• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#121 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:50 PM

yea, I don't understand how Lilja got sat today. I though him and big E were playing solid together. Did i miss something that he did wrong.

Edited by Hossa4Life, 04 April 2010 - 08:50 PM.

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image

#122 Paul MacLean's Mustache

Paul MacLean's Mustache

Rookie

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:11 PM

How so? I watched the whole thing and didn't notice E looking terrible. He wasn't good on the goal-against he was on for but he looked good on the two goals-for he was on for.

He had one turnover but that was negated by the fact that he also had a takeaway. He was a +1 and had 2 hits. He also had a blocked shot. He played on the PK and wasn't on for a PP goal against.

Was he positionally perfect? No, he looked like a rookie at times. But Lebda was TERRIBLE. Stuart looked bad on the goal he was out with Lebda for. How can Ericsson look good when his partner was a s*** show?

Honestly, I just didn't have a problem with E today. He definitely bounced back after misplaying the pass on that goal. What else did you expect in a game where the forwards played horrible defense and the Wings were constantly back on their heels?

EDIT:

Also, why would you say you'd rather see a Lilja-Lebda line over Lilja-Ericsson when Lebda was the worst d-man on the ice today? The Lilja-E pairing has been great so far.

Was he ever! Bert saw both his line-mates almost behind the Philly net and he still doesn't drop back until it's too late. Even then he did about the most half-assed back check in the history of hockey.

Maybe we were watching a different game today, but I saw much smaller Flyers players having their way with a guy who's 6'4 and 220lbs. Ericsson didn't look comfortable to me the whole game and looked very flustered in his own end. Lebda wasn't on the ice for any of the goals either and I saw him as much more of a physical force today -- something needed when playing Philadelphia.

I also thought Rafalski coughed up the puck entirely too much today as well -- Just an observation.

#123 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:34 PM

A number of us (me included) wanted Babcock to give Ozzie a start to get him ready and warmed up if he is needed in the playoffs. So Babcock gives him a start and it is what it is ... classic Ozzie, letting first shot in as a goal. Can't really expect him to be sharp not having played for so long. I still think we might need to give him another game to get him game shape ready, just in case. But if we keep losing, we'll stay in 6th or end up in 7th. What to do? Try to win every game left or give Ozzie one or two more?

#124 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:45 PM

yea, I don't understand how Lilja got sat today. I though him and big E were playing solid together. Did i miss something that he did wrong.

I actually think they sat him to protect him. Philly is dirty and Carcillo and the other goons on that team specifically target guys. Lils would be a target due to being out for a year. Thats just my opinion but there is no reason they would play Lebda over Lillypad when they are playing Ozzie, who would need the extra support. Lebda was awful and I hope thats the last time I have to see him in a wings uni.
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#125 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:50 PM

If its just for rest then i have no problem with it. I just thought he was playing well.

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image

#126 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:53 PM

A number of us (me included) wanted Babcock to give Ozzie a start to get him ready and warmed up if he is needed in the playoffs. So Babcock gives him a start and it is what it is ... classic Ozzie, letting first shot in as a goal. Can't really expect him to be sharp not having played for so long. I still think we might need to give him another game to get him game shape ready, just in case. But if we keep losing, we'll stay in 6th or end up in 7th. What to do? Try to win every game left or give Ozzie one or two more?

Give Ozzie the second Columbus game.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#127 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:11 PM

we would have won that if howard was in net.

Subjective.

You cannot state this as fact since he did not play in the game, so we do not know if this could or would have happened.

Now, did Osgood play good? Not particularly. Neither did the entire team when it came to defense. Osgood rebounded fairly well as the game went on though, as did the defense too.

BOTH Osgood AND the defense didn't play all that well the entire game.

If Osgood revoltists want to construe this as me being an Osgood apologist, knock yourselves out if it makes you feel better despite it not being true. I cannot be anymore clearer in saying twice that Osgood didn't play all that great.

