• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
zettie85

Is Phaneuf overrated?

Rate this topic

Now that he's playing in Toronto and I see a lot of hockey from the leafs in my area, he is FOR SURE overrated. He isn't the player he came into the league as. He has the occasional big hit, doesn't fight anymore and just doesn't have his swagger he once did.

In Calgary he used to be a guy that could play and play well, take your head off with a hit or punch it off. He just doesn't do any of that really anymore.

Honestly, I've never considered him overrated because apart from his Norris-nomination in 08, I haven't seen anyone rate him very high.

Perhaps Toronto, but this is the same media that ran Larry Murphy out of town and overrates all of their players. I wouldn't think of them as a source of information more than a band of bumbling idiots trying to pimp their sorry franchise.

Honestly, I've never considered him overrated because apart from his Norris-nomination in 08, I haven't seen anyone rate him very high.

Perhaps Toronto, but this is the same media that ran Larry Murphy out of town and overrates all of their players. I wouldn't think of them as a source of information more than a band of bumbling idiots trying to pimp their sorry franchise.

I had to live with Calgary media for the last 5 years. His rookie year was good but he's been a bust ever since. Unless of course you talk to Flames fans and listen to Pierre Maguire or watch CBC.

A hated player was voted 'overrated' by his peers... wow... thats amazazing! :rolleyes:

Pronger and Avery not labeled overrated. They aren't. They are hated though, way more than Phaneuf.

Guest Lidstromboli

seems like most players are overrated by fans of the team. not too surprising

I had to live with Calgary media for the last 5 years. His rookie year was good but he's been a bust ever since. Unless of course you talk to Flames fans and listen to Pierre Maguire or watch CBC.

Pronger and Avery not labeled overrated. They aren't. They are hated though, way more than Phaneuf.

Uhhhh... didn't Avery make the list?

Lets see... Phaneuf went from one s***ty Canadian team (Calgary) to another s***ty Canadian team (the Leafs). Players are affected by their surroundings. Phaneuf would be a beast on the Wings.

Lets see... Phaneuf went from one s***ty Canadian team (Calgary) to another s***ty Canadian team (the Leafs). Players are affected by their surroundings. Phaneuf would be a beast on the Wings.

Ya. Only 5 percent but I have never heard of Sean Avery rated as an allstar. Nobody hates Wade Redden or Scott Gomez.

With his style he should have flourished in Calgary's system. Now that he is on Burkes team he is expected to do the same but so far he hasn't. He is indeed overpaid and overrated.

Guest Crymson

It's really too bad for Calgary that they had to endure both Phaneuf and Bouwmeester go totally downhill in performance.

Phaneuf, for whatever reason, has over the last two seasons (this one included) become lazy and generally careless. He no longer plays with the same intensity and he no longer produces. To boot, he's a locker room cancer. How does this translate into him doing differently on any other team?

Edited by Crymson

Bingo!

Doc I can always count on you, other than 08 I have only heard people questioning his abilities, he is a decent 3-4 d-man, A Brad Stuart if you will, excels with great partners, decent offense and solid d.

I would probably take Stuart over Phanuef right now, only because I am kind of partial to Stuart and I think he compliments so many Red Wings D-men that he just fits here too well to replace.

Not that anyone was suggesting a trade I just made the comparison.

Guest Shoreline

I can see why peers would think Phaneuf is overrated, however, a player poll if someone is overrated is not really proof they are, especially when they vote for Sidney Crosby. I've followed the guy since he was in juniors, his game in the last few seasons has dropped off a bit, not exactly sure why, but he is still a top 2 defenseman, has a hell of a shot, is a great passer (especially first/outlet pass) and is always a threat to knock someone's head off. The kind of chip on his shoulder and game he has is, in fact, something the Wings could use.

It's really too bad for Calgary that they had to endure both Phaneuf and Bouwmeester go totally downhill in performance.

Phaneuf, for whatever reason, has over the last two seasons (this one included) become lazy and generally careless. He no longer plays with the same intensity and he no longer produces. To boot, he's a locker room cancer. How does this translate into him doing differently on any other team?

Whatever reason? :blink:

Elisha-Cuthbert-1164173-small.jpg

There's your reason wise guy. :cool:

Edited by GMRwings1983

I can see why peers would think Phaneuf is overrated, however, a player poll if someone is overrated is not really proof they are, especially when they vote for Sidney Crosby. I've followed the guy since he was in juniors, his game in the last few seasons has dropped off a bit, not exactly sure why, but he is still a top 2 defenseman, has a hell of a shot, is a great passer (especially first/outlet pass) and is always a threat to knock someone's head off. The kind of chip on his shoulder and game he has is, in fact, something the Wings could use.

As others have mentioned, I always look at it from the perspetive of how someone is rated. I think you can be the best player in the world and still be overrated.

If you are the future of the franchise and then you are traded away for 3rd liners because your ego has ripped apart a dressing room and you can't even lead by example on the ice yet still get credit as an allstar by the media because of random blips of decent play, you might be overrated.

If you are the future of the franchise and then you are traded away for 3rd liners because your ego has ripped apart a dressing room and you can't even lead by example on the ice yet still get credit as an allstar by the media because of random blips of decent play, you might be overrated.

So he's a loser for life because he ripped apart a weak locker room? That's silly.

If he was that bad in the locker room, then that is more a symptom of a weak locker room.

As Shoreline and I mentioned, he has a lot of tools and a mean streak when properly motivated. All it will take is the right situation or organization. Calgary and Toronto offer neither, imo.

Edited by Broken 16