• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:15 AM

Anyone pick one up? I'm posting this from my dad's right now. I was skeptical at first but this thing is pretty great. The keyboard really isn't bad to type on; obviously it's not as easy as a physical keyboard but it's definitely easier to use than I thought it would be. Browsing the web on it is awesome, it really just has a "natural" sort of feel to it and it's fast as hell. On top of that it has some great apps already with more to come. I really think this is going to bring tablets into the mainstream.
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#2 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:47 AM

The iPad isn't a tablet. It's a giant iPod Touch, and also a waste of money. Tablets are useful pieces of hardware. The iPad is just another way for Apple to overcharge for things that aren't worth near what it costs.

#3 VanDer

VanDer

Irish Wing!

• PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:02 AM

The iPad isn't a tablet. It's a giant iPod Touch, and also a waste of money. Tablets are useful pieces of hardware. The iPad is just another way for Apple to overcharge for things that aren't worth near what it costs.

+1

i wouldn't mind getting the HP slate whenever that comes out as it is a proper tablet

#4 Wings_Fan_In_Exile

Wings_Fan_In_Exile

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:46 AM

I was curious as to what purpose these actually serve? If somebody already owns an iphone and/or laptop, why would you want this too? Hell, I own neither a laptop nor iphone and I don't want this either. haha. Although I do want to upgrade my crappy 3 year old phone. :P
thanks offsides!

#5 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:26 PM

Wrong. Have you used one?
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#6 ilmickeyli

ilmickeyli

Meatwad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:30 PM

I thought they were stupid too until I purchased one yesterday.. Using Logmein enables me to monitor things at work (get into my work PC and check on the servers).. Great internet consumption device while I sit on the couch (phone too small and too lazy to get out laptop).

It has it's place, though it may take some time to catch on.

This coming from someone who is not an apple fanboy, do not own an iphone, nor a touch
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#7 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:47 PM

looks like a nice coaster

Posted Image

#8 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:57 PM

+1

i wouldn't mind getting the HP slate whenever that comes out as it is a proper tablet

I don't ever see myself getting a tablet PC as I prefer a physical keyboard for a computer, but if I did I'd get a Slate. Very nice looking tablets.

Wrong. Have you used one?

Yep. And like I said, it's just a giant iPod Touch. If you say otherwise, you have problems because they use the exact same OS. I have an iPhone 3GS 32GB that I bought for 299.99. If I wanted a iPad 3G 32GB, it would cost me $729.00. Over twice as much for a bigger screen? Only Apple folks, only Apple.

Edited by MCleveland89, 06 April 2010 - 02:58 PM.

#9 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:32 PM

Name iPad sounds like a Maxi Pad...
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#10 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:01 PM

Yep. And like I said, it's just a giant iPod Touch. If you say otherwise, you have problems because they use the exact same OS. I have an iPhone 3GS 32GB that I bought for 299.99. If I wanted a iPad 3G 32GB, it would cost me $729.00. Over twice as much for a bigger screen? Only Apple folks, only Apple.

Yeah, but the "bigger screen" allows you to do more than you'd be able to to on the iPhone/iPod Touch -- browsing the web is faster and a better experience overall... or try word processing on an iPod Touch. Or reading books. Playing games on it is also a much more satisfying experience than on an iPod.

Look, the thing isn't going to replace laptops any time soon (I don't think that's Apple's intention, anyway) -- but it's definitely a big step forward in terms of tablet computing and it's not a "waste of money" if you can afford it.

#11 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:12 PM

Apple sucks. Plain and simple. There are far better choices (HTC) for better price. Apple = overpriced POS with nice logo.

#12 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:45 PM

Not to turn this into a political debate, but is it just me or are most Apple slappies liberals? It certainly seems so around my way. People act as if their products were some sort of counter-cultural statement rather than well-marketed Kool Aid.

works every time

#13 ilmickeyli

ilmickeyli

Meatwad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

Not to turn this into a political debate, but is it just me or are most Apple slappies liberals? It certainly seems so around my way. People act as if their products were some sort of counter-cultural statement rather than well-marketed Kool Aid.

As a conservative iPad owner, I take offense.

Lol jk.. In all seriousness, yes, it seems to be the 'hipster' way.

