Photo
- - - - -

Does this year prove that hockey doesnt belong in phoenix?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 wmubronco420

wmubronco420

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:03 PM

So we all know the ordeal with what happened to the coyotes, with being bankrupt and not making the playoffs since 2002. Bettman fought hard to be able to keep this "experiment" going w/ hockey in the desert.

So far this year the Coyotes are 4th in the west and have the 2nd best point total in the conferance. Yet, they are still lowest in attendance among NHL teams. If a season like this doesnt do anything to spur interest, then what will?

Posted Image

#2 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:18 PM

are there any legitimate sites for attendance?

espn isn't exactly the most reliable site for nhl info

Posted Image

#3 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

Wait until the playoffs. If they cannot sell out playoff games I say they don't belong.

I give them benefit of the doubt until then.

#4 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:47 PM

I disagree.

At the end of the summer people weren't even sure whether the Coyotes would be playing in Phoenix. Shockingly, they struggled to get businesses to buy into the team. :P Season ticket holder numbers plummeted along with any certainty that the team would be there.

Sustained success will lead to attendance. Fans want to watch successful teams play. Only the most established teams can afford to blow and still make money.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#5 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:03 PM

I don't think there exists a spot where hockey doesn't belong. The trouble is catering the game to folks who are largely ignorant of the sport, which is something the NHL has struggled with in some markets. As for whether Phoenix should have a hockey team based on their attendance records- I think Drake Marcus is right. People want successful teams. I remember versing the Coyotes in 98 in the playoffs and their arena was completely sold out and the crowd was all one color.

Edited by Echolalia, 31 March 2010 - 07:04 PM.

#6 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:13 PM

If they don't sell out during the playoffs then it's just flat out embarrassing. Most crappy markets can develop a decent bandwagon fanbase during the playoffs. If they can't even do that then they don't deserve a team.

#7 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:25 PM

See: '98 Wings road to the cup

I remember their arena was packed during that series and the fans were crazy. Of course, those were the days Tkachuk and Roenick were a force together and Khabibulin made a name for himself.

Anybody remember in that series when Fedorov shot the puck (to dump it in) and it hit perfectly off the back boards to Khabibulin's skate and in the net? It was insanely good luck.

#8 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:33 PM

Aren't rumors going around that they'll be moved to Winnipeg as soon as next season?

I think it's pretty clear hockey doesn't belong in Phoenix. Who could have predicted that, it seemed like such a great fit.

#9 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:52 PM

Aren't rumors going around that they'll be moved to Winnipeg as soon as next season?

I think it's pretty clear hockey doesn't belong in Phoenix. Who could have predicted that, it seemed like such a great fit.

Just another 1 of many poor decisions made by the NHL...No wonder the league is looked upon as a joke by it's rivals.

Move the "Yotes" back to Winnipeg, and the Thrashers to Hamilton as all will be well.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#10 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

yeah...and not to mention their last home game vs the avs they had over 17,000...so...look for it to increase come playoff time

#11 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:21 PM

Yea that's what I've been hearing. The FAN590 in Toronto says owner of the arena in Winnipeg has been talking with the NHL about purchasing Phoenix and moving them back. Apparently the NHL lost $20 Million this season taking over the 'yotes!

Move the "Yotes" back to Winnipeg, and the Thrashers to Hamilton as all will be well.

Yea Hamilton or North Toronto, and also Florida can move to Quebec.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#12 luvmnger

luvmnger

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:24 PM

yes...phoenix is just like my area...albuquerque. there is such a diverse mix of ethnic backgrounds here that no pro sport can survive. hell, the college games just barely work, and the minor league baseball is always open seating.

phoenix is the same as here, but hotter and more retirees.

send them back to Winnipeg so they can have the proper fan base and
move the thrashers to Vegas!

yeah! imagine that!

the games will definitely sell out!

of course...the locals will go but the real revenue stream comes from the tourists.

the downfall is the pro athletes gambling,fornicating, and general troubles,while in Vegas. :scared:

then the media hype over the screwball antics will ensue...this will then entail more advertising. :ranting:

yeah!...ESPN here we come. :lol:
Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#13 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:30 PM

absence makes the heart grow fonder huh, winnipeg?

