• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:53 AM

Needless to say, Calgary's game against the Avs tonight is kinda a big deal.

Who do we want to win that game?

#42 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:55 AM

Needless to say, Calgary's game against the Avs tonight is kinda a big deal.

It really would be hysterical to see the Flames catch Colorado and knock them out of the playoff picture given the start the Avalanche had to this season.

It truly defied logic how well they were playing to start this season and now they're playing at the level that roster should be....and hanging on for dear life. The final day of the regular season can't get here soon enough for Avalanche fans.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#43 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:15 AM

I don't think it really matters. Personally, I can see Kippur alone frustrating SJ more so than the Avs could, but I don't think either of those teams has the chops to be anything other than a first-round exit.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#44 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:20 AM

TSN reported that an optional skate has held yesterday and only five showed up; one who did skate was Iginla and, apparently, he never shows up at the optionals.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#45 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:27 AM

I don't think it really matters. Personally, I can see Kippur alone frustrating SJ more so than the Avs could, but I don't think either of those teams has the chops to be anything other than a first-round exit.

The Flames haven't won a playoff series since making the Finals in 2004. I'm not worried about them being a threat if they qualify.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#46 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:48 AM

The Flames haven't won a playoff series since making the Finals in 2004. I'm not worried about them being a threat if they qualify.

Nor do I, as indicated in my post. I just feel Kippur could steal a couple games against SJ, making their road to the second round a little more difficult. Couple that with being "roughed up" more so (given Calgary is more physical than Colorado) and the Sharks first round could prove to be tiresome.

Sidenote: It's not as if the Avalanche have done a ton of postseason winning since 2004 either (2 total postseason series wins).

#47 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:59 AM

i am hoping colorado. i actually root for them a bit because of kyle quincey and ryan wilson. i got to see ryan wilson a lot when he was with the qc flames so i hope he does well and obvious reasons for quincey wanting to see him succeed. i know the avs used to be hated, but i like all their young guys.

neither team is going to make it far or play us, so i figure might as well root for colorado.

also would love to see calgary choke after how good they thought they were this year.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#48 Wings_Fan_In_Exile

Wings_Fan_In_Exile

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:04 PM

The Avs so I can attend playoff games! :P
thanks offsides!

#49 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:59 AM

Avalanche = Fail

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#50 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:18 AM

You've joined the class of Eva Unit Zero, Matt, Shoreline, Heroes of Hockeytown, Detroit #1 Fan, YoungGuns1340, Norrisnick, Puckloo39, HockeyCrazy3033, NeverForgetMac25, Edicius and SouthernWingsFan.

You're lucky 13.

Wow, I have a long way to go if I want to reach the level of these 13, and I've been here since 2003!

:lol: I was just thinking, with SJ and Calgary being the biggest choke teams West, the way for one of them to make it past the 1st round is have them face each other. One of them has to win!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#51 Off the Post

Off the Post

Rookie

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:13 AM

If the Av's lose there spot i will be shocked...

#52 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,666 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

Wow, I have a long way to go if I want to reach the level of these 13, and I've been here since 2003!

:lol: I was just thinking, with SJ and Calgary being the biggest choke teams West, the way for one of them to make it past the 1st round is have them face each other. One of them has to win!

San Jose usually makes it past the first round. It's the second round that always does them in.

These teams met in the first round several years ago, with the Sharks winning.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#53 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:00 AM

With Calgary's loss and Colorado's win last night, the Flames were officially eliminated from playoff contention.

Calgary Herald Articles

#54 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:48 AM

Calgary: no playoffs.
No playoffs: no Sutters.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#55 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:58 AM

Calgary is easily one of the biggest disappointments of the season. Good, solid team with the addition of Bouwmeester in the offseason and a Vezina caliber goalie usually bodes well for success. With the exception of Kipper, they grossly underachieved this season. The complete overhaul of the team midseason didn't help things, either.

#56 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:11 AM

The Calgary Maple Leafs miss the playoffs. Total shocker! ;)

They deserve it.

I still can't believe they gave Matt Stajan 3.5mil a season. He's totally not worth it.

Edited by puffy, 07 April 2010 - 09:15 AM.

#57 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:32 AM

that team needs to dump sutter. he caught lightning in a bottle once and has since done nothing. they have no prospects and don't have any early round draft picks this year. he keeps mortgaging the future for the present, but each year they fail to do anything.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#58 tonyfranks16

tonyfranks16

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:48 AM

Hasta Lasagna Flames!
send Sutter packing and send Iggy to a team that deserves him!

looks like JayBo was a bust too.
I wouldn't want to be in Calgary right now, that much passion/anger in the crowd for the remaining games... could be ugly.

#59 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:48 AM

The Calgary Puck forums were "unavailable" this morning.

#60 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,026 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:23 PM

Many reasons for the Flames failures this year, and boy did they all make me smile :D
It's a good day in this town when hockey seasons over early.

Sutter made too many mistakes. He paid a heavy price for Jokinen at the deadline, when he failed he was dealt for 2 bums from the Rangers. Now they're stuck with Kotalik at 3mil a year. He put alot of money in Bouwmeester who failed badly. His worst moves IMO, were trading for losers. I'm a huge Leafs supporter, but he dealt a 24 year defenceman who was having an off year for Stajan, White Hagman and Mayers. White and Stajan have been good, but they arent cornerstones of a franchise and dont know how to win. They traded for Toskala... and the guy they dealt him for who never got a chance in Calgary has posted these numbers in Anaheim: 5-0-2 GAA: 2.34 SV%: .925. Well done Darryl. On top of all that, he's got Staois, Sarich and Regehr all locked up for a combined $10,320,000. 4 goals combined, and not the greatest +/- ratings. Going into next year, the Flames have 16 players at 49.1mil in cap. They are screwed, unless they waive/buyout/manage to find someone dumb enough to take the bad contracts, this wont be the only season they miss the playoffs. If only they had just signed Theo Fleury back in training camp, could've fixed this all :lol:

#NOMOREKINDL