• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheDetroitRedWings

Should the Wings part ways with Osgood?

Rate this topic

260 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With all this Osgood talk, I was really curious to see how the numbers would break down in terms of who still wants him, and who doesn't. Personally, I really hope we part ways with him. I still love his legacy in Detroit. And I'll never forget all he has done. But with every sport, this is a what have you done for me lately world. And the fact is, Osgood isn't even mediocre anymore. He has been very sub-par. I think the sooner we move on, the sooner the Wings can acquire a capable and consistent back up in case anything ever happens to Jimmy. Someone we can put in and still be just as confident in our team getting the win. I know he is under contract for one more year. But I feel strongly that we need to move on.

This thread is a poll only. There are already enough discussion threads on Osgood.

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings

I know we're not supposed to discuss in this thread, but there is one point for clarification. Do you want to specify that the "yes" option includes the possibility that Osgood himself chooses to leave as well?

No.

Unless Osgood develops an attitude problem or there's money issues (which I doubt either will happen), I want him to stay and retire as a Wing, whenever he wants to.

He's dedicated a good bit of his career to this organization and is just so underappreciated overall.

If Howard is the starter for good from now on out, next season, whatever, that's perfectly fine with me, I try not to show extreme pro or negative bias towards players. I just hate (and laugh at) when people say athletes are done, are scrubs, whatever else overdramatic when it is clearly not true.

Osgood is far from done, I just want to see him get 400 wins and retire as a Red Wing, whether he plays 50 games in a season or just 15 in a season or whatever.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

No.

Unless Osgood develops an attitude problem or there's money issues (which I doubt either will happen), I want him to stay and retire as a Wing, whenever he wants to.

He's dedicated a good bit of his career to this organization and is just so underappreciated overall.

If Howard is the starter for good from now on out, next season, whatever, that's perfectly fine with me, I try not to show extreme pro or negative bias towards players. I just hate (and laugh at) when people say athletes are done, are scrubs, whatever else overdramatic when it is clearly not true.

Osgood is far from done, I just want to see him get 400 wins and retire as a Red Wing, whether he plays 50 games in a season or just 15 in a season or whatever.

This is suppose to be a poll only bro. There are 4-5 other threads where we can discuss Ozzie.

Does anybody else think it'd be hilurious if this turned out to be the Longest Ozzie Thread in LGW HISTORY!!! :yowza:

Okay, sorry couldn't resist!

Hmmm.. we'd have to "pay" him on the salary cap anyway, sooooooo... NO.

Let him ride the pine as Jimmy's backup and get his 400 wins. If nothing else, the Illitch's are a loyal bunch and at this point - the Wings owe Ozzy his shot at 400 wins in the winged wheel.

Edited by FireCaptain

Seriously, I find this subject hilarious. How can anybody view this season as an indication of Osgood's ability? Yes, he struggled in the beginning, but he also had some really good games. Now, he's barely playing one game per month. You can't put a 37 year old goaltender in after basically sitting on the bench since January and expect him to play well right away. If anything, we should be discussing whether Babcock should get fired for the way he handled the goaltending situation. Give Osgood 3-4 starts...then we can start judging his play. Howard sucked too when the season started. His play didn't pick up until he started playing every game.

In short: no.

In long (actually list form):

1. He is on the cap next year regardless unless there is a buyout which ain't happenin.

2. It is possible someone would want a trade for him (veteran backup with 2 cup rings as a starter says hello) but it isn't likely considering his age.

3. Howard has explicitly stated how much Osgood has helped his development, and he will still need it next year if he doesn't want to end up like a Mason or Ellis.

4. Osgood has been dedicated to the Winged Wheel since he got here, and moving Osgood before allowing him to get his 400th win here would be a serious blemish on Detroit's almost perfect reputation of loyalty within the franchise. Players like that.

Edited by Doc Holliday

In short: no.

In long (actually list form):

1. He is on the cap next year regardless unless there is a buyout which ain't happenin.

2. It is possible someone would want a trade for him (veteran backup with 2 cup rings as a starter says hello) but it isn't likely considering his age.

3. Howard has explicitly stated how much Osgood has helped his development, and he will still need it next year if he doesn't want to end up like a Mason or Ellis.