#128 Pavrik Zettersyuk

Pavrik Zettersyuk

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:22 PM

Subjective.

You cannot state this as fact since he did not play in the game, so we do not know if this could or would have happened.

Now, did Osgood play good? Not particularly. Neither did the entire team when it came to defense. Osgood rebounded fairly well as the game went on though, as did the defense too.

BOTH Osgood AND the defense didn't play all that well the entire game.

If Osgood revoltists want to construe this as me being an Osgood apologist, knock yourselves out if it makes you feel better despite it not being true. I cannot be anymore clearer in saying twice that Osgood didn't play all that great.

I thought Ozzie played pretty well, especially considering the last time he got consistant starts. I'll look at him for the first goal, even though it was still a result of sloppy play in front of him, but the 2nd, 3rd and 4th goals against, I put on the players in front of him.

#129 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:46 PM

I thought Ozzie played pretty well, especially considering the last time he got consistant starts. I'll look at him for the first goal, even though it was still a result of sloppy play in front of him, but the 2nd, 3rd and 4th goals against, I put on the players in front of him.

No doubt, which is why I tried to stress that he slowly got better as the game continued. And hoping that it shows sense to some of the Osgood lunatics that seems to blame everything on just him. Defense was bad as well. He had little/no chance on any of them after his first brainfart.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 04 April 2010 - 10:46 PM.

#130 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:08 PM

It ultimately just comes down to winning.

There have been a variety of Osgood excuses this year, and honestly, they've almost all been pretty valid. The team played badly in front of him, we had a lot of injuries, Osgood was playing harder teams, Osgood hasn't been getting enough starts, Osgood hasn't been getting any starts. All true. But eventually, whether it's true or not, all that really matters is whether or not you win. I don't hold anything against Osgood. But the "W" is all that matters, not whether we would have won if _______.

Lidstrom even said himself, that they play a different game in front of Osgood. If it doesn't work, or doesn't mesh this year with this team, that's just how it goes.

What those excuses are good for is as reasons to not relentlessly bash Osgood. We obviously have to go with Howard, but we don't have to throw Osgood under the bus.

#131 jjd06e

jjd06e

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:41 AM

I dont get the just in case we need ozzie in the playoffs stuff. This isnt 2 years ago when we had 2 goalies splitting time and rotated them. We have a STARTING goalie and a BACKUP goalie this season. Their roles are clearly defined and Howard is going to get every opportunity to succeed or fail in the playoffs. Starting goalies rarely get changed mid playoffs, when and if it does happen, its usually situations like we have had previous two seasons with goalies splitting time. This is Howards team, he is the STARTER.

#132 Zeowingsfan

Zeowingsfan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:32 AM

I dont get the just in case we need ozzie in the playoffs stuff. This isnt 2 years ago when we had 2 goalies splitting time and rotated them. We have a STARTING goalie and a BACKUP goalie this season. Their roles are clearly defined and Howard is going to get every opportunity to succeed or fail in the playoffs. Starting goalies rarely get changed mid playoffs, when and if it does happen, its usually situations like we have had previous two seasons with goalies splitting time. This is Howards team, he is the STARTER.

This has nothing to do with having a determined starter and backup, this is to make sure BOTH goalies are warm in case of something happening like Howard getting hurt or him pulling a Legace.
The logo on the front is always more important than the name on the back

#133 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:20 AM

It ultimately just comes down to winning.

There have been a variety of Osgood excuses this year, and honestly, they've almost all been pretty valid. The team played badly in front of him, we had a lot of injuries, Osgood was playing harder teams, Osgood hasn't been getting enough starts, Osgood hasn't been getting any starts. All true. But eventually, whether it's true or not, all that really matters is whether or not you win. I don't hold anything against Osgood. But the "W" is all that matters, not whether we would have won if _______.

