• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheDetroitRedWings

Should the Wings part ways with Osgood?

Rate this topic

260 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest mindfly

I'm thinking why not use the spare million's from lidstrom's new contract on a goalie that can steal games and is young and has excellent technique (with better rebound control than howard, can use a goalie stick and has great positioning, all the flaws that howard has he doesn't has)

Edited by mindfly

I'm thinking why not use the spare million's from lidstrom's new contract on a goalie that can steal games and is young and has excellent technique (with better rebound control than howard, can use a goalie stick and has great positioning, all the flaws that howard has he doesn't has)

You should go back and watch some of the early Howard games this season. His rebound control has improved dramatically.

Howard is worth every penny we pay him, and if he continues to improve, I see no reason why he won't be a primary goalie for a long time.

I voted yes, unless he really doesn't want to play hockey anymore he should ask for a trade, and even if that means playing in the AHL, if he wants to play he should be happy.

My call for next year he'll play about 10-20 games for the wings next year in nearly identical fashion as this year, and retire. I just think it's sad that he will almost surely allow things to play out that way.

I hate polls like this, because they don't take into account all the factors - he was signed after 35, so if we cut ties, we're sucking up cap space to make a player go away... he has had an OBVIOUSLY positive impact on Howard and one more year backing up Howard can't hurt... after his contract is up, let him retire a Wing, with 400 wins, on his own terms and go out right... he has been a professional and done a lot for this team and deserves it.

Exactly what I was thinking. :thumbup:

And what should the Wings do with Osgood in that scenario? It's unlikely anyone would trade for him, and if he retires or gets waived, his salary still counts against the cap. So there goes a good chunk of any spare millions from Lidstrom's new contract.

Even if a team were interested in Ozzy, I think it would essentially have to be somewhere Osgood would want to go to play. After all his years in Detroit, it sets a bad example if Holland were to trade him somewhere he didn't want to go.

So if Osgood retires or is waived, that's over a million dollars down the toilet.

Think they can buy him out and only 50% of his salary affects the cap

This starts to get a little beyond my understanding of the CBA, but I thought since he signed when he was older than 35, any buyout still counts against the cap. Like no matter what the situation is other than a trade, if he's older than 35, the team has to eat the cap hit.

Not positive though.

Think they can buy him out and only 50% of his salary affects the cap

It's 2/3rds, over twice the remaining years on the contract. So they would be on the hook for about $500K for the next two years just to not have Osgood on the team, and therefore paying any replacement more than $1M would result in a net loss of cap space.

This starts to get a little beyond my understanding of the CBA, but I thought since he signed when he was older than 35, any buyout still counts against the cap. Like no matter what the situation is other than a trade, if he's older than 35, the team has to eat the cap hit.

Not positive though.

I know that is true for retirements. I imagine it would be the same or else no one would retire they would just get bought out instead.

It's 2/3rds, over twice the remaining years on the contract. So they would be on the hook for about $500K for the next two years just to not have Osgood on the team, and therefore paying any replacement more than $1M would result in a net loss of cap space.

That makes sense.

Guest Crymson

I think detroit should go for carey price now that they obviously gonna roll with Halak and price's tradevalue is far from what it was before... Filppula+pick for Price... GET ER DONE... Price would look like a wall behind the detroit defense and selke-forwards...howard would be a decent backup.

This is easily the most imbecilic trade suggestion I've seen on these boards in six months.

You're so clueless and spoiled that you can't ever appreciate what the Wings have. They have an excellent package in Howard, but you pretty much think he sucks---or, rather, you think that anyone on the team who is not perfect should be traded, and you think that the team's purpose should be to play perfectly so that you don't have to suffer the anguish (sarc) of seeing them ever lose.

Get a clue.

I think detroit should go for carey price now that they obviously gonna roll with Halak and price's tradevalue is far from what it was before... Filppula+pick for Price... GET ER DONE... Price would look like a wall behind the detroit defense and selke-forwards...howard would be a decent backup.

Not a good trade suggestion.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Not a good trade suggestion.

I don't normally agree with you, but this times a million. If Filppula is to be traded, it better be as a center piece of the return for some PROVEN ELITE talent.

As for Osgood, I have had the opportunity to have several "in-depth" (relative to the average athlete-fan relationship/interaction) conversations with him, and I really think most of his problems are just from his personal life. Not going to post anything specific, since they are just conclusions drawn on things he has said, but I expect that his drop in play has a lot more to do with distractions in his personal life than lack of talent/drive at this point and time.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Have you watched Price at all this year? It's not that Halak is battling with Price for the starting job. They are not even close.

Price's rebounds are not good at all this year. His stick work isn't that great and gets him in to trouble sometimes. His positioning is not to bad but he over commits big time on just about every shot and does not look solid in the crease. He is shaky and bound to improve but Detroit is not the place for him to do it.