Posted Image

#14 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

ya, well, just look at the Lightning. In 2004, they only sold out during the finals and even after they won the Cup that year, the following season attendance was back to the normal non sellouts. Hockey doesn't belong in Phoenix or Florida. It barely belongs in Texas or Southern California!

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 1.00 PPG

#15 wmubronco420

wmubronco420

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:50 PM

ya, well, just look at the Lightning. In 2004, they only sold out during the finals and even after they won the Cup that year, the following season attendance was back to the normal non sellouts. Hockey doesn't belong in Phoenix or Florida. It barely belongs in Texas or Southern California!

actuallthe season after they won the cup (2006 since 2005 was the lockout) they led the league in attendance. then went right back down the following year. So i think the only hope for PHO would be to win the cup.

Posted Image

#16 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:53 PM

I was in Phoenix right at the beginning of January for other purposes but lucked out when the Wings were playing there on Jan. 2nd and I was there from Jan 1st - 4th or 5th, so I went.

I believe they sold out completely that game. Part possibly due to the Red WIngs being a popular name in general, and you'd hope there'd be a decent factor of Phoenix being good contributing to the high attendance as well (I believe they were either 3rd or 4th in the conference at the time).

The atmosphere was good, I enjoyed it.

The arena is right across the street from where the Arizona Cardinals play, in Glendale, probably at least a 30 minute drive from the downtown area. The area itself is a nice suburb of Phoenix, but toher than the stadium/arena and some immediate restaurants/shops, there really isn't much in the immediate area. One might wander if they'd do a bit better with attendance in downtown Phoenix (where the Suns and Diamondbacks play), which is only probably a 10-15 drive from the airport, if that.

Pretty much everybody likes a winner, it doesn't matter where they are located. If they can consistently become a competitive team and make the playoffs with some consistency, it'll probably rise to a degree. While I'm not familiar with attendance figures, I would guess that Nashville is a good example. They've become a respectable club over the past few seasons in terms of results and have made the playoffs off/on recently, I would think attendance is pretty decent there. Winning definitely isn't the only factor, but it helps obviously.

#17 Zata fan 40

Zata fan 40

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:56 PM

Wait until the playoffs. If they cannot sell out playoff games I say they don't belong.

I agree. The good first half of the year they didn't even know if the team was going to stay or not. Let's see what happens in the playoffs.
c:\documentsandsettings\amy\mydocuments\homefortheholidays

#18 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:16 PM

If the Wings are their match up in the first round its going to throw that whole theory off. DRW transplants are the only ones that attend Pheonix-Detroit games as it is.

I think that its great what the team is doing, but they are playing to empty seat every night so what is the point? Vacate Arizona and vacate Florida, waste of hockey on people who aren't drinking the Koolaid and the competitiveness of the teams are lacking because of it. We are literally burying franchises in the states.

#19 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,211 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:18 PM

Sustained success will lead to attendance. Fans want to watch successful teams play. Only the most established teams can afford to blow and still make money.

I'm not too sure about that. Look at the Devils. They still can't sellout playoff games.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#20 Kabrok

Kabrok

YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, LEBDA

• 16 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:37 PM

yeah...and not to mention their last home game vs the avs they had over 17,000...so...look for it to increase come playoff time

The Coyotes have essentially given away the entire arena's tickets for various games this season in order to put up 'sellouts' - even though even with a packed house the event is still probably rung up as a financial loss. Anyone know if the game in question was such a game?

Makes you wonder, if the overall average attendance is 11000-12000 a game, how bad does it get when lower-bowl tickets DON'T cost 20 bucks?