Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:18 PM

http://www.us.powerade.com/zero/

A zero calorie sports drink.

Right.

Sports drink.

Sports drinks help you engage in athletic activities. They do so by providing energy.

Energy comes in the form of calories.

A drink with zero calories provides zero energy.

I earnestly hope people can see the enormous gaping hole in the logic of what Powerade is trying to do here.

#2 Jedi

Jedi

In this town of Halloween...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:55 PM

http://www.us.powerade.com/zero/

A zero calorie sports drink.

Right.

Sports drink.

Sports drinks help you engage in athletic activities. They do so by providing energy.

Energy comes in the form of calories.

A drink with zero calories provides zero energy.

I earnestly hope people can see the enormous gaping hole in the logic of what Powerade is trying to do here.

But it's ZERO calories!! MUST... BUY... NOW... :ph34r:

y4m8.png
"Come with us and you will see, this our town of Halloween..."

#3 solnyshko

solnyshko

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:01 PM

Actually, you're going to want to get your calories from a high carb food. The purpose of the sports drink is hydration + electrolytes, yeah?

#4 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:05 PM

Actually, you're going to want to get your calories from a high carb food. The purpose of the sports drink is hydration + electrolytes, yeah?

Yeah, usually Powerade (and most sports drinks) also include those carbs though.

#5 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:23 PM

Sports drinks can replenish electrolytes, sure, and they will hydrate you, yes, but athletes---myself included---use them primarily for energy.

Your body can metabolize sugars in liquids far faster than it can metabolize sugars in solid foods. On an empty stomach, carbohydrates from a sports drink can be metabolized by your body in ~30 minutes. Also, absorbing liquids does not significantly trigger your body's parasympathetic responses. Solid carbohydrates would take three times that long to metabolize, and they would roundly activate the parasympathetic nervous system for digestion. They'd also make one bloat significantly. This all makes liquid-absorbed carbohydrates far better for quick energy than solid carbohydrates. Also, it really doesn't need to be said that while it's pretty easy to drink a sugar-filled liquid during exercise, it's really not possible to eat a meal.

As far as electrolytes go, sports drinks really don't contain a huge amount of them.

Edit: I'm a physiology major and I know a lot about nutrition and exercise science, if you were interested.

Edited by Crymson, 04 April 2010 - 07:25 PM.

#6 solnyshko

solnyshko

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:10 PM

Sports drinks can replenish electrolytes, sure, and they will hydrate you, yes, but athletes---myself included---use them primarily for energy.

Your body can metabolize sugars in liquids far faster than it can metabolize sugars in solid foods. On an empty stomach, carbohydrates from a sports drink can be metabolized by your body in ~30 minutes. Also, absorbing liquids does not significantly trigger your body's parasympathetic responses. Solid carbohydrates would take three times that long to metabolize, and they would roundly activate the parasympathetic nervous system for digestion. They'd also make one bloat significantly. This all makes liquid-absorbed carbohydrates far better for quick energy than solid carbohydrates. Also, it really doesn't need to be said that while it's pretty easy to drink a sugar-filled liquid during exercise, it's really not possible to eat a meal.

As far as electrolytes go, sports drinks really don't contain a huge amount of them.

Edit: I'm a physiology major and I know a lot about nutrition and exercise science, if you were interested.

Okay. We just had a big project due in nutrition on this sort of thing but I'm just taking a class on it, def not a nutrition major. And I guess I should've been clearer, I didn't mean to suggest eating a meal in the middle of exercising. That's no good. I was more so thinking before. Anyway, thanks for the info. If I ever get slammed with any crazy A&P homework, I'll hit you up :P

#7 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:51 PM

Memories of A&P still send me into the fetal position.

A lot of people at work use Gatorade and the like for hydration. We get hot, move around a lot and sweat like horses, so we all have a bottle of something handy. The 0 calorie drinks are pretty popular because people are drinking them in place of water just to have something with some flavour. I prefer water, but that's me.

Other people like them because they're not as sweet-tasting as soda or koolaid. Again, the 0 calorie ones are popular.

I can see where an athlete might want something with more carbs, but for those who are drinking it for the taste/liquid, 0 calories is a popular option.

#8 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:02 AM

Memories of A&P still send me into the fetal position.

