• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gnredwing

Osgood to start Sunday

Rate this topic

we would have won that if howard was in net.

Subjective.

You cannot state this as fact since he did not play in the game, so we do not know if this could or would have happened.

Now, did Osgood play good? Not particularly. Neither did the entire team when it came to defense. Osgood rebounded fairly well as the game went on though, as did the defense too.

BOTH Osgood AND the defense didn't play all that well the entire game.

If Osgood revoltists want to construe this as me being an Osgood apologist, knock yourselves out if it makes you feel better despite it not being true. I cannot be anymore clearer in saying twice that Osgood didn't play all that great.

Subjective.

You cannot state this as fact since he did not play in the game, so we do not know if this could or would have happened.

Now, did Osgood play good? Not particularly. Neither did the entire team when it came to defense. Osgood rebounded fairly well as the game went on though, as did the defense too.

BOTH Osgood AND the defense didn't play all that well the entire game.

If Osgood revoltists want to construe this as me being an Osgood apologist, knock yourselves out if it makes you feel better despite it not being true. I cannot be anymore clearer in saying twice that Osgood didn't play all that great.

I thought Ozzie played pretty well, especially considering the last time he got consistant starts. I'll look at him for the first goal, even though it was still a result of sloppy play in front of him, but the 2nd, 3rd and 4th goals against, I put on the players in front of him.

I thought Ozzie played pretty well, especially considering the last time he got consistant starts. I'll look at him for the first goal, even though it was still a result of sloppy play in front of him, but the 2nd, 3rd and 4th goals against, I put on the players in front of him.

No doubt, which is why I tried to stress that he slowly got better as the game continued. And hoping that it shows sense to some of the Osgood lunatics that seems to blame everything on just him. Defense was bad as well. He had little/no chance on any of them after his first brainfart.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

It ultimately just comes down to winning.

There have been a variety of Osgood excuses this year, and honestly, they've almost all been pretty valid. The team played badly in front of him, we had a lot of injuries, Osgood was playing harder teams, Osgood hasn't been getting enough starts, Osgood hasn't been getting any starts. All true. But eventually, whether it's true or not, all that really matters is whether or not you win. I don't hold anything against Osgood. But the "W" is all that matters, not whether we would have won if _______.

Lidstrom even said himself, that they play a different game in front of Osgood. If it doesn't work, or doesn't mesh this year with this team, that's just how it goes.

What those excuses are good for is as reasons to not relentlessly bash Osgood. We obviously have to go with Howard, but we don't have to throw Osgood under the bus.

I dont get the just in case we need ozzie in the playoffs stuff. This isnt 2 years ago when we had 2 goalies splitting time and rotated them. We have a STARTING goalie and a BACKUP goalie this season. Their roles are clearly defined and Howard is going to get every opportunity to succeed or fail in the playoffs. Starting goalies rarely get changed mid playoffs, when and if it does happen, its usually situations like we have had previous two seasons with goalies splitting time. This is Howards team, he is the STARTER.

I dont get the just in case we need ozzie in the playoffs stuff. This isnt 2 years ago when we had 2 goalies splitting time and rotated them. We have a STARTING goalie and a BACKUP goalie this season. Their roles are clearly defined and Howard is going to get every opportunity to succeed or fail in the playoffs. Starting goalies rarely get changed mid playoffs, when and if it does happen, its usually situations like we have had previous two seasons with goalies splitting time. This is Howards team, he is the STARTER.

This has nothing to do with having a determined starter and backup, this is to make sure BOTH goalies are warm in case of something happening like Howard getting hurt or him pulling a Legace.

It ultimately just comes down to winning.

There have been a variety of Osgood excuses this year, and honestly, they've almost all been pretty valid. The team played badly in front of him, we had a lot of injuries, Osgood was playing harder teams, Osgood hasn't been getting enough starts, Osgood hasn't been getting any starts. All true. But eventually, whether it's true or not, all that really matters is whether or not you win. I don't hold anything against Osgood. But the "W" is all that matters, not whether we would have won if _______.

Lidstrom even said himself, that they play a different game in front of Osgood. If it doesn't work, or doesn't mesh this year with this team, that's just how it goes.

What those excuses are good for is as reasons to not relentlessly bash Osgood. We obviously have to go with Howard, but we don't have to throw Osgood under the bus.

