• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bdavis

Current 2010 Playoff matchups

Rate this topic

I thought that I would share this link from ESPN. It shows the current 2010 playoff matchups, what teams are in the hunt for making the playoffs, and what teams are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. I like checking it every day to see how the matchups stand:

ESPN Current 2010 Playoff Matchups

I feel good about where the Wings are right now (Vs. Vancouver).

As long as the Wings keep playing like this, you know all 60 minutes, they will be a tough match up for anyone. Sure Vancouver would be tough, same with San Jose and Chicago, but look at the Wings record this year against those teams, they are doing really well against them.

In fact the teams the Wings have had trouble with will actually all be watching or golfing.

Guest mjtm77

If Vancouver loses their next game, and we win ours we will be ahead of them and 4th in the west.

um no. Think first

What he means is division winners are always the top 3 in rankings, so we can not pass Van, otherwise Pho would have already. The highest the Wings can get Mathematically is 5th I beleive.

With games in hand they may catch Pho if they lost every game the rest of the year maybe, but I would have to check again.

What he means is division winners are always the top 3 in rankings, so we can not pass Van, otherwise Pho would have already. The highest the Wings can get Mathematically is 5th I beleive.

With games in hand they may catch Pho if they lost every game the rest of the year maybe, but I would have to check again.

The Wings can get the 2nd or 3rd seed if Chicago only gets 3 points in their last 6 games (the last of which is against us) and we win out (which, given the schedule and way the team has been playing, isn't that hard to imagine) and Vancouver stumbles a little bit more.

It's a long shot, but the Wings still have about a 15% chance of clinching the division with a regulation win on the last day of the season. Which I would LOVE since it would completely destroy the Hawks' morale.

Although VERY UNLIKELY, they can still catch the Blackhawks and gain the #2 seed. They are 6 points out and with the way the Wings are playing, there is that chance.

Actually, technically we could catch Chicago.... More realistic however, is catching 4th. The Coyotes have cooled off as of late and have 100 points in 78 games. We have 95 in 77 games.

Phoenix has Edmonton, Nashville, @Los Angeles, @San Jose.

Detroit has Nashville, @Philadelphia, Columbus, @Columbus, @Chicago

We still have a chance at 4th, it'll be tough but feasible.

The Wings can get the 2nd or 3rd seed if Chicago only gets 3 points in their last 6 games (the last of which is against us) and we win out (which, given the schedule and way the team has been playing, isn't that hard to imagine) and Vancouver stumbles a little bit more.

It's a long shot, but the Wings still have about a 15% chance of clinching the division with a regulation win on the last day of the season. Which I would LOVE since it would completely destroy the Hawks' morale.

15% seems waaay off unless you are buying heavily into the Wings win streak and the Hawks struggling. Mathematically the Wings only have a 7% chance to take the Division even if they win out.

15% seems waaay off unless you are buying heavily into the Wings win streak and the Hawks struggling. Mathematically the Wings only have a 7% chance to take the Division even if they win out.

I was considering the streak, as well as the situation with the Hawks goaltending and defense. Mathematically, yes, only 7%, but I'd double that considering how good this team is gelling right now, as well as Huet/Niemi/Campbell/etc.

If you want to get technical factoring in both teams play as of late is probably the most accurate thing to do.

If we win out our next 5 games and tie with Chicago at 105 points, what determines the tie breaker since the season series would be tied with them?

If we win out our next 5 games and tie with Chicago at 105 points, what determines the tie breaker since the season series would be tied with them?

Greater number of wins is the 1st tiebreaker, even ahead of season series.

Edit: Season series really isn't even a procedure. It's total points. Here:

1) The greater number of games won.

2) The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.

3) The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season.

Edited by wingsdiehard13