A lot of people at work use Gatorade and the like for hydration. We get hot, move around a lot and sweat like horses, so we all have a bottle of something handy. The 0 calorie drinks are pretty popular because people are drinking them in place of water just to have something with some flavour. I prefer water, but that's me.

Other people like them because they're not as sweet-tasting as soda or koolaid. Again, the 0 calorie ones are popular.

I can see where an athlete might want something with more carbs, but for those who are drinking it for the taste/liquid, 0 calories is a popular option.

I was mocking the use of the phrase "the world's first zero calorie sports drink". There are plenty of sweetened beverages that have zero calories, but they don't call themselves sports drinks.

#9 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:04 AM

It may not give you as much as a normal gatorade or powerade. But the product does have magnesium, vitamin B3, B6, and most importantly, vitamin B12. Even at just 10% each that's definitely going to give you more than a normal zero calorie drink I.E. water. I drink sports drinks almost every time I run or play various sports. And I'm never drinking them in order to get some sort of energy buzz. They are mainly used for hydration and trying to stay fresh longer. The product is definitely not pointless. In fact, it makes perfect sense.

Just yesterday I played basketball with friends at a local YMCA. All I had with me is my big portable water bottle full of ice water. We played for about 90 minutes. And it didn't hurt my performance or energy level at all. And why? Because I had plenty of other calories to burn. And I consider myself to be very in shape. The difference between 50 calories (the highest level of calories available in a sports drink) and 0 calories are far from a major difference. Most people consume over 2,000 calories every day. You would have to basically starve yourself to the point of utter weakness to be able to tell the difference between 50 and 0 calories. Therefore every calorie I burned while playing, stayed burnt instead of me guzzling down more calories constantly while playing (hence alot of people choosing to drink just water alone while working out or exercising).

This product is far from pointless. In fact, wednesday afternoon when we have our next game, I'll be buying a bottle of it. Water+vitamins is better than water alone.

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings, 05 April 2010 - 04:05 AM.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#10 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:14 PM

It may not give you as much as a normal gatorade or powerade. But the product does have magnesium, vitamin B3, B6, and most importantly, vitamin B12. Even at just 10% each that's definitely going to give you more than a normal zero calorie drink I.E. water. I drink sports drinks almost every time I run or play various sports. And I'm never drinking them in order to get some sort of energy buzz. They are mainly used for hydration and trying to stay fresh longer. The product is definitely not pointless. In fact, it makes perfect sense.

Just yesterday I played basketball with friends at a local YMCA. All I had with me is my big portable water bottle full of ice water. We played for about 90 minutes. And it didn't hurt my performance or energy level at all. And why? Because I had plenty of other calories to burn. And I consider myself to be very in shape. The difference between 50 calories (the highest level of calories available in a sports drink) and 0 calories are far from a major difference. Most people consume over 2,000 calories every day. You would have to basically starve yourself to the point of utter weakness to be able to tell the difference between 50 and 0 calories. Therefore every calorie I burned while playing, stayed burnt instead of me guzzling down more calories constantly while playing (hence alot of people choosing to drink just water alone while working out or exercising).

This product is far from pointless. In fact, wednesday afternoon when we have our next game, I'll be buying a bottle of it. Water+vitamins is better than water alone.

32oz of Gatorade has 60g of sugar. As the average person takes in less than 300g of digestible (non-fiber) carbohydrates, this is a very significant amount. When I'm exercising over long periods, I use it in order to keep going. My blood sugar would get rather low were I not to do so. Also, small amounts of vitamins and minerals in a sports drink are not going to give you very much. You don't lose B vitamins when you sweat, and more B vitamins will only give you more energy if you were deficient to begin with.

Like I said, I studied this sort of material in college. I remain an avid student of nutrition in general.

This product is a waste of money. It will hardly give you anything water won't, aside from taste---and you'll be taking in a whole lot of artificial sugars. Powerade is attempting to make this product seem viable by serving customers with a bunch of complex adjectives and very scientific-looking descriptions. In a very real sense, it's a waste of money.

Edited by Crymson, 05 April 2010 - 12:25 PM.

#11 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:04 PM

This is how companies market a lot of products/brands. What's surprising here?

Edited by Shoreline, 05 April 2010 - 03:05 PM.

#12 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:41 PM

The grape one is actually my favorite tasting sport drink of any kind. Very tasty!

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users