• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Inultus

Lilja & Stuart

Rate this topic

I know I can't expect these guys to play like Lidstrom, but seriously even in my beer league we've figured out that it's dumb to put the puck in front of your own goal.

These two just keep doing it consistently. When Lilja first came back he looked pretty good but now he's back to his old ways.

Even Helm had a nasty giveaway last night but I will forgive him because he rarely does that.

The Wings have been clearing the puck to the front of the net for years. The only problem is that the D doesn't always look before they throw it out there. As far as horrible turnovers go by Wings D, I'd put a vote in for Rafalski. He seems to give it away at the blue line at least once a game, if not a period.

Everyone has lapses... take the good with the bad, they are both damn good d-men and I will take their mental lapses here and there for all they BOTH bring that FAR outweighs it...

not everyone will be Lidstrom.

This. And haven't you noticed that since Lilja's return the defense has gotten better overall? His presence on the PK was a huge boost and has continued to help a ton. It's also positively affected the growth of Ericsson, so I'm all for the Pain Train, even with his few brain farts.

This. And haven't you noticed that since Lilja's return the defense has gotten better overall? His presence on the PK was a huge boost and has continued to help a ton. It's also positively affected the growth of Ericsson, so I'm all for the Pain Train, even with his few brain farts.

+2

Lets not start dogging Lilja at all. He has been great after not playing for a YEAR and has given the D a big boost. He has played much better than most expected and has been solid since his return.It allows us to sit Lebda the pylon, which for me is the right thing to do. He has always (throughout his career) been guilty of turnovers, but thats the flaw of his game, and every player has one. In return you get a big guy who always finishes a check and blocks shots all the time. As for stewie...well, he was, until the Olympic break, the best D on the roster in terms of consistancy. Above and beyond that, he rocks anyone that comes streaking in with there head down so I am totally cool with both these guys.

I know I can't expect these guys to play like Lidstrom, but seriously even in my beer league we've figured out that it's dumb to put the puck in front of your own goal.

These two just keep doing it consistently. When Lilja first came back he looked pretty good but now he's back to his old ways.

Even Helm had a nasty giveaway last night but I will forgive him because he rarely does that.

You started a thread moaning about Lilja giving away the puck? The man didn't play for a year. Cut him a little slack, many think he is doing well.

Shocked you did not make a thread about Bert making blind half ass passes for a give n go, yet the opposing team takes the puck, and it leads to a scoring chance.

not everyone will be Lidstrom.

People who play D in some beer leagues would disagree with you *points at the OP*

Edited by Rivalred

Lilja is singlehandedly responsible for the team's turnaround, yet he gets called out.

If you're going to blame anyone for screwing up defensively, blame the $6 million dollar man Rafalski, who has not gotten any smarter in his own zone with age and maturity, like players are supposed to get.

Bert is the frigging worst for this. I swear he must get free curly fries for every retarded pass he throws out to a ghost into the slot.

and its always some no-look between the legs pass. when you are already known for being a defensive floater just keep it simple!

Speaking of Lilja.. I haven't seen him throw the body as much as he has in the past.. Maybe he's still overly cautious around physical play?

I might also add that I've never watched more Wings hockey than this year (Thank you Drumnj, I man-love you), and this scares me even more now with finals coming up...

Lilja is singlehandedly responsible for the team's turnaround, yet he gets called out.

If you're going to blame anyone for screwing up defensively, blame the $6 million dollar man Rafalski, who has not gotten any smarter in his own zone with age and maturity, like players are supposed to get.

Thank you! 3.5 of that 6 mil would be better off spent somewhere else. Maybe towards Lilja`s new contract.

Edited by zettie85

Thank you! 3.5 of that 6 mil would be better off spent somewhere else. Maybe towards Lilja`s new contract.

Rafalski has 39 points and is +22

Chara has 40 points and is a +15.

Brian Campbell has 38 points and is a +18

Scott Niedermayer has 46 points but is a -11

Dan Boyle has 56 points and is a +4

Phaneauf has 29 points and is 0

Ed Jovanovski has 34 points and is a -12

Wade Redden has 14 points and is a plus 6

Kimmo Timonen has 36 points and is a -3

Chris Pronger has 54 points and is a +23

ALL OF THESE PLAYERS make more than Rafalski and the only one having a better season is Pronger. STOP THE HATE!

ALL OF THESE PLAYERS make more than Rafalski and the only one having a better season is Pronger. STOP THE HATE!

The majority of Rafalski's minutes are with Lidstrom. I'm not saying that's the only reason, but it helps him look much better. Rafalski is a solid D man no matter what anyone says on LGW, he makes more errors than Lids and really isn't as good in any way, but he is still good. Maybe not 6 mil good, but on average I'd say he is our 2nd best D man (Kronwall is better on his good days, worse on his not as good days).

Nobody is saying Rafalski is no good and can't score.

I'm just saying that no one wants their 35+ year old D-man turning pucks over and being caught out of position like a rookie. The one thing that isn't supposed to get worse with age is hockey smarts. Rafalski still makes too many bad mistakes defensively, when he should have aged out of that with experience.

I don't think it's fair to blame Stuart and Lilja for making a few casual mistakes, but not bringing Rafalski's name up.

You forgot one thing:

Lidstrom_With_Conn_Smythe_JPG_small.jpg

Faralski has played with the best player this decade since he got here. He has great offensive skills but his defensive deficiencies are covered by his defensive partner. If he was with Kronwall or Stuart he would look even worse.

Agreed.

Now I just wish the two of them would start to use their size and play with an edge.

With E at 6'4" and 206 lbs, Lillypads at 6'3" 228, they should be knocking guys around out there. Honestly if Ericsson took a penalty for crosschecking someone hard in front of the net, I'd probably cheer.

Edited by haroldsnepsts