• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Most Original Six Teams Played For

Rate this topic

I was wondering if any player in history has played for all of the original 6 teams?

I thought about this a little, and the most I could think of was Mathieu Schneider, who played with four original 6 teams.

It wouldn't be a surprise if it's never happened before, but I was just wondering?

It would of course have to be within the last 25 years or so, because free agency and trades weren't as big in the early days of hockey as they are now.

Vic Lynn is the only one.

Aaron Downey played for 4 as well.

Wow, I never even heard of Vic Lynn.

I just looked him up and he played in the 40's, so I guess I was wrong about it only possibly happening within the last 25 years.

Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

I also just looked up Downey, and apparently he only played 1 game for the Boston Bruins, which is why I can't remember seeing him in a Bruins uniform.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

yup vic lynn from 42-54

bronco horvath played for 5 of them (except detroit)

Leroy Goldsworthy playing for 5 as well

Here is a short list of 5/6 guys that I found on HFBoards. Haven't looked them up to see if they actually did though.

Leroy "Goldy" Goldsworthy

Bronco "Bones" Horvath

Harry "Apple Cheeks" Lumley

Norman "Bud" Poile

Gaye "Box Car" Stewart

Lumley did I for sure.

Edited by zettie85

Here is a short list of 5/6 guys that I found on HFBoards. Haven't looked them up to see if they actually did though.

Bronco "Bones" Horvath

Norman "Bud" Poile

Gaye "Box Car" Stewart

Lumley did I for sure.

All older players.

I wonder why it was so, because I always figured there was less free agency and trades back then, which is what I posted in my OP.

Thinking about it now, it was more common for guys to walk off the streets back then to join a team for a tryout. That must be it. You don't see teams doing that kind of thing nowadays very often.

After some research:

Vic Lynn played for all six from 1942 to 1954.

Bronco Horvath played for five original six teams (everyone except Detroit) as well as for Minnesota. He played for Detroit in an exhibition game but never had playing time during the regular season. He may have dressed.

A pre-original sixer, Leroy Goldsworthy was a five teamer playing for NYR, Detroit, Chicago, Montreal and Boston as well as for the New York Americans.

Reggie Flemming (Montreal, Chicago, Boston, Rangers), Pete Babando (Boston, Detroit, Chicago and Rangers), John Brenneman (Chicago, NYR, Toronto and Detroit), Dave Creighton (Boston, Toronto, Chicago and NYR), Ian Cushenan (Chicago, Monteal, NYR, Detroit), Lorne Davis (Montreal, Chicago, Detroit, Boston), Ab DeMarco Sr. (Chicago, Toronto, Boston and NYR), Cal Gardner (NYR, Toronto, Chicago, Boston), Howie Glover (Chicago, Detroit, NYR, Montreal).

Edited by CanadaBoy

All older players.

I wonder why it was so, because I always figured there was less free agency and trades back then, which is what I posted in my OP.

Thinking about it now, it was more common for guys to walk off the streets back then to join a team for a tryout. That must be it. You don't see teams doing that kind of thing nowadays very often.

Less options as well. If they tell you to go you go.

There was also no other teams to play for but the 6. If you were getting moved and staying in the NHL you were only going to one of the other 5 in the league.

Bronco "Bones" Horvath

Norman "Bud" Poile

Gaye "Box Car" Stewart

Lumley did I for sure.

Hockey players or made-men? I love the old nicknames.

Now that's a name!

That's nothing.

There used to be an NHL player named Harry Dick. :lol: Seriously.

In any case, thanks to all those who contributed to the thread, because I feel like I actually learned something and I was curious to know about this. That doesn't happen often around here.

All older players.

Weren't there less teams back then? It would make it more likely to have been traded to an O6 team when there were less non-O6 teams.

That's the only thing I can think of. Regardless, it's pretty damn cool to play for all of them!

Well, it was a 1 in 720 chance that a player traded every summer during a 6 year while all O6 teams were around would have played for them.

By contrast, it's a 1 in 427,518,000 chance that it happens now to a player who plays six years now and is traded each summer during a six year career.

Well, it was a 1 in 720 chance that a player traded every summer during a 6 year while all O6 teams were around would have played for them.

By contrast, it's a 1 in 427,518,000 chance that it happens now to a player who plays six years now and is traded each summer during a six year career.

much as i like your posts....you scare me sometimes=)