4. Osgood has been dedicated to the Winged Wheel since he got here, and moving Osgood before allowing him to get his 400th win here would be a serious blemish on Detroit's almost perfect reputation of loyalty within the franchise. Players like that.

That says it all.

No, have faith in Ozzie. I firmly believe Howard has kept us in the race, but Ozzie could've done the same for us. He was playing well and improving steadily despite a bad start of the season (you can blame the way everyone else played more, actually), then he missed 4 games with the flu and never got consistent starts afterward to shake off the rust. Now he's expected to miss 20 games, and be perfect in his 1st game back, then miss another 20 games, and be perfect in his first game back. Goalie's don't get out of slumps unless you play them, and Babcock had his chance to shake the rust off Ozzie before the slew of injuries hit this team. Not that Babcock could've known what was coming, I'm just saying.

Also, there have only been a couple games where Ozzie looked as bad as he did last year. You put him in net this whole season with his experience and ability to win when it matters(like it has all season), and never being allowed to get cold, and I'd have put my money on him carrying us through the season.

Hat's off to Howie, he's been amazing, I'm not trying to discredit him, I just personally think Ozzie has a lot of good Hockey left in him that has sort of gone to waste this season.

No, I believe Ozzie will finish his contract with the Wings as a back-up. After that, he may possibly play on another team for a year or two as a starter (perhaps a team lower in the standings looking for a veteran goalie), and then call it quits.

i would cry if osgood left or we didnt bring him back this year.... i dont know what kind of connection it is with this guy that i have... thers just something about him, he gets abused by nhl analyst nhl fans made fun of etc etc. but u have to be a redwings fan n only a redwings fan to appreciate this man i love him to death n believe me when i say this my late grama n grampa meant alot to me like alot, but noone in this world has ever had a softer spot in my heart other then chris osgood n i speak from the bottom of my heart when i say this its ozzie ozzie ozzie for life(L)

i would cry if osgood left or we didnt bring him back this year.... i dont know what kind of connection it is with this guy that i have... thers just something about him, he gets abused by nhl analyst nhl fans made fun of etc etc. but u have to be a redwings fan n only a redwings fan to appreciate this man i love him to death n believe me when i say this my late grama n grampa meant alot to me like alot, but noone in this world has ever had a softer spot in my heart other then chris osgood n i speak from the bottom of my heart when i say this its ozzie ozzie ozzie for life(L)

Have you even met him?

This is suppose to be a poll only bro. There are 4-5 other threads where we can discuss Ozzie.

And this is a forum to express points and opinions. You can do that in whichever thread you want related to the topic at hand as long as you aren't personally attacking somebody and doing it within the forum rules, bro. Including this one.

And this is a forum to express points and opinions. You can do that in whichever thread you want related to the topic at hand as long as you aren't personally attacking somebody and doing it within the forum rules, bro. Including this one.

My original point was the fact that there are several Osgood related threads. So I didn't want this thread to turn into yet another one. And no you can't discuss and make comments in any thread you want. I have the option to lock out comments and turn the thread into a poll only. But just in case people had any questions I decided to leave it open. I tried to make it clear that this was a poll only. Might wanna lose that attitude though buddy. I was saying bro in a lighthearted way, not a cocky dickhead way. If you wanna keep making this thread an Osgood debate thread I will lock the comment option. I just wanted to see how the numbers broke down in terms of who still wants Ozzie and who doesn't. Simple as that.

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings

My original point was the fact that there are several Osgood related threads. So I didn't want this thread to turn into yet another one. And no you can't discuss and make comments in any thread you want. I have the option to lock out comments and turn the thread into a poll only. But just in case people had any questions I decided to leave it open. I tried to make it clear that this was a poll only. Might wanna lose that attitude though buddy. I was saying bro in a lighthearted way, not a cocky dickhead way. If you wanna keep making this thread an Osgood debate thread I will lock the comment option. I just wanted to see how the numbers broke down in terms of who still wants Ozzie and who doesn't. Simple as that.

Then you can tell this to other people as well who made more than 1-liner posts in here and not just single me out. And you edited to specifically say "poll only" pretty much while I was making my post in there. So giving me crap about it is pretty unfair given that we were doing our schticks in this thread more/less at the same time. And I apologize for interpreting it the wrong way, but it's hard to interpret emotions/mood online sometimes.