Probably in that order :D

Posted Image

#22 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:59 PM

I chose Vancouver because their defence makes them nervous.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#23 therock48880

therock48880

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:07 PM

Would you prefer Luongo and the Sedins?
or hungry Sharks with Nabokov or even Chicago, which is a lot better than Phoenix?

Yotes have very little playoff experience, not to mention shorter trips compared to San Jose/Vancouver.

I'd prefer Luongo and the Sedins, personally. The ice in Phoenix will be brutal in a couple weeks and for a puck possession team like Detroit, that could spell doom. Give me Luongo and a good sheet of ice.
Hasek is becoming iconic in my mind

#24 SuperNovaXll

SuperNovaXll

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:11 PM

Hmmm... Ill pick......
ah! A first round bye! Because we are awesome like that. Yup yup! :thumbup:
Long Island Wings Fan since 1991

#25 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:22 PM

Edmonton.

#26 FunkedUp

FunkedUp

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

I don't think I've ever seen LGW split on a playoff opponent like this. Lot's of good arguments for/against each team. It's really a crapshoot at this point, and our opponent has just as much to do with other teams performances as ours. We probably won't know until the last game of the season.

#27 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:45 PM

Winging it in Motown has different results but a lot more votes:

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2010/4/5/1405835/who-would-you-want-to-play-in-the

As of right now:

Who would you rather face in the first round?

644 votes
11% San Jose Sharks (75 votes)
29% Chicago Blackhawks (189 votes)
34% Vancouver Canucks (223 votes)
24% Phoenix Coyotes (157 votes)

You should never pick your poison but it is always good to have an opponent where the travel isn't so bad.

#28 Yzerman191

Yzerman191

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:38 AM

My vote is for Chicago. The travel would be as minimal as we can hope for all playoffs, and they play a style of hockey that seems to work to our benefit. Rather than a hard-hitting style, which I think takes its toll on a team that has played more hockey than anyone else in the last three years, they play a fast-paced puck possession style similar to our own, but I think we're better at it. They've got questions in net and on the powerplay, as well as a coach that we generally get the best of. I also think it'd be a fun series to watch, win or lose, and would add a spark to an already blooming rivalry.

People keep picking Phoenix and I don't understand why. They're probably the last of the four teams I'd want to play right now. They've got a rock-solid goaltender and literally the best team defense in the west (lowest in goals against). They're the underdog in any given series and have absolutely nothing to lose no matter who they're up against. There's no pressure to succeed; even if they're swept in four games they've still greatly exceeded expectations for this season. A team like that terrifies me.

Realistically, looking at the standings, I think we're least likely to face Phoenix anyways. We'll likely end up with the Sharks or Vancouver, but probably Vancouver.

#29 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:30 AM

Chicago..... they are hurting on defense and goaltending. Campbell will be out for first round only. My first thoughts are always TRAVEL!

Because Wings don't have home ice advantage it is possible to fly THREE times to West coast if the first round goes 7 games..... that would kill the Wings for later rounds!
Defense and goaltending win championships!!!

#30 FunkedUp

FunkedUp

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:25 AM

Teams are so close that its difficult to say who they would be better off playing. You got to pick your poison, and travel is a huge part of that, Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said last week. I always vote for the shortest trip.

Is this a sneaky way of Babcock saying that he wants Chicago, or is this him saying that he doesn't care?

#31 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:41 AM

In the grand scheme of things, doesn't matter to me because the Wings have shown they are capable of beating anybody on a consistent basis if they play as close to a 60-minute game as possible.

Selfishly, Chicago because I'll be going up there around the 3rd weekend of April/this month. :P

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 06 April 2010 - 06:41 AM.

#32 Lovin Jiri Fischer

Lovin Jiri Fischer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:08 AM

Now that I think about it, if Campbell is only out for a couple more weeks, we might as well get Chicago now instead of later when he's back to take advantage of it. But it's most likely that we get Vancouver so I doubt it.

And plus there's a really cute boy in one of my classes that wears a Blackhawks hat every other day so this way I have an excuse to talk to him.

Edited by Lovin Jiri Fischer, 06 April 2010 - 08:36 AM.

#33 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:23 AM

Bring on the canuks, hey I hear Zetterberg wipes his ass with the copy of Kesslers new contract :blink:
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#34 Wings17

Wings17

Jr. Prospect

• 29 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:47 AM

I live in Chicago and I'm so sick of these fans all of a sudden wearing Jerseys and all interested now because they have a winning team this year. It would make my year for us to face the Blackhawks 1st round and, Shut this City up!

#35 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:53 AM

I agree from a strategic sense that Chicago would be the best first round matchup. Hope somebody takes out Vancouver in the 1st Round in what would be a brutal series and hope we can take out Chicago with the benefit of a non-physical team and short travel.

That way we'd get a team out of the way that would only get better as the playoffs went on and they gained confidence and still be relatively healthy and rested for the grind.

But I'm not picking them, I don't pick poison. That's just from a strategic viewpoint.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#36 FunkedUp

FunkedUp

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:44 AM

The 8 western conference playoff teams are set and nearly all the seedings are toss ups. Though, I'd say 3. Vancouver and 4. Phoneix are locks. Anyone particularly excited for any potential rounds? A Wings/Chicago matchup is going to be great...I know it will happen at some point. As for the east, I'm hoping Philly and Pit end up meeting again. Maybe Hartnell will bite Crosby.

#37 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:55 AM

I think we all just need to take a moment to acknowledge that the Ducks won't be in the playoffs. :D

Oh how we'll miss watching Perry act like a little *****, or constantly having to hear about Niedermayer's smooooooooth skating. Not to mention watching Getzlaf decide to show up and score at will with 3 Wings players al over him. <_<

#38 sharkfan20

sharkfan20

Rookie

• Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:04 PM

How Am I not suprised, most of you wants the Sharks. Everyone wants the Sharks.

And about the playoff experience, we have lots of playoff experience. Most of our guys has played in the playoffs.

Boyle- Stanley Cup

Blake- Stanley Cup

Nabokov, Marleau- Conference finals( been in the playoffs since 2000 every year execpt for 1 or 2 years.

Thornton- Playoffs basically every year, thats where he got his nick name- the tin man

Clowe- been in the playoffs since 2004

Wallin- Stanley Cup

Heatley- Stanley Cup finals with the sens

Huskins- Stanley Cup with Anaheim

And if we get Detroit in the first round, we are destined to never win the Stanley Cup with this group.
]"Some of the guys have got to become man- Nabokov"

Sharks in 2010?!

#39 deetroit dario

deetroit dario

i ride on two wheels, and they both have wings!

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

i'm too busy watching the leastern conference, and wondering who we get in the finals!!

go wings!!!!
RAISE #16 TO THE RAFTERS!!!

i think, therefore i'm rare.

#40 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:14 AM

Would you prefer Luongo and the Sedins?
or hungry Sharks with Nabokov or even Chicago, which is a lot better than Phoenix?

Yotes have very little playoff experience, not to mention shorter trips compared to San Jose/Vancouver.

Yes actually, I would prefer the Canucks in the first round. Chances are we will see them in the 2nd if not the first and that seems more dangerous. They are cold streaking right now and we are hot. We can take them down quick before they have a chance to regain their mojo.

If we see them in the 2nd, they will be full of round one winning confidence and thats when they are really tough.

Taking this theory one step further, I would want to face the gest teams first, Chidago or Vancouver. Get either one of them right away before they have a chance to gain playoff confidence. Then hope that someone knocks off whichever one we don't play.