83 replies to this topic

#21 diehardredwing19

diehardredwing19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:03 AM

Have you even met him?

infact yes i have first time in detroit at in 2008 after the cup win n last time just 2 weeks ago in van after the nux n wings game

#22 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:09 AM

This is suppose to be a poll only bro. There are 4-5 other threads where we can discuss Ozzie.

And this is a forum to express points and opinions. You can do that in whichever thread you want related to the topic at hand as long as you aren't personally attacking somebody and doing it within the forum rules, bro. Including this one.

#23 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:57 AM

And this is a forum to express points and opinions. You can do that in whichever thread you want related to the topic at hand as long as you aren't personally attacking somebody and doing it within the forum rules, bro. Including this one.

My original point was the fact that there are several Osgood related threads. So I didn't want this thread to turn into yet another one. And no you can't discuss and make comments in any thread you want. I have the option to lock out comments and turn the thread into a poll only. But just in case people had any questions I decided to leave it open. I tried to make it clear that this was a poll only. Might wanna lose that attitude though buddy. I was saying bro in a lighthearted way, not a cocky dickhead way. If you wanna keep making this thread an Osgood debate thread I will lock the comment option. I just wanted to see how the numbers broke down in terms of who still wants Ozzie and who doesn't. Simple as that.

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings, 05 April 2010 - 09:58 AM.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#24 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:04 AM

If the right deal comes along AND the feeling is mutual, which it sounds like it could be. Yes move him.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#25 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:05 AM

My original point was the fact that there are several Osgood related threads. So I didn't want this thread to turn into yet another one. And no you can't discuss and make comments in any thread you want. I have the option to lock out comments and turn the thread into a poll only. But just in case people had any questions I decided to leave it open. I tried to make it clear that this was a poll only. Might wanna lose that attitude though buddy. I was saying bro in a lighthearted way, not a cocky dickhead way. If you wanna keep making this thread an Osgood debate thread I will lock the comment option. I just wanted to see how the numbers broke down in terms of who still wants Ozzie and who doesn't. Simple as that.

Then you can tell this to other people as well who made more than 1-liner posts in here and not just single me out. And you edited to specifically say "poll only" pretty much while I was making my post in there. So giving me crap about it is pretty unfair given that we were doing our schticks in this thread more/less at the same time. And I apologize for interpreting it the wrong way, but it's hard to interpret emotions/mood online sometimes.

#26 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:08 AM

Then you can tell this to other people as well who made more than 1-liner posts in here and not just single me out. And you edited to specifically say "poll only" pretty much while I was making my post in there. So giving me crap about it is pretty unfair given that we were doing our schticks in this thread more/less at the same time. And I apologize for interpreting it the wrong way, but it's hard to interpret emotions/mood online sometimes.

No worries. I didn't know that you didn't see the poll only part. And I didn't mean to single you out. You were just the first one to begin to debate the subject. No big deal though. I just didn't want the mods getting annoyed by multiple similar threads.

#27 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:09 AM

No worries. I didn't know that you didn't see the poll only part. And I didn't mean to single you out. You were just the first one to begin to debate the subject. No big deal though. I just didn't want the mods getting annoyed by multiple similar threads.

Cool.

*awkward hommie hug*

:D

#28 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:12 AM

Cool.

*awkward hommie hug*

Right on brotha. :thumbup:

#29 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:36 AM

Only if we can gain solid compensation in a trade. Which I don't see happening.

Posted Image

#30 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:39 AM

infact yes i have first time in detroit at in 2008 after the cup win n last time just 2 weeks ago in van after the nux n wings game

Alright then. At least you met him. If I was your grandparents I would still be hurt that you choose Ozzie over them. lol
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#31 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:49 AM

keep him around to mentor Jimmy, get the 400 wins and not stink too much. they've sent him off before, but i don't think there will be any Haseks coming our way any time soon

Posted Image

#32 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:03 PM

I voted 'no'... but I'm not allowed to say why...

#33 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:09 PM

In short: no.

In long (actually list form):

1. He is on the cap next year regardless unless there is a buyout which ain't happenin.
2. It is possible someone would want a trade for him (veteran backup with 2 cup rings as a starter says hello) but it isn't likely considering his age.
3. Howard has explicitly stated how much Osgood has helped his development, and he will still need it next year if he doesn't want to end up like a Mason or Ellis.
4. Osgood has been dedicated to the Winged Wheel since he got here, and moving Osgood before allowing him to get his 400th win here would be a serious blemish on Detroit's almost perfect reputation of loyalty within the franchise. Players like that.

I voted No, for pretty much all these reasons.

