• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

And The Messier Award Nominees for 2009-10 are..

Rate this topic

NHL Leadership Award  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jamie "Longassname" Langenbrunner - NJ Devils

Niklas "Halloffamer" Lidstrom - Detroit Red Wings

Ryan "Makesalottasaves" Miller - Buffalo Sabres

Ovie Won Kenovie - Washington Capitals

Mike "Ironman" Richards - Philadelphia Flyers

the award has been handed out since 06-07 and mark messier picked the winner himself. THIS year for the first time fans can vote on NHL.COM and the winner will be announced at the NHL awards in June.

who do you think is going to get it?

I would pick Lidstrom.

Edited by ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

Guest mindfly

"The Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award presented by Bridgestone has been awarded since 2006-07 and is presented "to the player who exemplifies great leadership qualities to his team, on and off the ice during the regular season."

LIDS

Edited by mindfly

Guest mindfly

Pretty sure it's a leadership award.

In terms of leading by example... should be Lids, hands down.

yeah i googled it and found it out :)

Guest Lidstromboli

being a leader, doing positive stuff in the community, charity etc

I voted for Lidstrom the get the Yzerman leadership award.

If we're being honest though, the fact that Lidstrom currently has ~81% of the vote suggests that this poll may be just slightly biased, being on a Red Wings board.

Jamie Langenbrunner: This is the only person I can see beating out Lidstrom. Langenbrunner was the captain of team USA and is the captain for a good Devil's team and has been very well this season for the Devils.

Niklas Lidstrom: Not much to say for this man. Captain of the Red Wings and still putting up great numbers and demonstrates leadership in everything he does.

Ryan Miller: As much as I love Miller time, I don't think this award should go to a goalie, mainly due to the fact that don't have a lot of leadership abilities on the ice during game play because of the rules.

OV: Ummmm, no. Great player, but no.

Mike Richards: Great leaders don't get drawn into a verbal shouting match with the media for the duration of a season because they hurt his feelings. Great player, but not a better leader than JL or NL.

Niklas Lidstrom: Not much to say for this man. Captain of the Red Wings and still putting up great numbers and demonstrates leadership in everything he does.

Come on, man...

What is it for? Leadership? So why isn't every captain an option?

It's also about work in the community. I know Nick does a lot with hockey schools. It just doesn't get much publicity.

Wait... fan voting? Ovechkin has it locked up.

Lidstrom easily deserves it among those nominees.

yeah..i dont quite get this. lids definately should be top nod. but its fan voting. so people could just vote for whomever. and the vast majority of people out there like ovie so...its kind of not a very fair way of deciding it. if anything it should just be the nhl leadership award. and not affiliated with messier whatsoever. since hes not going to be picking the winner.

What is it for? Leadership? So why isn't every captain an option?

Alexei Yashin was a captain once.

yeah..i dont quite get this. lids definately should be top nod. but its fan voting. so people could just vote for whomever. and the vast majority of people out there like ovie so...its kind of not a very fair way of deciding it. if anything it should just be the nhl leadership award. and not affiliated with messier whatsoever. since hes not going to be picking the winner.

Are you sure he has no say in it? I thought for some reason that he did.

Where's the guy who's initials are SC? :P

If I had to vote I'd pick Lidstrom, because I'm biased.

Honestly, I don't think there are any captains now like we had in the previous era, with Yzerman, Messier, Stevens, Bourque, Sakic and Francis.

Since those guys have retired, it's left the door open for lots of young captains in the NHL.

Where's the guy who's initials are SC? :P

If I had to vote I'd pick Lidstrom, because I'm biased.

Honestly, I don't think there are any captains now like we had in the previous era, with Yzerman, Messier, Stevens, Bourque, Sakic and Francis.

Since those guys have retired, it's left the door open for lots of young captains in the NHL.

Definitely. That was a great era for hockey.

Is the way Lidstrom handled his captaincy really that much different then the way Stevie did?

Alexei Yashin was a captain once.

Are you sure he has no say in it? I thought for some reason that he did.

yeah he does...

from nhl.com

From now through April 11, NHL.com visitors can vote among five candidates in the final reader poll and attempt to sway Messier's decision on who will be the finalists for the 2009-10 Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award presented by Bridgestone.

either way he will pick the winner. its an interestin way to get the fans involved..

Is the way Lidstrom handled his captaincy really that much different then the way Stevie did?

No but it's more about the era. He is still a member of the old guard. Same with Iginla.

Guest Lidstromboli

they haven't been around long enough for people to romanticize their careers

Yzerman has more longevity as captain than him, as does every other player I listed.

Of course that's because they played on the same team, but still, Lidstrom will not go down as one of the greatest leaders in hockey history.

HEY! I just realised that Sidney Crosby = SC and Stanley Cup = SC.

Coincidence?

:ph34r:

That explains everything!

Just like Damian, he was the chosen one at birth. I bet if you shave Crosby's head, SC will be tattooed on it.

Edited by GMRwings1983