• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NBCnothingbutcrosby

Cleary Inquiry

Rate this topic

Honestly this isn't a flame to pick on Cleary, but does anyone else think it's time to cut ties?

I'm not exactly sure how old he is, but must be in his 30's. He seems to be injured half of every season, and his body is slowing down. He still has some value of veteran leadership and limited gritty skill which has been in decline in my eyes. What I mean by that is when he first came here - Cleary would go into a corner for the puck and always come out with it, now not so much. I'd be open to the idea of trading cleary and lebda or meech for a young 4mill type of sniper... Which we haven't had a true sniper since Shanny. This is all just open to discussion, I know there will be some hardcore Cleary fans... I just wonder what everyone else is thinking

We just signed the guy to a multi-year contract last year. 5 years if I'm not mistaken. He is a great player and had a great playoff run the last 2 years. Don't jump on a 'get rid of him' thing just because he's had a bad season. Can't expect everyone to perform every year.

Yea, he usually comes around come playoff time like the rest of this team. I wouldn't be so quick to boot him out of town yet. His grit and determination to score goals when given the chance I believe is still at the top of this team.

Guest mindfly
"It was a good hard skate," Cleary said after the morning skate prior to Detroit's game against the Columbus Blue Jackets. "I'll skate a little harder (today) and see how it goes."

Cleary completely tore his groin during the Stanley Cup Finals last season and played through it. He also had a broken bone in his wrist that needed repair.

"This summer is going to be critical to make sure I'm healthy, especially my groin," Cleary said. "You never want to miss games. That's the tough part."

Edited by mindfly

He's exactly the sort of player that you want to have on your team. He works his butt off, and he can score a few goals too. I believe that he has a NTC anyways, so it's irrelevant.

Having said that, I do think that 2.8 million/year is too much for him, especially if he can't get healthy. There's still 3 years left on his contract after this one. You can't be paying that much for a guy that's been getting a lot of 3rd line minutes. Of course, that might change once he gets healthy and starts playing like he was before.

I'd be open to the idea of trading cleary and lebda or meech for a young 4mill type of sniper... Which we haven't had a true sniper since Shanny.

And I'd like to trade Lebda for Ovechkin. There are almost no snipers for 4 million (Mule is a rare exception because of his ridiculously long contract length) and there is definitely no "true sniper" that you're getting for a package of Cleary and a 6th D.

Edited by Zetts

Cut ties? Not in the slightest...

I think this is one of Hollands dumbest deals. "On March 11, 2008, Cleary signed a 5 year contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings, worth $14 million.".

On the other hand there is this:

"In the 2009 Stanley Cup playoffs on May 14, 2009, Cleary scored the tie breaking, semi-final series winning goal for the Detroit Red Wings against the Anaheim Ducks with 3 minutes left in Game 7. With the win the Detroit Red Wings moved on to face the Chicago Blackhawks in the Western Conference Final. Cleary scored 5 goals against his former team in a 4-1 series win clinching the Western Conference title....."

Yet this year he has 13 goals and 16 assists all while being in the top 6 rotation for the whole year. Not enough Danny boy, not enough.

I think this is one of Hollands dumbest deals. "On March 11, 2008, Cleary signed a 5 year contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings, worth $14 million.".

On the other hand there is this:

"In the 2009 Stanley Cup playoffs on May 14, 2009, Cleary scored the tie breaking, semi-final series winning goal for the Detroit Red Wings against the Anaheim Ducks with 3 minutes left in Game 7. With the win the Detroit Red Wings moved on to face the Chicago Blackhawks in the Western Conference Final. Cleary scored 5 goals against his former team in a 4-1 series win clinching the Western Conference title....."

Yet this year he has 13 goals and 16 assists all while being in the top 6 rotation for the whole year. Not enough Danny boy, not enough.

At the time he was in the midst of a second straight 20 goal season, and he's a very versatile player. I don't think it's really a bad deal. He's been fighting injuries all year, and certainly effected by all the other injuries, just like the rest of the team.

That said, I wouldn't hate it if we could move him to bring in a legit top 6 winger. I'd rather move him than Flip, but either way we don't need 2 (or 3 if Hudler comes back) tweeners making near $3 mil a year.

Edited by Buppy

I am hoping it was his injuries holding him back this year. I thought he had one of his best games of the year today. He drove the net a few times and created scoring chances. And i agree that playoffs is when his grinding style really stands out and helps out our team.

Playoffs is when it counts, and that's when he shines. I'd take him over Hossa in the playoffs and he did more then Hossa last year. I don't care about the regular season if you can't rise in the playoffs. I think the Sharks would rather have Cleary in the playoffs over Joe Thornton as well, lol.

Playoffs is when it counts, and that's when he shines. I'd take him over Hossa in the playoffs and he did more then Hossa last year. I don't care about the regular season if you can't rise in the playoffs. I think the Sharks would rather have Cleary in the playoffs over Joe Thornton as well, lol.

I would take Hossa over Cleary in the playoffs, but i am a little bias...

lol, yes Hossa4life your a little biased. Maybe I'm still pissed at Hossa for doing nothing in Game 7, he should have had the game of his life.

I'm a big Clears fan, and I'll admit he's looked off this season. When he got back from his injury (his shoulder seperation, not the recent injury), though, like many other players it was a grind to play with all the remaining injuries to the team. Like everyone else his production was down, adjusting to the less skill/more hard work style. Everyone's stats took a hit from this "cursed" season (This season is not cursed).

While his -6 is no indication that he successfuly kept with the grind in his own end this season, things are looking good as he was a bright spot in today's game in Philly, with 2 points and a +1. I think he'll most likely build off this as the playoffs are beginning and he'll shine once again in hopefully another long postseason.

i dont understand why people are hating on cleary. He's been fighting injury ALL year long and isn't all that far off from his usual production as far as points. He looked good today with a goal in front of the net and had a great drive to the net soon after that rang off the post. He's versatility, finishes all of his checks, and can give you 20 goals a season. It could be a whole lot worse. Cleary is a solid player through and through