• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

Pierre LeBrun thinks it's either DET or VAN from the West

Rate this topic

here's the link

Well, well ... doesn't that chart open up some eyes? The veteran Red Wings, hockey's model franchise over the past two decades, are at it again. The best record since the Olympics, the fourth-best record overall in the second half. Tough to ignore the Winged Wheel, eh?

Don't say I didn't warn you puckheads about Detroit's rise. It was pretty much a universal belief around the league that once the Wings finally put an injury-riddled first half behind them, they'd be primed for a run. Well, that's exactly what happened, and the Wings are very much ready for another spring run thanks to excellent goaltending from Jimmy Howard.

Right now, my money is on either Detroit or Vancouver to make the Cup finals out of the West. Of course, if the playoffs started Monday, the Canucks and Wings would face off in the first round in the No. 3 versus No. 6 matchup. That would knock off a red-hot team in a hurry.

POINTS SINCE OLYMPIC BREAK

TEAM GP RECORD PTS PTS %

Detroit 18 13-3-2 28 .778

Washington 16 10-2-4 24 .750

Phoenix 16 11-4-1 23 .719

Nashville 19 13-5-1 27 .710

Montreal 16 10-4-2 22 .687

Vancouver 18 11-5-2 24 .667

Pittsburgh 16 9-4-3 21 .656

Toronto 18 10-5-3 23 .639

St. Louis 16 10-6-0 20 .625

N.Y. Rangers 16 8-5-3 19 .594

Calgary 17 10-7-0 20 .588

New Jersey 17 8-5-4 20 .588

Buffalo 18 10-7-1 21 .583

Carolina 18 9-6-3 21 .583

Anaheim 16 8-6-2 18 .563

N.Y. Islanders 16 8-6-2 18 .563

Columbus 16 7-6-3 17 .531

Chicago 17 8-7-2 18 .529

San Jose 17 8-7-2 18 .529

Boston 18 9-8-1 19 .528

Atlanta 19 8-8-3 19 .500

Los Angeles 17 7-7-3 17 .500

Minnesota 18 7-8-3 17 .472

Florida 17 7-8-2 16 .470

Ottawa 16 7-8-1 15 .469

Philadelphia 19 7-9-3 17 .447

Dallas 18 7-9-2 16 .444

Colorado 17 7-9-1 15 .441

Edmonton 17 5-10-2 12 .352

Tampa Bay 17 5-11-1 11 .324

ESPN thinks that the Wings will come out of the West? Well, there goes the Wings chances for any playoff success this year. Barry Melrose and crew are supposed to doubt the Wings and then the Wings prove them wrong. That's how the dynamic goes. :ph34r:

Guest mindfly

Injuries on their D and questionable goaltending.

Oh you think Campbell is that important, he's back to the 2nd round last time i heard...

What?

From March until the end of the season they went 12-2-1 that year.

Right. Konnan511 must have got 2008 mixed up with 2002. Simple mistake considering we've won so many times :cool:

Fact.

Bears. Beats. Battlestar Galactica.

Trying to multitask opening day, listening to my girl tell some pointless story about her friend and how she talks behind peoples back or something about shoes, haven't been paying attention long enough, but I'm sure it's about one of those two, and trying to cook dinner. My posts today have all been jacked up and i appreciate tit2 for pointing them all out haha.

The results since the olympic break make me think it would be nice to face either the Hawks or the Sharks. This is the last 17 games so their record is definitively relevant.

Unfortunately i can see us facing either the Nucks or the Yotes, two of the hottest teams in the league..

Why are you guys forgetting about Chicago?

Chicago is slumping since the Olympic Break. If they make it past round 1, they're one of the strongest, but if they get stopped early they won't get injuries back.

Washington vs. Vancouver is my theoretical Cup final, with Washington winning out. Problem with Vancouver right now is that they haven't been strong since the Olympic break either. There's weak points to each team in the West right now, but Detroit has looked best in the past month so who knows. It's a tough call.

If Detroit isn't in the cup finals, it will be Chicago, unfortunately ... As much as we want to write off the Hawks, they are still one of the best teams in the league... The only team that can stop Chicago is Detroit IMHO.... And the only way I can see the East winning the cup is if the west beats each other up too bad

If Detroit isn't in the cup finals, it will be Chicago, unfortunately ... As much as we want to write off the Hawks, they are still one of the best teams in the league... The only team that can stop Chicago is Detroit IMHO.... And the only way I can see the East winning the cup is if the west beats each other up too bad

capitals, penguins... no?

I know I know!!! But the Tigers are facing Zach "Cy Young" Greinke.

True, but the last inning they had 1st and 2nd and no one out, and only got one run!.. Sizemore just lead off the 7th with a walk, hopefully they can add a few more here.

Edit: There we go! The Tigs have put up a 4-spot in the 7th, and still only one out! 6-4 Tigers :thumbup:

Edited by Barrie

True, but the last inning they had 1st and 2nd and no one out, and only got one run!.. Sizemore just lead off the 7th with a walk, hopefully they can add a few more here.

Edit: There we go! The Tigs have put up a 4-spot in the 7th, and still only one out! 6-4 Tigers :thumbup:

Make that a six spot. 8-4 Tigers!

Back on point. I don't see Vancouver making it that far. They are above average everywhere. Sharks don't worry me at all and I think goaltending and over confidence will be the hawks' downfall. All other team in the West are irrelevant IMHO.

I really wanted to disagree with the conventional wisdom and come up with some unique reasons for picking different teams, but I just don't see anyone other than Vancouver, Detroit and Washington making the finals. The East is so weak that barring some collossal upset by a lucky team, no one will beat Washington. If they lose it's a crap shoot as each other team could beat any other team because they're all at the same level.

In the West it's up for grabs, but I don't see the Sharks breaking their bad karma and I don't think Chicago really has that grit to dig down deep and gun for the Cup, especially against a more experienced Wings team with similar talent or an all around solid Vancouver squad.

As for Phoenix, they won't go far, they just aren't deep enough. And as for the rest....meh.

I don't know if other people agree, or have noticed, but I've watched Ovechkin's last half dozen games, and he really stands around a lot waiting for things to happen. I mean, he doesn't back-check very hard, and he's always seems to be just floating around waiting for a one-timer. He hasn't been playing well lately, he looks a bit "lost".