• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

I think detroit should go for carey price now that they obviously gonna roll with Halak and price's tradevalue is far from what it was before... Filppula+pick for Price... GET ER DONE... Price would look like a wall behind the detroit defense and selke-forwards...howard would be a decent backup.

Not a good trade suggestion.

#62 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:20 PM

Not a good trade suggestion.

I don't normally agree with you, but this times a million. If Filppula is to be traded, it better be as a center piece of the return for some PROVEN ELITE talent.

As for Osgood, I have had the opportunity to have several "in-depth" (relative to the average athlete-fan relationship/interaction) conversations with him, and I really think most of his problems are just from his personal life. Not going to post anything specific, since they are just conclusions drawn on things he has said, but I expect that his drop in play has a lot more to do with distractions in his personal life than lack of talent/drive at this point and time.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA, 07 April 2010 - 12:52 PM.

Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#63 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

I'm thinking why not use the spare million's from lidstrom's new contract on a goalie that can steal games and is young and has excellent technique (with better rebound control than howard, can use a goalie stick and has great positioning, all the flaws that howard has he doesn't has)

Have you watched Price at all this year? It's not that Halak is battling with Price for the starting job. They are not even close.

Price's rebounds are not good at all this year. His stick work isn't that great and gets him in to trouble sometimes. His positioning is not to bad but he over commits big time on just about every shot and does not look solid in the crease. He is shaky and bound to improve but Detroit is not the place for him to do it.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#64 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

I don't normally agree with you but this times a million. If Filppula is to be traded, it better be as a center piece of the return for some PROVEN ELITE talent.

Well, I'm not one to be incredibly familiar with a lot of NHLers around the league, but it's not hard to figure out why this is a pretty absurd idea.

Howard proved his worth this year getting more playing time and it's hard to think he won't at least share time with Osgood/any other goalie years down the road as his career goes on. Slim/none that he will be a backup anymore after this season.

I don't see how Price or Halak are that significantly better than Howard to justify a trade for them.

#65 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

Have you watched Price at all this year? It's not that Halak is battling with Price for the starting job. They are not even close.

Price's rebounds are not good at all this year. His stick work isn't that great and gets him in to trouble sometimes. His positioning is not to bad but he over commits big time on just about every shot and does not look solid in the crease. He is shaky and bound to improve but Detroit is not the place for him to do it.

Don't pay attention to Mindfly. He makes all of these suggestions because he can't stomach it when the Wings aren't dominating. If they won 65 games but won all of them by only one goal, he'd be bitching about how they weren't dominating enough. His life as concerns the Wings really revolves around the fact that he apparently has zero in the way of nerves; he feels he's being robbed when the Wings don't dominate in a fashion that doesn't cause him to feel nervous or disappointed.

#66 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:51 PM

Don't pay attention to Mindfly. He makes all of these suggestions because he can't stomach it when the Wings aren't dominating. If they won 65 games but won all of them by only one goal, he'd be bitching about how they weren't dominating enough. His life as concerns the Wings really revolves around the fact that he apparently has zero in the way of nerves; he feels he's being robbed when the Wings don't dominate in a fashion that doesn't cause him to feel nervous or disappointed.

Ouch. :hehe:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#67 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:55 PM

Well, I'm not one to be incredibly familiar with a lot of NHLers around the league, but it's not hard to figure out why this is a pretty absurd idea.

Howard proved his worth this year getting more playing time and it's hard to think he won't at least share time with Osgood/any other goalie years down the road as his career goes on. Slim/none that he will be a backup anymore after this season.

I don't see how Price or Halak are that significantly better than Howard to justify a trade for them.

Haha, don't be too jealous, just know that whatever is said in Lifetime Fitness's Sauna, stays in Lifetime Fitness's Sauna... No Homo.

On a more serious note, I really hope he can stay with the Wing's as he is always my image of the iconic goaltender for the Red Wings (granted I wasn't alive for the 80's), and have yet to meet a more down to earth Professional Athelte (with the possible exception of Yzerman).

And once again you're right, niether Price or Halak have shown enough to be considered enough of an upgrade (or an upgrade in general) to trade away an asset when we have Howard.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA, 06 April 2010 - 09:28 PM.

Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#68 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:06 AM

He looked bad at times because the montreal team and defense is a joke, he would look stellar in detroit.

Edited by mindfly, 07 April 2010 - 05:08 AM.

