• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yc172

How Good Is Howard?

Rate this topic

Let me start this by saying that I have not been following the lgw forums as much as i have in the past. That being said, I'm sure there has been plenty of discussion about our goaltending situation. Recently, Howard has been getting a lot of national media attention due to his solid play down the stretch.

My question?

Is Howard really as good as his numbers would indicate? Watching Howard, It is clear he is out of position a LOT of the time. I have 0 confidence if someone is coming in on him from anywhere but the middle of the ice. He seems to end up on his ass (not exactly textbook goaltending) after making a lot of his saves. So how is it Howard has such solid numbers? Am I just too skeptical about his play? Does anyone have these same feelings? Don't get me wrong, i have no more confidence in osgood, but i would REALLY like a stanley cup run this summer and would like to know how feasible that is with our current situation in goal.

He is only out of position while they are coming down his left side to me it seems. If he has a weak playoffs to me that`s not a big deal but if he comes back with a bad season next year maybe it was just a fluke. His confidence has never been higher and he is playing that way.

You are nitpicking his play a lot.

Howard is giving the team a great chance to win every game and is making key saves. That's all that matters to me.

Goaltending is a position where the best goalies in the world can look super-human one night, and god awful the next. I'm completely happy with how consistent Howard has been this season, especially considering how to team has been up and down.

No one knows how is he going to play in the playoffs, but every indication that you can document seems to be that he'll do well.

I'd say goaltending isn't the main issue facing us in the playoffs, our best players just can't seem to play a complete game and we are not overly physical. This concerns me more than seeing Jimmy or Ozzy in net.

One thing i noticed , he has a nice glove hand !!

He has a superb glove hand.

His technique is still a little unpolished, but that's likely due to the fact that despite his success, he's still a rookie.

He's rolling with some damn impressive stats. 34-15-10. Fifth in save percentage and GAA, 10th in wins, but still a rookie.

They pick up 1.3 points out of 2 every time he steps on the ice. That's better than Martin Brodeur (1.22/2), Henrik Lundqvist (1.08/2), and Ryan Miller, (1.28/2) for example.

As good as he's been, I don't think we've yet seen how good he can be.

He has been a bright spot this season and is right up there with top veteran goalies in his stats. He changed a lot of peoples thoughts from the start of the season with his strong consistent play. To me he is the one who should win the Calder and should get into the top 3 in Vezina voting.

Consistency is key. In those games where he lets in an early softie he normally follows up with real strong play. You dont see him let in multiple goals in one period very often either. He is just a good goalie that can be relied on.

The fact that he's put up such good numbers while still having a couple of things that he clearly needs to work on, just makes me that much more optimistic for this guy's future.

Yeah, there are some holes, but it comes down to the numbers. He stops the puck and he puts up wins. I'm confident with him in net.

Of course, there's a little nervousness going into the playoffs since the Legace thing is still in everyone's mind. But Howard has a different personality, so that's a bit of reassurance that nothing like that will happen again.

To me it seems the vast majority of the time this season, he can be counted on to let in 2 goals per game. He hasn't shown the type of goaltending to get shutouts on a frequent basis, but with a healthy lineup, 2 goals against should be overcome quite easily.

He's the reason the team is in the position they're in right now. The playoffs will prove what kind of mental toughness he has.

I really think Howard is the reason we have secured a playoff spot. At times, he even stole games for us (see the LA game in January with 50+ shots on net). As mentioned above, I don't feel nervous when he's getting shot on, which is probably what the players are feeling too. He has carried this team to where they are and he's probably going to get even better.

let's wait till after the post-rookie season to determine how good he is.

Sorry read your post a little better and realized what you were saying!

Edited by Opie