• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

And The Messier Award Nominees for 2009-10 are..

Rate this topic

NHL Leadership Award  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yzerman has more longevity as captain than him, as does every other player I listed.

Of course that's because they played on the same team, but still, Lidstrom will not go down as one of the greatest leaders in hockey history.

I bet Stevie would disagree.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Sad... the goaltender is leading the leadership award. This isn't a who played well in the Olympics poll...

Because he's too humble.

Do you think Lidstrom is in the same class of leadership as any of the guys I listed?

Yzerman, Messier, Stevens, Bourque, Sakic and Francis.

I really don't see why not. Enlighten me on your impression of a great leader.

Yzerman, Messier, Stevens, Bourque, Sakic and Francis.

I really don't see why not. Enlighten me on your impression of a great leader.

Well, longevity is important when it comes to how people look at all time great leaders.

Lidstrom when he retires will likely be a captain for 5 total years in his career. That's not much compared to those other players. Maybe if Lidstrom became captain at a younger age and stayed there, he would be considered in that class. I'm not saying he's not a great leader, I'm just saying that when discussions arise amongst all-time great captains, who will mention Lidstrom? I don't think anyone will.

The personality isn't really important like some people think. Sakic and Francis were quiet guys, who were well respected as captains. But the longevity is important if you want to mention him amongst those other names.

Well, longevity is important when it comes to how people look at all time great leaders.

Lidstrom when he retires will likely be a captain for 5 total years in his career. That's not much compared to those other players. Maybe if Lidstrom became captain at a younger age and stayed there, he would be considered in that class. I'm not saying he's not a great leader, I'm just saying that when discussions arise amongst all-time great captains, who will mention Lidstrom? I don't think anyone will.

The personality isn't really important like some people think. Sakic and Francis were quiet guys, who were well respected as captains. But the longevity is important if you want to mention him amongst those other names.

I guess I see what you mean if you have to go by official captain but that's kind of a bulls*** technicality to me. If you want to talk about great leaders then Lidstrom has to be in the mix.

yeah he does...

from nhl.com

From now through April 11, NHL.com visitors can vote among five candidates in the final reader poll and attempt to sway Messier's decision on who will be the finalists for the 2009-10 Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award presented by Bridgestone.

either way he will pick the winner. its an interestin way to get the fans involved..

Lol, I can't stand Messier nowadays... so we have an award like American Idol now? Sweet.

I guess I see what you mean if you have to go by official captain but that's kind of a bulls*** technicality to me. If you want to talk about great leaders then Lidstrom has to be in the mix.

Oh, I'll agree with you that Lidstrom played a very important role in the leadership of this team; well beyond his few years as Captain... but we'll just be those old guys grumbling to ourselves over a pint one of these days - there just won't be any arguments for it at some point, when it is not fresh in peoples' minds.

Guest CaliWingsNut

So by your theory, Lidstrom could never achieve great leadership experience because he was an assistant captain to Yzerman?

In other words, he would have had to play for a different team to win this award?

So by your theory, Lidstrom could never achieve great leadership experience because he was an assistant captain to Yzerman?

In other words, he would have had to play for a different team to win this award?

What? :unsure:

I was talking about all-time great captains. I don't think Lidstrom will go down on that list. Good leader but not one of the all-time great leaders.

This current poll was about current captains and is completely different than what I was referring to.

So when will the league have an award for the best defensive defenseman?

Why?

That would be an insult to guys that are great on both ends of the ice, which is usually who wins this.

For instance, Lidstrom was the best defensive defenseman in all the years that he won the Norris. It would have been pointless to give him an award for best defensive defenseman also, and insulting if someone else got it.

It's basically a make believe award for non-talented defenseman who are only good in their own zone. For years I've jokingly called it the Adam Foote or Scott Stevens award. To me it's a bad idea.

I like the current system of giving it to the best all-around D-man. That's why someone like Mike Green has no business winning this trophy imo.

So when will the league have an award for the best defensive defenseman?

Not soon enough. I think it's a disgrace to give the Norris to a guy because he puts up points.

Norris should be the best defencemen. They should make another for guys like Green.

Not soon enough. I think it's a disgrace to give the Norris to a guy because he puts up points.

Norris should be the best defencemen. They should make another for guys like Green.

When was the last time a guy like Green won the trophy? Paul Coffey?

Like I said, it should go to the best all-around defenseman, which is what it has been in the past and which is why Green didn't win it last year.

When was the last time a guy like Green won the trophy? Paul Coffey?

Like I said, it should go to the best all-around defenseman, which is what it has been in the past and which is why Green didn't win it last year.

The point is Green has no business being a finalist for it.

The point is Green has no business being a finalist for it.

I actually think that his plus/minus, which is a misleading stat because of the team he plays on, will give him the trophy this season.

I also don't think he should win it, but what can you do?

I actually think that his plus/minus, which is a misleading stat because of the team he plays on, will give him the trophy this season.

I also don't think he should win it, but what can you do?

Nothing. The NHL can create the 4th forward award though.