• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:41 AM

I know I can't expect these guys to play like Lidstrom, but seriously even in my beer league we've figured out that it's dumb to put the puck in front of your own goal.

These two just keep doing it consistently. When Lilja first came back he looked pretty good but now he's back to his old ways.

Even Helm had a nasty giveaway last night but I will forgive him because he rarely does that.
"It's been six years since we won the Cup. That's too long." -Nick Lidstrom

"my message is simple: The next time anyone runs any of our guys in a way that shouldn't be done, then a message will be sent. I'm not going to go out and run your skill guys, your superstars. I'm going to go right to the guy (who did it), and fair justice is fair justice." -Downey

#2 ilmickeyli

ilmickeyli

Meatwad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:44 AM

Yeah I don't know why they try to make a quick pass up front like that, its hockey 101
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#3 hockey&beer

hockey&beer

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:51 AM

The Wings have been clearing the puck to the front of the net for years. The only problem is that the D doesn't always look before they throw it out there. As far as horrible turnovers go by Wings D, I'd put a vote in for Rafalski. He seems to give it away at the blue line at least once a game, if not a period.
"Matt Moulson... he would get more air time if he was Matt Labatt." Ken Daniels

#4 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:09 AM

Everyone has lapses... take the good with the bad, they are both damn good d-men and I will take their mental lapses here and there for all they BOTH bring that FAR outweighs it...

not everyone will be Lidstrom.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#5 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:23 AM

Everyone has lapses... take the good with the bad, they are both damn good d-men and I will take their mental lapses here and there for all they BOTH bring that FAR outweighs it...

This. And haven't you noticed that since Lilja's return the defense has gotten better overall? His presence on the PK was a huge boost and has continued to help a ton. It's also positively affected the growth of Ericsson, so I'm all for the Pain Train, even with his few brain farts.

#6 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:33 AM

This. And haven't you noticed that since Lilja's return the defense has gotten better overall? His presence on the PK was a huge boost and has continued to help a ton. It's also positively affected the growth of Ericsson, so I'm all for the Pain Train, even with his few brain farts.

+2
Lets not start dogging Lilja at all. He has been great after not playing for a YEAR and has given the D a big boost. He has played much better than most expected and has been solid since his return.It allows us to sit Lebda the pylon, which for me is the right thing to do. He has always (throughout his career) been guilty of turnovers, but thats the flaw of his game, and every player has one. In return you get a big guy who always finishes a check and blocks shots all the time. As for stewie...well, he was, until the Olympic break, the best D on the roster in terms of consistancy. Above and beyond that, he rocks anyone that comes streaking in with there head down so I am totally cool with both these guys.
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#7 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:19 AM

Lilja & Stuart are no Lebda & Ericsson

Posted Image

#8 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:38 AM

I know I can't expect these guys to play like Lidstrom, but seriously even in my beer league we've figured out that it's dumb to put the puck in front of your own goal.

These two just keep doing it consistently. When Lilja first came back he looked pretty good but now he's back to his old ways.

Even Helm had a nasty giveaway last night but I will forgive him because he rarely does that.

You started a thread moaning about Lilja giving away the puck? The man didn't play for a year. Cut him a little slack, many think he is doing well.

Shocked you did not make a thread about Bert making blind half ass passes for a give n go, yet the opposing team takes the puck, and it leads to a scoring chance.

People who play D in some beer leagues would disagree with you *points at the OP*

Edited by Rivalred, 02 April 2010 - 11:51 AM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#9 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,605 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:54 AM

Lilja is singlehandedly responsible for the team's turnaround, yet he gets called out.

If you're going to blame anyone for screwing up defensively, blame the $6 million dollar man Rafalski, who has not gotten any smarter in his own zone with age and maturity, like players are supposed to get.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#10 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:59 AM

at least they dont pull big rig passes (suicide passes or passes right into the skates).

#11 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:01 PM

Bert is the frigging worst for this. I swear he must get free curly fries for every retarded pass he throws out to a ghost into the slot.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#12 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

Bert is the frigging worst for this. I swear he must get free curly fries for every retarded pass he throws out to a ghost into the slot.

and its always some no-look between the legs pass. when you are already known for being a defensive floater just keep it simple!

#13 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:42 PM

and its always some no-look between the legs pass. when you are already known for being a defensive floater just keep it simple!

lol exactly.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#14 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:29 PM

lol exactly.

Andrew Ladd
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#15 hardcoretom21

hardcoretom21

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:58 PM

Speaking of Lilja.. I haven't seen him throw the body as much as he has in the past.. Maybe he's still overly cautious around physical play?
I might also add that I've never watched more Wings hockey than this year (Thank you Drumnj, I man-love you), and this scares me even more now with finals coming up...
Only breathing is more important than winning

"For most of a decade, the Wings were the most popular team not just because they won, but also because they won with flair, with speedy Russians and legendary leaders and the occasional willing fighter"

#16 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:46 PM

He may not pass good but he has a mean volleyball spike!

#17 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

Lilja is singlehandedly responsible for the team's turnaround, yet he gets called out.

If you're going to blame anyone for screwing up defensively, blame the $6 million dollar man Rafalski, who has not gotten any smarter in his own zone with age and maturity, like players are supposed to get.

Thank you! 3.5 of that 6 mil would be better off spent somewhere else. Maybe towards Lilja`s new contract.

Edited by zettie85, 02 April 2010 - 05:53 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#18 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:58 PM

That's because Bertuzzi is af****** moron of a hockey player.

No hockey sense at all.

Posted Image

#19 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

Thank you! 3.5 of that 6 mil would be better off spent somewhere else. Maybe towards Lilja`s new contract.

Rafalski has 39 points and is +22

Chara has 40 points and is a +15.
Brian Campbell has 38 points and is a +18
Scott Niedermayer has 46 points but is a -11
Dan Boyle has 56 points and is a +4
Phaneauf has 29 points and is 0
Ed Jovanovski has 34 points and is a -12
Wade Redden has 14 points and is a plus 6
Kimmo Timonen has 36 points and is a -3
Chris Pronger has 54 points and is a +23
ALL OF THESE PLAYERS make more than Rafalski and the only one having a better season is Pronger. STOP THE HATE!

#20 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

Rafalski is having a better season than Boyle? :unsure:

Posted Image