• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheDetroitRedWings

Should the Wings part ways with Osgood?

Rate this topic

260 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Then you can tell this to other people as well who made more than 1-liner posts in here and not just single me out. And you edited to specifically say "poll only" pretty much while I was making my post in there. So giving me crap about it is pretty unfair given that we were doing our schticks in this thread more/less at the same time. And I apologize for interpreting it the wrong way, but it's hard to interpret emotions/mood online sometimes.

No worries. I didn't know that you didn't see the poll only part. And I didn't mean to single you out. You were just the first one to begin to debate the subject. No big deal though. I just didn't want the mods getting annoyed by multiple similar threads.

No worries. I didn't know that you didn't see the poll only part. And I didn't mean to single you out. You were just the first one to begin to debate the subject. No big deal though. I just didn't want the mods getting annoyed by multiple similar threads.

Cool.

*awkward hommie hug*

:D

infact yes i have first time in detroit at in 2008 after the cup win n last time just 2 weeks ago in van after the nux n wings game

Alright then. At least you met him. If I was your grandparents I would still be hurt that you choose Ozzie over them. lol

Guest Lidstromboli

keep him around to mentor Jimmy, get the 400 wins and not stink too much. they've sent him off before, but i don't think there will be any Haseks coming our way any time soon

In short: no.

In long (actually list form):

1. He is on the cap next year regardless unless there is a buyout which ain't happenin.

2. It is possible someone would want a trade for him (veteran backup with 2 cup rings as a starter says hello) but it isn't likely considering his age.

3. Howard has explicitly stated how much Osgood has helped his development, and he will still need it next year if he doesn't want to end up like a Mason or Ellis.

4. Osgood has been dedicated to the Winged Wheel since he got here, and moving Osgood before allowing him to get his 400th win here would be a serious blemish on Detroit's almost perfect reputation of loyalty within the franchise. Players like that.

I voted No, for pretty much all these reasons.

Love him or hate him, the reality is the Wings are paying his salary next year unless he gets traded, which as Doc mentions is unlikely based on his age and his play this season.

So the best possible scenario is Osgood transitions into the backup role and starts playing well for those 15 or 20 games they rest Jimmy.

I voted No, for pretty much all these reasons.

Love him or hate him, the reality is the Wings are paying his salary next year unless he gets traded, which as Doc mentions is unlikely based on his age and his play this season.

So the best possible scenario is Osgood transitions into the backup role and starts playing well for those 15 or 20 games they rest Jimmy.

Exactly. If this season has shown us anything, it's shown us that letting goalie prospects ripen on the Griffins works 100% of the time. They are 1 for 1... haha.

Seriously though... that would be the best possible scenario.

Exactly. If this season has shown us anything, it's shown us that letting goalie prospects ripen on the Griffins works 100% of the time. They are 1 for 1... haha.

Joey MacDonald. Drew MacIntyre. Norm Maracle. Kevin Hodson.

Need I continue?

Joey MacDonald. Drew MacIntyre. Norm Maracle. Kevin Hodson.

Need I continue?

Please do.

The point is, another year of seasoning for the kids, assuming Howard and Osgood are a tandem next year, is the best possible scenario in my opinion.

I think it would be very selfish of the organization to let him go.

That doesn't make any sense.

A better way to put it would be, "it doesn't make any sense for the organization to trade Ozzie because..."

The Red Wings organization will always do what's best for the org. It's impossible to be selfish when you're running a business, because being selfish is pretty much the definition of "good business".

Unless we're running a business in the USSR.

Don't get me wrong, though. I agree with where you were going, just not at all with how you phrased it.

Osgood will stay around because:

1) He's a good backup, and his cap hit is very low for a goalie of his calibre.

2) He's a good mentor for Jimmy.

3) He's one of the best playoff goalies in the NHL.

4) Were he to retire, his cap hit would remain.

5) We wouldn't get much in return for him, and we'd be stuck with Larsson or McCollum in net as a backup.

That doesn't make any sense.

A better way to put it would be, "it doesn't make any sense for the organization to trade Ozzie because..."

The Red Wings organization will always do what's best for the org. It's impossible to be selfish when you're running a business, because being selfish is pretty much the definition of "good business".

Unless we're running a business in the USSR.

Don't get me wrong, though. I agree with where you were going, just not at all with how you phrased it.

Osgood will stay around because:

1) He's a good backup, and his cap hit is very low for a goalie of his calibre.

2) He's a good mentor for Jimmy.

3) He's one of the best playoff goalies in the NHL.

4) Were he to retire, his cap hit would remain.

5) We wouldn't get much in return for him, and we'd be stuck with Larsson or McCollum in net as a backup.

I may need some help with #4, but honestly, I think all 5 of those items are just plain WRONG! Hate to rag on a fellow out-of-market fan b/c I know how hard it can be to watch the games sometimes, but he has been one of the worst goalies in the NHL in the past two regular seasons. Yes, he was terrific in last year's playoffs, but it's Howard's job now, and we wouldn't even be close to playoff contention had Osgood played all year. A $1.4 million cap hit for a backup goalie who can't even be trusted to handle the one the games in a back-to-back is NOT a good deal.

On point #3, that has traditionally been true, though I think Osgood in front of a mediocre defense (which is what we've had this year) is not capable of the same level of play we saw in 2008 or even in the '09 Playoffs.

