• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FunkedUp

Which playoff opponent do you prefer?

Rate this topic

Which playoff opponent do you prefer?  

202 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Kings will finish 5th. They only need 3 points in 3 games to clinch it.

ah they most likely will get 5th then. so that leaves the wings in 6th against the canucks. id probably rather see what the wings can do against the coyotes but PHX/LA play tonight, so i guess im rooting for the coyotes tonight to better the wings' chances of facing them in the play-offs

Guest Lidstromboli

I live in Chicago and I'm so sick of these fans all of a sudden wearing Jerseys and all interested now because they have a winning team this year. It would make my year for us to face the Blackhawks 1st round and, Shut this City up!

you would've hated detroit in the early 90s huh

Guest Trilobite

Kings will finish 5th. They only need 3 points in 3 games to clinch it.

The Ducks f***ed us when they blew it the other night.

Huh? 3 points in 3 games gets them 100 points. We're sitting on 98 with 2 games left. Getting to 100 points doesn't clinch anything.

Wow I can't believe people here are picking Phoenix.

Bryzgalov is not someone I want to mess with in the first round.

Agreed, plus the Phoenix style of game is tough for the wings. Give me Vancouver w/ a spotty Luongo instead.

Fun read. I hope this blog will do write ups for each possible opponent.

Posted on April 8, 2010 by Ryan Weiss

By defeating Nashville last night, the Phoenix Coyotes may have dug their own grave.

Sure, they’ve locked up the fourth seed in the Western Conference, but they also allowed Detroit to tie the Predators for fifth, and the Red Wings have a game in hand with two to play. A matchup with Hockeytown West is still very well in play.

Pro: Phoenix is indeed Hockeytown West

The Detroit Red Wings have fans all over the world (see Herm), and wherever they play they always draw a big following. However, this is never more prevalent than it is in Phoenix, where it is not unusual to see 40 percent of the home crowd wearing a winged wheel. Phoenix is having a terrific season in its’ first year as a league owned property, but even the NHL won’t be able to keep Detroit fans out of the desert. Phoenix will have home ice in name only.

Con: Ilya Bryzgalov is probably the best goaltender in the league

There is a reason why the Coyotes are in the postseason for the first time in 8 years, and Bryzgalov is the biggest reason why. Bryzgalov is in his third season in Phoenix, and put up good numbers even while playing on bad teams the last two years. This season, he’s recorded a career best 42 wins and sports a 2.30 goals against average, which puts him in prime position for a Vezina Trophy run. Detroit has historically had bad luck running into hot goaltenders in the postseason, and Bryzgalov has been hot all season long.

Pro: Phoenix has very little experience in the playoffs

Collectively, the Coyotes have some experience in the postseason, with established veterans Ed Jovanovski and Shane Doan leading the way in that category. However, they have absolutely no playoff experience as a team. Phoenix is entering the postseason for the first time since 2001-2002, when they lost in the first round to the San Jose Sharks. Throw in the fact that there are sure to be numerous Red Wings fans cheering against them in their own arena, and you’ve got yourself one interesting first round matchup.

Con: The Coyotes have had good fortune with the Red Wings this season

We all remember the game. With Detroit leading 4-2 in the waning moments of a game in January, Phoenix scored twice to tie the game, eventually winning in overtime on Shane Doan’s goal. Phoenix went 2-2 on the season against the Red Wings, and they seem to play them well every time the two teams meet.

Pro: True, but the Wings have put most of those troubles behind them

When that game in Phoenix went awry, the Wings were missing Tomas Holmstrom, Johan Franzen, and Andreas Lilja due to injury. Early in the season the Wings had trouble sealing games, which many times led to the bulk of the Wings’ 14 overtime losses this season. Detroit has been able to clamp it down in the last five minutes of the game during their recent string of victories, and is looking much more like the defensive Detroit Red Wings we’ve all come to know.

Con: It may be Hockeytown West, but the Wings are still on the road

Detroit will no doubt garner a big following should they draw the Coyotes in round one, but this is completely new territory even for these veteran Wings. Detroit has not started a postseason on the road since the Bush adminstration. That’s Bush 41.

Verdict

Phoenix, of all the possible opponents, may be the toughest draw for the Wings right off the bat. Detroit has good experience with Vancouver, Chicago, and San Jose in the postseason, but no one has any idea what to expect out of the boys from Phoenix. That said, I don’t see Detroit losing many seven game series with the way they’ve played of late, and this isn’t one of those series.

http://hockeyusa.wordpress.com/2010/04/08/pros-and-cons-phoenix/

Chicago is now eliminated as a playoff opponent. I'm willing to put money on the fact that we will be facing Vancouver is the first round.

Western Conference

Team GP Pts

1. San Jose 81 111

2. Chicago 81 111

3. Vancouver 81 101

4. Phoenix 81 106

5. Detroit 81 100

6. LA 80 98

7. Nashville 81 98

8. Colorado 81 94

Edited by FunkedUp

Huh? 3 points in 3 games gets them 100 points. We're sitting on 98 with 2 games left. Getting to 100 points doesn't clinch anything.

Yeah that was a miss-type :P

Chicago is now eliminated as a playoff opponent. I'm willing to put money on the fact that we will be facing Vancouver is the first round.

Western Conference

Team GP Pts

1. San Jose 81 111

2. Chicago 81 111

3. Vancouver 81 101

4. Phoenix 81 106

5. Detroit 81 100

6. LA 80 98

7. Nashville 81 98

8. Colorado 81 94

I've been saying Vancouver for the last week :P