• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
zettie85

Is Phaneuf overrated?

Rate this topic

So he's a loser for life because he ripped apart a weak locker room? That's silly.

If he was that bad in the locker room, then that is more a symptom of a weak locker room.

No, he's not a loser for life but he is one right now. He needs to get his s*** together and play like he was supposed too. It's not exactly a weak locker room when the only person who actually likes you is the coach. I'm sure it wasn't that bad but still you don't need that s*** when you are trying to play hockey.

No, he's not a loser for life but he is one right now. He needs to get his s*** together and play like he was supposed too. It's not exactly a weak locker room when the only person who actually likes you is the coach. I'm sure it wasn't that bad but still you don't need that s*** when you are trying to play hockey.

Hockey is not a sport where players can just 'be great' whenever they feel like it. There are a ton of factors (team mates, coaches, expectations, pressure, etc, etc,...). Sure some dudes can be great no matter what. You know who they are.

Like I said, I blame the Calgary locker room for most of that crap. The locker room is obviously s***... look where they are right now. I'm sure Phaneuf made his fair share of mistakes, but I would welcome him with open arms to the Wings.

I'm not surprised that Phaneuf is on there but I am surprised by some other choices. To me guys like Redden, Gomez and Horcoff are more over paid by idiot GMs than overrated.

I think Phil Kessel is more overrated considering what Toronto gave up to get him. Some might disagree but I think Evgeni Nabokov has got to be the most overrated goalie in the league and consistently gets a pass because he plays for San Jose.

I'm not surprised that Phaneuf is on there but I am surprised by some other choices. To me guys like Redden, Gomez and Horcoff are more over paid by idiot GMs than overrated.

I think Phil Kessel is more overrated considering what Toronto gave up to get him. Some might disagree but I think Evgeni Nabokov has got to be the most overrated goalie in the league and consistently gets a pass because he plays for San Jose.

I watch a lot of Toronto and I wouldnt say Kessel is overrated. He has nothing to work with at all really except Bozak recently and still night in and night out is consistently getting scoring chances. Kessel really looks like the best player out there regardless of who they are playing.

I would say Redden is overrated though.

Hockey is not a sport where players can just 'be great' whenever they feel like it. There are a ton of factors (team mates, coaches, expectations, pressure, etc, etc,...). Sure some dudes can be great no matter what. You know who they are.

Like I said, I blame the Calgary locker room for most of that crap. The locker room is obviously s***... look where they are right now. I'm sure Phaneuf made his fair share of mistakes, but I would welcome him with open arms to the Wings.

I honestly think i can say you are 1 of few. Maybe I'm wrong but I think it would only hurt our team.

I watch a lot of Toronto and I wouldnt say Kessel is overrated. He has nothing to work with at all really except Bozak recently and still night in and night out is consistently getting scoring chances. Kessel really looks like the best player out there regardless of who they are playing.

I would say Redden is overrated though.

They did give up a lot though.

From Toronto Star :

Since he arrived in town, the speculation has been that Dion Phaneuf would be the Maple Leafs’ next captain and coach Ron Wilson, essentially, said that would indeed be the case during an interview Tuesday on a Toronto radio station.

“We would have to make a mega-deal to bring the greatest captain of all time in order to not name Dion the captain,” Wilson told radio station Fan 590.

The top five most overrated players in the League at each position:

Forwards:

Scott Gomez

Thomas Vanek

Sean Avery

Rick Nash

Corey Perry

Defensemen:

Sheldon Souray

Mike Green

Ed Jovanovski

Dion Phaneuf

Barret Jackman

Goaltenders:

Roberto Luongo

M.A. Fleury

Jonathan Quick

J.S. Giguere

Cam Ward

Don't know how Horcoff and Redden made that top-five overall list. Horcoff is a good second line center playing on a first line, possibly a bottom-tier first line center, and that's exactly what people think of him. Redden was a solid top-end two-way defenseman, and still has those kinds of skills but for some reason is only playing at the level of a 2nd/3rd defenseman. Still, if Nick were to retire and he were a UFA this coming summer, I wouldn't mind picking him up if he'd take $4m or less. However, he's signed through 2014 at a $6.5m hit. Now if the Rangers were to buy him out...that would be ideal; they would pay him basically $2m per season to go away, and the Wings could sign him at a much lower number than he makes now.