On point #5, just because Osgood leaves (by trade, retirement, whatever), doesn't mean we couldn't find a Ty Conklin-type guy for half the price that could handle like 15-25 games next season. It doesn't have to be either Larsson or McCollum, if the Wings don't believe either of those guys is ready.

I think it would be very selfish of the organization to let him go.

Selfish how? The guy has posted better than a 3.00 GAA or 89% save percentage over the past two seasons. Honestly, if the alternative had been somebody more prominent than Ty Conklin last year, he probably never even gets the chance to play in the '09 Playoffs.

And from a fan's perspective, this thing is only going to get worse and worse with time. Osgood turns 38 in November. If he left after this season (and Howard plays well in the playoffs), there's a good chance much of this will be forgotten and he'll be remembered primarily as the winner of the 1998 and 2008 Cups, and a potential Hall of Fame candidate, based on his overall credentials. If I had the choice, I don't want to see another season where Osgood plays once a month, sucks, and then complains about inconsistent playing time again. I don't want to see this thing turn more sour.

Selfish how? The guy has posted better than a 3.00 GAA or 89% save percentage over the past two seasons. Honestly, if the alternative had been somebody more prominent than Ty Conklin last year, he probably never even gets the chance to play in the '09 Playoffs.

And from a fan's perspective, this thing is only going to get worse and worse with time. Osgood turns 38 in November. If he left after this season (and Howard plays well in the playoffs), there's a good chance much of this will be forgotten and he'll be remembered primarily as the winner of the 1998 and 2008 Cups, and a potential Hall of Fame candidate, based on his overall credentials. If I had the choice, I don't want to see another season where Osgood plays once a month, sucks, and then complains about inconsistent playing time again. I don't want to see this thing turn more sour.

Why do people forget that he complained about the fact Babcock was keeping BOTH goaltenders on the bench for extended periods of time?

Osgood wasn't complaining that HE wasn't getting starts, he was complaining that Babcock was not efficiently playing the goaltenders. Should he have been quiet? Yes. Was he being selfish? Absolutely not.

I may need some help with #4, but honestly, I think all 5 of those items are just plain WRONG! Hate to rag on a fellow out-of-market fan b/c I know how hard it can be to watch the games sometimes, but he has been one of the worst goalies in the NHL in the past two regular seasons. Yes, he was terrific in last year's playoffs, but it's Howard's job now, and we wouldn't even be close to playoff contention had Osgood played all year. A $1.4 million cap hit for a backup goalie who can't even be trusted to handle the one the games in a back-to-back is NOT a good deal.

On point #3, that has traditionally been true, though I think Osgood in front of a mediocre defense (which is what we've had this year) is not capable of the same level of play we saw in 2008 or even in the '09 Playoffs.

On point #5, just because Osgood leaves (by trade, retirement, whatever), doesn't mean we couldn't find a Ty Conklin-type guy for half the price that could handle like 15-25 games next season. It doesn't have to be either Larsson or McCollum, if the Wings don't believe either of those guys is ready.

#4 is true as long as you know anything about how the salary cap works. 'Sup capgeek.com?

Also, you realize that Ty Conklin gets $1.3M and is a backup, right? Consider too that Osgood has also been credited heavily by Howard for his success this year in a mentorship role. No other goalie in the NHL can really provide that (playoff success and mental resilience, things that Howard has very little of).

$1.4M is also better than the $5.6M that the Hawks pay their "backup", Huet. ;)

And as a final point, $1.4M isn't bad at all for a goalie, especially when our starter is only getting $716k. We're still paying BOTH of our goalies less than half of what the Hawks' "backup" is getting, and I'd much rather have that than the alternative.

It will all depend on Howie performs in the playoffs. And if Ozzie doesn't play and he knows he won't get much playing time next year he just may retire. Holland and Ozzie are close so who knows what will happen.

I hate polls like this, because they don't take into account all the factors - he was signed after 35, so if we cut ties, we're sucking up cap space to make a player go away... he has had an OBVIOUSLY positive impact on Howard and one more year backing up Howard can't hurt... after his contract is up, let him retire a Wing, with 400 wins, on his own terms and go out right... he has been a professional and done a lot for this team and deserves it.

He'll be back, for loyalty, for cap reasons. The only way he leaves is if he wants to leave and asks to be traded.

I honestly think now that we know what we have with Howard, and the fact that next season we hopefully won't be fighting such ridiculous bad luck and injuries, Osgood will get more consistent starts.

It's not Osgood's fault that Babcock needed to rely on Howard because the team was so terrible for most of this year. Next year when they get a fresh start he'll be a backup still but it'll be split more evenly like it was intended to be this year. You can't get any better than Osgood for his price, and if given the chance to play semi-regularly he'll get his game back and be the best possible backup in the league.

Guest mindfly

I think detroit should go for carey price now that they obviously gonna roll with Halak and price's tradevalue is far from what it was before... Filppula+pick for Price... GET ER DONE... Price would look like a wall behind the detroit defense and selke-forwards...howard would be a decent backup.

I think detroit should go for carey price now that they obviously gonna roll with Halak and price's tradevalue is far from what it was before... Filppula+pick for Price... GET ER DONE... Price would look like a wall behind the detroit defense and selke-forwards...howard would be a decent backup.

Are you high?!? Price is going to get at least 2.5 mil on his next deal and Howard has been STELLAR...why would he back up? Add that to the fact that you want to give up a NOT EVEN PRIME Flip AND a pick... there's not an ounce of logic behind this thought... this is easily one of the most hair-brained suggestions I have ever read on this board and there have been a lot of them...