Definitely, in the grand scheme it comes down to winning. And presently, Howard gives them that best chance. But you have to consider those factors you briefly stated to basically not just say ZOMG BLAME OSGOOD OR ZOIKES OSGOOD STINKS! They are natural factors that effect a game any goalie.

This has nothing to do with having a determined starter and backup, this is to make sure BOTH goalies are warm in case of something happening like Howard getting hurt or him pulling a Legace.

Bingo. Howard is all but starting in the playoffs. It's pretty much a given now. Now that a playoff spot is secured though and the Wings aren't going to change much in terms of the standings, Osgood needs some game time to get back into some groove and be prepared, as the backup, just in case something bad goes on with Howard.

I actually think they sat him to protect him. Philly is dirty and Carcillo and the other goons on that team specifically target guys. Lils would be a target due to being out for a year. Thats just my opinion but there is no reason they would play Lebda over Lillypad when they are playing Ozzie, who would need the extra support. Lebda was awful and I hope thats the last time I have to see him in a wings uni.

This was my reasoning too when I realized Lilja wasn't playing.

I think Ozzie did a good job with the game. There's only so much you can do when you aren't given the opportunity to play in a game. I'm sure he'd be better if given more chances. I do understand why Babcock has kept him on the bench, although I don't agree. We needed all the wins we could and Howard was doing that. Problem is now that nobody has any confidence in Osgood and if something does happen with Howard we are going to need Ozzie to step in.

This was my reasoning too when I realized Lilja wasn't playing.

I think Ozzie did a good job with the game. There's only so much you can do when you aren't given the opportunity to play in a game. I'm sure he'd be better if given more chances. I do understand why Babcock has kept him on the bench, although I don't agree. We needed all the wins we could and Howard was doing that. Problem is now that nobody has any confidence in Osgood and if something does happen with Howard we are going to need Ozzie to step in.

That is part of the problem though. If we played Ozzie more we may have only had 3 more games left to worry about Howard getting hurt. I think it's kinda like a double edge sword. If we played Ozzie more it may have been in vain. Since we didn't it is all on Howard and Ozzie won't be in a groove if needed. Who is to even know he would have found his groove at all. Tricky situation but I think Babcock handled it fine.

4/4 C. Osgood 25 21

4/3 J. Howard 24 20

You're really gonna crap all over Ozzie when he turned in almost the same performance Howard did the night before? Did you not watch the game yesterday? It was like watching an AHL team. So many turnovers and sloppy play. But that's all Ozzie's fault, right?

4/4 C. Osgood 25 21

4/3 J. Howard 24 20

You're really gonna crap all over Ozzie when he turned in almost the same performance Howard did the night before? Did you not watch the game yesterday? It was like watching an AHL team. So many turnovers and sloppy play. But that's all Ozzie's fault, right?

Nobody is saying the team didn't look like s***. Ozzie and the team improved in the 3rd but it was too little too late. Howard has put this team in the playoffs. The rare bad game for Howard this year is excusable. This team has looked terrible in front of Howard at times to but Howard made the saves when he needed to.

Guest Crymson

4/4 C. Osgood 25 21

4/3 J. Howard 24 20

The stats alone won't tell the story. Osgood let in some really crappy goals. Howard didn't.

And Osgood has started how many times in 2010 exactly? Isn't this his first game since the Olympics? Sounds like a "rare" bad game to me.

Seriously your love for the guy is ridiculous. Howard is winning and that is all that matters. I like Ozzie but he is not the starting goalie anymore. Move on. He didn't get a bunch of starts you are right but if Babcock plays him and he doesn't find his game then we are not in the playoffs this year. He put his chips on Howard and so far it is working.

Yes he did. The overtime goal was very stoppable.

That is true but it hasn't been the story of the year for Howard.

That isn't what we are talking about. We are talking about two individual performances for two individual games.

What is the point of comparing those games? Howard had 2 deflections that he had no chance on. Osgood had 2 that he had basically no chance on. Howard>Osgood this year still.The OT one was definitely weak but he has been there for this team all year.

Edited by zettie85

What is the point of comparing those games? Howard had 2 deflections that he had no chance on. Osgood had 2 that he had basically no chance on. Howard>Osgood this year still.The OT one was definitely weak but he has been there for this team all year.