Lidstrom even said himself, that they play a different game in front of Osgood. If it doesn't work, or doesn't mesh this year with this team, that's just how it goes.

What those excuses are good for is as reasons to not relentlessly bash Osgood. We obviously have to go with Howard, but we don't have to throw Osgood under the bus.

Definitely, in the grand scheme it comes down to winning. And presently, Howard gives them that best chance. But you have to consider those factors you briefly stated to basically not just say ZOMG BLAME OSGOOD OR ZOIKES OSGOOD STINKS! They are natural factors that effect a game any goalie.

This has nothing to do with having a determined starter and backup, this is to make sure BOTH goalies are warm in case of something happening like Howard getting hurt or him pulling a Legace.

Bingo. Howard is all but starting in the playoffs. It's pretty much a given now. Now that a playoff spot is secured though and the Wings aren't going to change much in terms of the standings, Osgood needs some game time to get back into some groove and be prepared, as the backup, just in case something bad goes on with Howard.

#134 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:17 AM

Why are the Wings lazy, and why do they consistently suck when they are playing in front of Ozzie? I was very disappointed in their play yesterday.
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#135 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:58 AM

I actually think they sat him to protect him. Philly is dirty and Carcillo and the other goons on that team specifically target guys. Lils would be a target due to being out for a year. Thats just my opinion but there is no reason they would play Lebda over Lillypad when they are playing Ozzie, who would need the extra support. Lebda was awful and I hope thats the last time I have to see him in a wings uni.

This was my reasoning too when I realized Lilja wasn't playing.

I think Ozzie did a good job with the game. There's only so much you can do when you aren't given the opportunity to play in a game. I'm sure he'd be better if given more chances. I do understand why Babcock has kept him on the bench, although I don't agree. We needed all the wins we could and Howard was doing that. Problem is now that nobody has any confidence in Osgood and if something does happen with Howard we are going to need Ozzie to step in.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#136 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:48 AM

This was my reasoning too when I realized Lilja wasn't playing.

I think Ozzie did a good job with the game. There's only so much you can do when you aren't given the opportunity to play in a game. I'm sure he'd be better if given more chances. I do understand why Babcock has kept him on the bench, although I don't agree. We needed all the wins we could and Howard was doing that. Problem is now that nobody has any confidence in Osgood and if something does happen with Howard we are going to need Ozzie to step in.

That is part of the problem though. If we played Ozzie more we may have only had 3 more games left to worry about Howard getting hurt. I think it's kinda like a double edge sword. If we played Ozzie more it may have been in vain. Since we didn't it is all on Howard and Ozzie won't be in a groove if needed. Who is to even know he would have found his groove at all. Tricky situation but I think Babcock handled it fine.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#137 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:14 PM

4/4 C. Osgood 25 21

4/3 J. Howard 24 20

You're really gonna crap all over Ozzie when he turned in almost the same performance Howard did the night before? Did you not watch the game yesterday? It was like watching an AHL team. So many turnovers and sloppy play. But that's all Ozzie's fault, right?
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#138 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:19 PM

4/4 C. Osgood 25 21

4/3 J. Howard 24 20

You're really gonna crap all over Ozzie when he turned in almost the same performance Howard did the night before? Did you not watch the game yesterday? It was like watching an AHL team. So many turnovers and sloppy play. But that's all Ozzie's fault, right?

Nobody is saying the team didn't look like s***. Ozzie and the team improved in the 3rd but it was too little too late. Howard has put this team in the playoffs. The rare bad game for Howard this year is excusable. This team has looked terrible in front of Howard at times to but Howard made the saves when he needed to.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#139 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:21 PM

And Osgood has started how many times in 2010 exactly? Isn't this his first game since the Olympics? Sounds like a "rare" bad game to me.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#140 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

4/4 C. Osgood 25 21

4/3 J. Howard 24 20

The stats alone won't tell the story. Osgood let in some really crappy goals. Howard didn't.