• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Shanahan to be new NHL disciplinarian?

Rate this topic

Rumors the last few days have it that Brendan Shanahan, who only joined the NHL front office months ago, will be named over the summer to replace Colin Campbell as the league’s chief disciplinarian. Good guy, Campbell, but his failure to toss the book at Mssrs. Mike Richards and Matt Cooke for their recklessness was an insult to the victims (David Booth and Marc Savard) and damaged the game’s integrity . .

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/articles/2010/04/04/this_is_no_hollywood_ending/?page=full

Rumors the last few days have it that Brendan Shanahan, who only joined the NHL front office months ago, will be named over the summer to replace Colin Campbell as the league’s chief disciplinarian. Good guy, Campbell, but his failure to toss the book at Mssrs. Mike Richards and Matt Cooke for their recklessness was an insult to the victims (David Booth and Marc Savard) and damaged the game’s integrity . .

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/articles/2010/04/04/this_is_no_hollywood_ending/?page=full

I think im missing something...who is Mssrs?

That's a job where he will always be the bad guy and won't be able to make anyone happy. If he's up for it then more power to him.

Yep, it's a thankless job. I really wouldn't want Shanny to take that job, I'd hate to see him get bashed like Campbell for something that he cannot do.

That job better pay.

Would definitely suck to hear everyone bitching about Shanahan constantly (though there's no conceivable way he could be worse than Campbell).

Oh please, he's done fine.

Campbell has been fine, the only one that i didn't agree with at all was the Wisniewski one since it wasn't as bad of a cheapshot as Gonchar on Clutterbuck, sometimes he is pressured into it, and sometimes he's only off by a little bit, it is a hard job when tsn is stirring s*** up and telling fans to whine at cry at any cheapshot

Edited by jollymania

CALLED IT - http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63856&st=20&p=1923635&hl=dryden&fromsearch=1entry1923635

ok... maybe death is too far, but if the only option is death for him or more Bettman, which would you choose?

If I had it my way, they would make Dryden the commissioner, keep Campbell as one deputy commissioner overseeing game operations, then split the duties and make Shanahan another deputy commissioner in charge of discipline and finally, bring on Paul Tagliabue as an outside consultant from a business/operations standpoint...

That would be a well run league and I guarantee some drastic improvements in the game/league.

Now to just get Dryden in as commissioner and we're good to go...

Edited by stevkrause

It's a thankless job, but a disciplinarian could ride out his tenure just fine if he was CONSISTENT. It's better to be yelled at for being too harsh or too light than to be made fun of and yelled at for being ridiculously inconsistent like Campbell was.

Campbell was a joke. I just hope Shanahan, if he takes the job, is consistent so that the sport can get some legitimacy back.

It's a thankless job, but a disciplinarian could ride out his tenure just fine if he was CONSISTENT. It's better to be yelled at for being too harsh or too light than to be made fun of and yelled at for being ridiculously inconsistent like Campbell was.

Campbell was a joke. I just hope Shanahan, if he takes the job, is consistent so that the sport can get some legitimacy back.

agreed... everyone may not agree with every punishment handed down/not handed down, it's the inconsistency that is so hard to handle and makes it look like such a second class league...