie would be on the bench.

Secondly, whether you are up against the other team's top lines is irrelevant if you have a possible 50 goal scorer and a 90+ point Hart and Pearson winner on either side of you. Hudler never had anything close to that and Downie wouldn't have anything like that on the Wings.

Thirdly, what makes you think Downie has any more defensive abilities than Hudler? (also don't give me the size balogna, since he scored 57 points regardless)

Finally we can't forget the possibility that Tampa will not likely part with Downie, and that Hudler belongs to the Wings when he comes back. Would be silly to say no to a player who chose not to go to a competing club and stick with the team after leaving for Russia for a couple years, no?

There is nothing that would cause a rational GM to take Downie over Hudler.

Besides the fact that he's 3 years younger, is putting up just as many points as Hudler in his second season in the NHL, and plays with a chip on his shoulder that the Wings could really need.

#118 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:46 PM

Besides the fact that he's 3 years younger, is putting up just as many points as Hudler in his second season in the NHL, and plays with a chip on his shoulder that the Wings could really need.

And once again the fact he has been playing with Stamkos and St. Louis is ignored...

Posted Image

#119 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:26 AM

And once again the fact he has been playing with Stamkos and St. Louis is ignored...

I don't see how you could say you'd be happier with Hudler here than Downie....
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#120 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:33 AM

I don't see how you could say you'd be happier with Hudler here than Downie....

Did I not make myself clear when I explained why Hudler is a better option than Downie? A player who has been CONSISTENTLY getting better with 3rd line minutes (and 3rd line teammates) over a player who gets to line up with a 40+ goal scorer and a 90+ pt Hart/Pearson winner (and hasn't even matched the point totals of Hudler's 08-09 season yet)?

Edited by Doc Holliday, 04 April 2010 - 09:34 AM.

Posted Image