I don't normally agree with you but this times a million. If Filppula is to be traded, it better be as a center piece of the return for some PROVEN ELITE talent.

Well, I'm not one to be incredibly familiar with a lot of NHLers around the league, but it's not hard to figure out why this is a pretty absurd idea.

Howard proved his worth this year getting more playing time and it's hard to think he won't at least share time with Osgood/any other goalie years down the road as his career goes on. Slim/none that he will be a backup anymore after this season.

I don't see how Price or Halak are that significantly better than Howard to justify a trade for them.

Guest Crymson

Have you watched Price at all this year? It's not that Halak is battling with Price for the starting job. They are not even close.

Price's rebounds are not good at all this year. His stick work isn't that great and gets him in to trouble sometimes. His positioning is not to bad but he over commits big time on just about every shot and does not look solid in the crease. He is shaky and bound to improve but Detroit is not the place for him to do it.

Don't pay attention to Mindfly. He makes all of these suggestions because he can't stomach it when the Wings aren't dominating. If they won 65 games but won all of them by only one goal, he'd be bitching about how they weren't dominating enough. His life as concerns the Wings really revolves around the fact that he apparently has zero in the way of nerves; he feels he's being robbed when the Wings don't dominate in a fashion that doesn't cause him to feel nervous or disappointed.

Don't pay attention to Mindfly. He makes all of these suggestions because he can't stomach it when the Wings aren't dominating. If they won 65 games but won all of them by only one goal, he'd be bitching about how they weren't dominating enough. His life as concerns the Wings really revolves around the fact that he apparently has zero in the way of nerves; he feels he's being robbed when the Wings don't dominate in a fashion that doesn't cause him to feel nervous or disappointed.

Ouch. :hehe:

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Well, I'm not one to be incredibly familiar with a lot of NHLers around the league, but it's not hard to figure out why this is a pretty absurd idea.

Howard proved his worth this year getting more playing time and it's hard to think he won't at least share time with Osgood/any other goalie years down the road as his career goes on. Slim/none that he will be a backup anymore after this season.

I don't see how Price or Halak are that significantly better than Howard to justify a trade for them.

Haha, don't be too jealous, just know that whatever is said in Lifetime Fitness's Sauna, stays in Lifetime Fitness's Sauna... No Homo.

On a more serious note, I really hope he can stay with the Wing's as he is always my image of the iconic goaltender for the Red Wings (granted I wasn't alive for the 80's), and have yet to meet a more down to earth Professional Athelte (with the possible exception of Yzerman).

And once again you're right, niether Price or Halak have shown enough to be considered enough of an upgrade (or an upgrade in general) to trade away an asset when we have Howard.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Guest mindfly

He looked bad at times because the montreal team and defense is a joke, he would look stellar in detroit.

Edited by mindfly

He looked bad at times because the montreal team and defense is a joke, he would look stellar in detroit.

can you please just admit that you are trying to get a rise out of everyone... there's no way you can possibly even believe this yourself... this is seriously the single most asinine suggestion that has been on this board in a long time...

Guest mindfly

can you please just admit that you are trying to get a rise out of everyone... there's no way you can possibly even believe this yourself... this is seriously the single most asinine suggestion that has been on this board in a long time...

You're just biased because Howard plays in detroit and don't see how "good" he looks playing on this team when he is in fact very average with lots of flaws in his game, he would be a backup at best on other teams.

Edited by mindfly

You're just biased because Howard plays in detroit and don't see how "good" he looks playing on this team when he is in fact very average with lots of flaws in his game, he would be a backup at best on other teams.

irrelevant, because he IS on Detroit and that just further proves my point - we do not need to waste cap space on a "top-tier" goalie (which Price isn't anyway) when we can win and win BIG with an average or above average goalie - keep developing our defense and spend the money there...

Price would be both a waste of cap space and pointless.

Guest mindfly

irrelevant, because he IS on Detroit and that just further proves my point - we do not need to waste cap space on a "top-tier" goalie (which Price isn't anyway) when we can win and win BIG with an average or above average goalie - keep developing our defense and spend the money there...

Price would be both a waste of cap space and pointless.

Detroit would be in 1-4 seed had howard just won 4-5 shootouts and avoided the sloppy goals in one goal games...Price is a franchise goaltender who would steal games for detroit, Howard is NOT.

Edited by mindfly

Detroit would be in 1-4 seed had howard just won 4-5 shootouts and avoided the sloppy goals in one goal games...Price is a franchise goaltender who would steal games for detroit, Howard is NOT.

yea... that's why he couldn't even keep the starting job in Montreal and why Howard has been in the top 5 in GAA and SV% ALL YEAR... as....... A ROOKIE.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guest mindfly

yea... that's why he couldn't even keep the starting job in Montreal and why Howard has been in the top 5 in GAA and SV% ALL YEAR... as....... A ROOKIE.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

All his salary should go to lids, dats, Z and friend for bailing him out every night.