84 replies to this topic

#61 zombi

zombi

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:57 AM

haha! Thanks Chicago.

Not the way I pictured us getting our playoff berth, but I'll take it!

Great job guys! It's been a roller-coaster of a season, but it's been fun!

Posted Image

#62 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:09 AM

Yeah to all the doubters, HA You were wrong, Eat It !!!!!!!!!! Wings are in the playoffs. 19 Straight.

But seriously though, I understand how it can be to get frustrated with this team, so lets all just sit back get ready for the playoffs and hope for a long run. Its gonna be tough.

#63 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:06 AM

19 years in a row for Lidstrom and Holmstrom. Awesome!

Holmstrom didn't play for the Wings until the 96-97 season I think. So for him it's more like 13 years or something like that.

#64 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:24 AM

Did anyone mention that if the Wings make the playoffs next year they will tie the longest playoff-streak in franchise history?

#65 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:34 AM

Considering all the adversity we've had, and everything we've gone through this season, to win is sweeter. And to win it all would be the most meaningful. I honestly believe that.

So here's to the boys, and let's hope they do well. No matter how far they go, I'm still proud of them. :champs:
Posted Image

#66 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:39 AM

Did anyone mention that if the Wings make the playoffs next year they will tie the longest playoff-streak in franchise history?

Nope, no one mentioned it.

If Lidstrom comes back I'm pretty confident they'll tie it. And if he comes back for the next year then I'm pretty confident they'll break it. I don't know the exact details of it but the compacted schedule due to the Olympics had a big effect on the Wings this season. Next year they won't have to deal with that.

Hopefully they'll be able to beat Boston's at 29 years. I hate Boston. They always seem to be better than Detroit at all the sports I care about. If they do that then they'll have the biggest streak in all of sports right?

#67 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:42 AM

Nope, no one mentioned it.

If Lidstrom comes back I'm pretty confident they'll tie it. And if he comes back for the next year then I'm pretty confident they'll break it. I don't know the exact details of it but the compacted schedule due to the Olympics had a big effect on the Wings this season. Next year they won't have to deal with that.

Hopefully they'll be able to beat Boston's at 29 years. I hate Boston. They always seem to be better than Detroit at all the sports I care about. If they do that then they'll have the biggest streak in all of sports right?

Correct....though beating NFL and MLB teams isn't really a fair comparison.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#68 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

I would take Niemi over both Howard and Osgood based on how they played recently.

It appears you are finally jumping off the Red Wings bandwagon and jumping on to the Blackhawks... it's cool though, when you lack hockey knowledge all you have to go by is which team is playing the best :thumbup:

Edited by cupforwings, 05 April 2010 - 03:06 PM.

#69 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:16 PM

Howard is decent and Osgood flat out freakin' sucks

Niemi is decent.

I like Niemi's stickwork better so i'd take him over howard.

#70 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:22 PM

hey mindfly your af****** duster. Howard is just decent eh? If no one on this team is good enough for you how about you suit up for the wings and show us how itsf****** done. Get your fat ass off this forum

#71 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:25 PM

Why you acting like a tough guy on a internet forum? ridiculous... Yeah he is a decent goalie that looks superb playing on this team, he lack too much to be called a "great goalie" (read: stick-handling, rebound control, positioning etc)

#72 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:26 PM

most entertaining wings season in a long time

Posted Image

#73 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:40 PM

19 straight years *******!!!!! if your a hater GTFO

#74 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

Personally I liked both 07/08 and 08/09 better, 07/08 because they played so damn good on almost every night and last season because of all the goals 300+ if i remember correctly?

#75 Jedi

Jedi

Christmastime is buzzing in my skull...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,827 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:49 PM

Agreed. It's easy to be a fan when everything's going right.

A season like this is exactly what some Wings fans need. A reminder of all that we have taken for granted in the long years since we've had to struggle for each and every point.

"And the best, I must confess, I have saved for the last, for the ruler of this Christmas land,

is a fearsome king with a deep mighty voice, least, that's what I've come to understand.

And I've also heard it told, that he's something to behold, like a lobster, huge and red!

When he sets out to slay with his rain gear on, carting bulging sacks with his big great arms, that is so I've heard it said.

And on a dark cold night, under full moon light, he flies into a fog like a vulture in the sky!

And they call him Sandy Claws!

#76 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:00 PM

Nice change of pace I guess, but I still prefer them kicking everybody's ass all the time. :P
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#77 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:31 PM

Personally I liked both 07/08 and 08/09 better, 07/08 because they played so damn good on almost every night.

Ehh, I don't think so. They still had A LOT of games where they didn't put in a full 60 minutes.

#78 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:55 PM

up through the olympics i really wondered if the wings had it in them to even reach the play-offs. im so glad they went on this tear, and hope it continues through the play-offs. nothing would be sweeter than to knock out chicago two years in a row (then to go onto win the cup again!)

#79 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,753 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:58 PM

Agreed. It's easy to be a fan when everything's going right.

A season like this is exactly what some Wings fans need. A reminder of all that we have taken for granted in the long years since we've had to struggle for each and every point.

This. :thumbup:

I enjoyed the struggle. We had to work to earn our playoff spot and that made it even more meaningful.

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#80 vOrophin

vOrophin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:00 PM

Personally I liked both 07/08 and 08/09 better, 07/08 because they played so damn good on almost every night and last season because of all the goals 300+ if i remember correctly?

Wings haven't put up 300+ since 05-06.

Also I think Niemi is a lot less consistent than Howard, though they are both good goalies when on their game. Huet and Osgood are both playing baaaaad in the recent games for each.

This season was tough to watch through a lot of it but has been incredibly rewarding in the past few weeks. Hopefully they play well in the playoffs, the way they have played they have a legit chance to go take it all.