Love him or hate him, the reality is the Wings are paying his salary next year unless he gets traded, which as Doc mentions is unlikely based on his age and his play this season.

So the best possible scenario is Osgood transitions into the backup role and starts playing well for those 15 or 20 games they rest Jimmy.

#34 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:14 PM

I voted No, for pretty much all these reasons.

Love him or hate him, the reality is the Wings are paying his salary next year unless he gets traded, which as Doc mentions is unlikely based on his age and his play this season.

So the best possible scenario is Osgood transitions into the backup role and starts playing well for those 15 or 20 games they rest Jimmy.

Exactly. If this season has shown us anything, it's shown us that letting goalie prospects ripen on the Griffins works 100% of the time. They are 1 for 1... haha.

Seriously though... that would be the best possible scenario.

#35 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:22 PM

Exactly. If this season has shown us anything, it's shown us that letting goalie prospects ripen on the Griffins works 100% of the time. They are 1 for 1... haha.

Joey MacDonald. Drew MacIntyre. Norm Maracle. Kevin Hodson.

Need I continue?

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#36 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

Joey MacDonald. Drew MacIntyre. Norm Maracle. Kevin Hodson.

Need I continue?

Please do.

The point is, another year of seasoning for the kids, assuming Howard and Osgood are a tandem next year, is the best possible scenario in my opinion.

#37 shoe

shoe

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:57 PM

I think it would be very selfish of the organization to let him go.

#38 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:36 PM

That doesn't make any sense.

A better way to put it would be, "it doesn't make any sense for the organization to trade Ozzie because..."

The Red Wings organization will always do what's best for the org. It's impossible to be selfish when you're running a business, because being selfish is pretty much the definition of "good business".

Unless we're running a business in the USSR.

Don't get me wrong, though. I agree with where you were going, just not at all with how you phrased it.

Osgood will stay around because:

1) He's a good backup, and his cap hit is very low for a goalie of his calibre.

2) He's a good mentor for Jimmy.

3) He's one of the best playoff goalies in the NHL.

4) Were he to retire, his cap hit would remain.

5) We wouldn't get much in return for him, and we'd be stuck with Larsson or McCollum in net as a backup.

#39 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

That doesn't make any sense.

A better way to put it would be, "it doesn't make any sense for the organization to trade Ozzie because..."

The Red Wings organization will always do what's best for the org. It's impossible to be selfish when you're running a business, because being selfish is pretty much the definition of "good business".

Unless we're running a business in the USSR.

Don't get me wrong, though. I agree with where you were going, just not at all with how you phrased it.

Osgood will stay around because:

1) He's a good backup, and his cap hit is very low for a goalie of his calibre.

2) He's a good mentor for Jimmy.

3) He's one of the best playoff goalies in the NHL.

4) Were he to retire, his cap hit would remain.

5) We wouldn't get much in return for him, and we'd be stuck with Larsson or McCollum in net as a backup.

I may need some help with #4, but honestly, I think all 5 of those items are just plain WRONG! Hate to rag on a fellow out-of-market fan b/c I know how hard it can be to watch the games sometimes, but he has been one of the worst goalies in the NHL in the past two regular seasons. Yes, he was terrific in last year's playoffs, but it's Howard's job now, and we wouldn't even be close to playoff contention had Osgood played all year. A $1.4 million cap hit for a backup goalie who can't even be trusted to handle the one the games in a back-to-back is NOT a good deal.

On point #3, that has traditionally been true, though I think Osgood in front of a mediocre defense (which is what we've had this year) is not capable of the same level of play we saw in 2008 or even in the '09 Playoffs.

On point #5, just because Osgood leaves (by trade, retirement, whatever), doesn't mean we couldn't find a Ty Conklin-type guy for half the price that could handle like 15-25 games next season. It doesn't have to be either Larsson or McCollum, if the Wings don't believe either of those guys is ready.

#40 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:12 PM

Selfish how? The guy has posted better than a 3.00 GAA or 89% save percentage over the past two seasons. Honestly, if the alternative had been somebody more prominent than Ty Conklin last year, he probably never even gets the chance to play in the '09 Playoffs.

And from a fan's perspective, this thing is only going to get worse and worse with time. Osgood turns 38 in November. If he left after this season (and Howard plays well in the playoffs), there's a good chance much of this will be forgotten and he'll be remembered primarily as the winner of the 1998 and 2008 Cups, and a potential Hall of Fame candidate, based on his overall credentials. If I had the choice, I don't want to see another season where Osgood plays once a month, sucks, and then complains about inconsistent playing time again. I don't want to see this thing turn more sour.