Sent from my iPad
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#14 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,298 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

I think it's less about political bent and more about design. Apple puts a lot of time into the coolness factor of their items.

I don't think there's a necessary winner in the Apple versus PC debate. It depends on personal preference and needs and whatnot. But when it comes to "cool stuff I might not need but want anyway for some reason," Apple wins by a landslide.

I don't have an iphone, or an iPad, but I can see how it might be cool to have one. And also how irritating the people that do own them can be, looking for any reason to whip it out and use it.

"Yes, thank you for taking out your iphone and checking the weather in malaysia. Now I can rest easy knowing it's 79 degrees and mostly cloudy there."

#15 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:01 PM

Well, the gadgetry definitely has the cool factor but the computer users definitely have a self-righteousness about them. Granted, when not Mr. Mom I work in television which has three classes of people: liberal, flaming liberal, and the accounting department (that may have something to do with it). There is a visible recoil followed by indignation at the suggestion of using a PC.

works every time

#16 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:56 PM

yeah all those got deng libruls and their fancy computers make me mad

Posted Image

#17 Jedi

Jedi

Christmastime is buzzing in my skull...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,827 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:23 AM

I must be breaking all kinds of molds then. I'm...

A - Conservative (Mostly Libertarian, if you want to be really specific, and no, this isn't going to devolve into a political debate).

B - An Apple "slappy".

C - Most likely not going to get the iPad (hereafter referred to as the MegaPod).

Don't get me wrong, it's one snazzy piece of hardware. And as Harold pointed out, I'd be ultra hip carrying one around. But when it comes down to it, there's not much that the MegaPod brings that my MacBook or iPhone can't already do. The iBooks book reader is nice, but from the reviews I've seen of it, it's not quite as practical a device for reading when put next to the Kindle or the Nook. At the very least, I'll probably wait until the next generation comes out before I give it any serious consideration.

I don't think there's a necessary winner in the Apple versus PC debate. It depends on personal preference and needs and whatnot.

This. It's all about what works best for you. For me, that happens to be Mac. For others, it's PC. Whatever floats your boat.

"And the best, I must confess, I have saved for the last, for the ruler of this Christmas land,

is a fearsome king with a deep mighty voice, least, that's what I've come to understand.

And I've also heard it told, that he's something to behold, like a lobster, huge and red!

When he sets out to slay with his rain gear on, carting bulging sacks with his big great arms, that is so I've heard it said.

And on a dark cold night, under full moon light, he flies into a fog like a vulture in the sky!

And they call him Sandy Claws!

#18 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:54 AM

My dad bought one and I got a chance to play with it. Its pretty cool, but for the money I say wait for Apple to make a second or third generation of iPad before you buy it. Also I dislike the pricey apps.
40 for life.

#19 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:27 AM

Just picked one up for they wifey today, haven't opened it yet because it's a present but while I was at Apple store playing with the display model ... pretty impressive. For what she wants it for, it is perfect. About the price of some netbooks, very few good tablets come in at $499. Call it a giant itouch but the bigger screen makes a world of difference, yes 2.5 times better and hence the 2.5 times price. :cool:

Edited by RedWingsRox, 24 April 2010 - 08:27 AM.

#20 gowingsgo

gowingsgo

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

Was at the Apple store on 5th Ave in NYC a few weeks back and the line was 4-5 people deep around a huge table area to play and watch these things. My next door neighbor showed me his the other night and I'm more than sold even though I wanted one the day they announced the product.

I have an iPod Touch and iPhone and the iPad is just a natural step towards providing all your multimedia needs. I also own an AppleTV box which is awesome. I do not buy DVDs. I order movies through AppleTV and they are downloaded to the hard drive and I can burn a disc if needed and also sync to my phone, iPod and soon the iPad. The ability to take these things out and about is incredible. Think of being able to hand this off to your kids in the backseat of the car v having tv inserts on your seats and the kids will be quiet the whole time your going somewhere because they are watching a movie you bought.

The games and other stuff they offer is huge. Big Apple fan. Say what you want about other products, Apple delivers a great product and they take care of their customers.
NHL Playoffs = Mule Season. Lets Go Wings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users