#69 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:39 AM

#70 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:15 AM

He looked bad at times because the montreal team and defense is a joke, he would look stellar in detroit.

can you please just admit that you are trying to get a rise out of everyone... there's no way you can possibly even believe this yourself... this is seriously the single most asinine suggestion that has been on this board in a long time...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#71 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:43 AM

can you please just admit that you are trying to get a rise out of everyone... there's no way you can possibly even believe this yourself... this is seriously the single most asinine suggestion that has been on this board in a long time...

You're just biased because Howard plays in detroit and don't see how "good" he looks playing on this team when he is in fact very average with lots of flaws in his game, he would be a backup at best on other teams.

Edited by mindfly, 07 April 2010 - 07:43 AM.

#72 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:04 AM

You're just biased because Howard plays in detroit and don't see how "good" he looks playing on this team when he is in fact very average with lots of flaws in his game, he would be a backup at best on other teams.

irrelevant, because he IS on Detroit and that just further proves my point - we do not need to waste cap space on a "top-tier" goalie (which Price isn't anyway) when we can win and win BIG with an average or above average goalie - keep developing our defense and spend the money there...

Price would be both a waste of cap space and pointless.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#73 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:05 AM

irrelevant, because he IS on Detroit and that just further proves my point - we do not need to waste cap space on a "top-tier" goalie (which Price isn't anyway) when we can win and win BIG with an average or above average goalie - keep developing our defense and spend the money there...

Price would be both a waste of cap space and pointless.

Detroit would be in 1-4 seed had howard just won 4-5 shootouts and avoided the sloppy goals in one goal games...Price is a franchise goaltender who would steal games for detroit, Howard is NOT.

Edited by mindfly, 07 April 2010 - 08:06 AM.

#74 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:17 AM

Detroit would be in 1-4 seed had howard just won 4-5 shootouts and avoided the sloppy goals in one goal games...Price is a franchise goaltender who would steal games for detroit, Howard is NOT.

yea... that's why he couldn't even keep the starting job in Montreal and why Howard has been in the top 5 in GAA and SV% ALL YEAR... as....... A ROOKIE.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#75 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:37 AM

yea... that's why he couldn't even keep the starting job in Montreal and why Howard has been in the top 5 in GAA and SV% ALL YEAR... as....... A ROOKIE.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

All his salary should go to lids, dats, Z and friend for bailing him out every night.

#76 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:41 AM

This is opinion, not fact. Saying so-and-so would've happened doesn't make it true.

You're expectations are unrealistic. You are expecting him to give up just one or two goals a game or get 15 shutouts every single game. With how the rules have changed the past few years, getting a GAA under 2.00 for AN ENTIRE YEAR is a helluva feat and might just happen once, twice a year, if at all.

And could Howard stop more in shootouts? Sure. The shooters could also score a little bit more.

And pretty much any goalie from Greg Goldberg of the Mighty Ducks District-5 Team to Martin Brodeur is going to let a bad goal in from time to time.

I still fail to see how Price or Halak would be such a significant upgrade over Howard, who as pointed out above has some of the better stats AS A ROOKIE, where Price and Halak do not. And Price has not proven to be a franchise goalie (nor has Howard).

Be a little bit more realistic.

All his salary should go to lids, dats, Z and friend for bailing him out every night.

That's why Wings players and the like are claiming Howard to be the MVP of the team this year, and why major sports outlets point out that without Howard, the Wings might not be in the playoffs.

You're pretty silly you know that?

#77 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:36 AM

I will laugh at this next year when there is a reasonable chance we'll see the trademark "sophomore slump" with howard :rolleyes:

I really can't see the greatness in howard, i just get sick of the "1 sloppy goal per game" thing with him...

Edited by mindfly, 07 April 2010 - 10:38 AM.

#78 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:44 AM

I will laugh at this next year when there is a reasonable chance we'll see the trademark "sophomore slump" with howard :rolleyes:

I really can't see the greatness in howard, i just get sick of the "1 sloppy goal per game" thing with him...

While that could possibly happen in a sophmore season, but I still fail to see how Price would be so much better than Howard. You're probably not going to convince many people. Sorry.

#79 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:49 AM

And if we scored a few more goals, we wouldn't have gone to shootouts. Price is on his way out of Montreal for a reason.
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#80 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

And if we scored a few more goals, we wouldn't have gone to shootouts. Price is on his way out of Montreal for a reason.

Because the montreal defense sucks he's played very good in alot of games, 35-50saves and still end up losing etc... Price has more raw talent and higher potential and upside than halak, imagine if the hawks got price it would be freaking mad.