Okay, but we are still talking about individual performances, and you are defending Howard's performance based on the fact he has been great the rest of the year.

Both weak goals were huge on the outcome of the game, but only one is berated for it, which is ridiculous. Not only berated, but multiple threads questioning him based on that performance.

Okay, but we are still talking about individual performances, and you are defending Howard's performance based on the fact he has been great the rest of the year.

Both weak goals were huge on the outcome of the game, but only one is berated for it, which is ridiculous. Not only berated, but multiple threads questioning him based on that performance.

That is my point though. Nobody should be looking at it as just 2 games. Regardless if they are back to back or if they happen at opposite ends of the season. You can't tell the story by 1 individual game.

Howard let in a bad goal in overtime but throughout the season it was not one of his characteristics. Ozzie has always let in bad goals even when he has played well.

Him comparing the 2 games, what does that prove? That Ozzie should start now. People are more forgiving this year because Howard got us to the playoffs and has played well. Ozzie has let in a bad goal in close to every game he started this year. I realize you guys are looking at 2 individual games but why?

Edited by zettie85

It seems people are forgetting the context of the situation when Babcock made the decision to go with Howard. Osgood was going through a second consecutive regular season funk. All the same patterns were there from last season. Babs gave him chance after chance after chance after chance to work it out. In the meantime, Ozzie's letting in soft goals left and right and killing any confidence or momentum the team could generate. Obviously the team lost some offense in the offseason. Injuries were starting to pile up. So Babcock didn't have time to let Osgood work it out because the team in front of him COULDN'T score 4 or 5 goals every night so they could win like in olden times. The Wings needed wins fast as they were falling behind in the standings.

And this whole time Jimmy has been starting, has there been a game we could say, "Sure, we can lose this one"? That is the pre-requisite for starting Osgood. You're basically saying, based on recent experience, there's a good chance we could lose this game or this string of games until whatever voo-doo occurs that transforms him from one of the worst goalies in the league to one of the best. Nobody knows what that process is or how many losses that represents, least of all Osgood. But he sure does pretend to know the process when he runs his mouth to the press. Speaking of which...

Remember when Ozzie got in front of the cameras and basically whined about not being started and getting rusty? If you don't think that something snapped inside Babcock, who has a zero tolerance policy for divas and drama queens, you don't know Babcock. He's old school. And his memory is infinite.

I literally think that Babs looked at the standings this weekend, knew it was inevitable the Wings would clinch one way or the other, knew he'd probably lose the tail end of the back to back based on the trend of the team's play in the last couple games (you can't win them all) and wanted to give Howard a rest and preserve his stats for the Calder competition. If ever there were a game to play Ozzie, it was Sunday's game. That game was made to lose.

I don't really think the Red Wings management is all that concerned about seeding and matchups. I think the point was to get in. And now that's out of the way, Osgood can start until it really counts.

Guest mindfly

Zettie please remove your signature pic, making my eyes bleed :hehe:

(Beats me how anyone outside the city of manchester actually supports them)

Edited by mindfly

Zettie please remove your signature pic, making my eyes bleed :hehe:

(Beats me how anyone outside the city of manchester actually supports them)

It's the complete opposite of United then. :lol:

I picked them as my team in 2001 after watching "There's Only One Jimmy Grimble". I'll never change it now just for you to look at. :P

Feed the Goat and he will score. It's interchangeable with the Mule.

Edited by zettie85

So now the Howard/Osgood debate has devolved into arguing about what you were arguing about... sweet.

Osgood has been awful all year. Maybe a tiny glimpse of greatness here and there... but nothing to hang your hat on by any means. The only hope at this point for Osgood is that Jimmy completely melts down (doubtful) or that he can get himself together enough to be a competent back-up next season.

Osgood has been awful all year. Maybe a tiny glimpse of greatness here and there... but nothing to hang your hat on by any means. The only hope at this point for Osgood is that Jimmy completely melts down (doubtful) or that he can get himself together enough to be a competent back-up next season.

How can people say Osgood has been so bad this year? He's only played in 23 games ALL season and non of them with any consistency. How can he perform to anyone's standards when he wasn't really given the chance to get into a rhythm with some consistent play. I understand why he wasn't played but everyone is making it sound like he's played half of the games an and sucked in them all. We've seen him perform when he was needed, and I'm sure if he's needed again he'll do is best and hopefully it will be enough.