• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mwagner468

Igor or Pavel

Rate this topic

Nope - and it's a travesty. Makarov is easily the best player *not* in the Hall of Fame right now... he better get in this year.

Krutov is not in either, largely because he did by far the least of the 3 in the NHL (thanks to a fondness of American fast food).

Igor also has a huge edge on Pavel in playoffs and tournament play.

Is Mikhailov in the HOF?

Just wondering.

No. That I know of.

Very unusual, since he was the center of the top line for a long time.

Kharlamov was a special player, but why is he in the HOF but Mikhailov isn't? For a while there, he was considered by many to be the best center on the planet.

I'm guessing Kharlamov got in because he's more known in Canada due to scaring the pants off of Canadians in that Summit Series. Eventually prompted s***bag Clark to slash his leg. Mikhailov was a great player, but not as flashy as Kharlamov (maybe no one was back then).

Edited by GMRwings1983

Ya. He definitely stands out because of the awe factor he had in that series. Most of that team could be in the Hall of Fame if they were able to play in the NHL.

Bobby did what had to be done.

Fetisov, Larionov, Tretiak and Kharlamov are the only great pre-NHL guys in (I believe).

There are plenty who are deserving... but I think the committee (almost all old north-american dudes) still harbors a lot of resentment from the cold war days.

Fetisov, Larionov, Tretiak and Kharlamov are the only great pre-NHL guys in (I believe).

There are plenty who are deserving... but I think the committee (almost all old north-american dudes) still harbors a lot of resentment from the cold war days.

Two words should affect their thinking.

Bernie Federko. :ph34r:

Ya. He definitely stands out because of the awe factor he had in that series. Most of that team could be in the Hall of Fame if they were able to play in the NHL.

Bobby did what had to be done.

It depends on your point of view regarding the purpose of the hockey game.

If it is to determine which team is better at hockey then what Clark did is unsportsmanlike at the very least.

On the other hand if the purpose is to win at any cost then yeah, he did good.

I think in North America "win at any cost" point of view is very prevalent.

It depends on your point of view regarding the purpose of the hockey game.

If it is to determine which team is better at hockey then what Clark did is unsportsmanlike at the very least.

On the other hand if the purpose is to win at any cost then yeah, he did good.

I think in North America "win at any cost" point of view is very prevalent.

He did what he had to do because we went into that series thinking it would be a cake walk. Completely underestimating was the worst thing that they could have done, and they did it.

If Canada loses that series it is devastating to Canadian hockey. Kharlamov was owning the Canadians and he had to be dealt with to save face.

He did what he had to do because we went into that series thinking it would be a cake walk. Completely underestimating was the worst thing that they could have done, and they did it.

If Canada loses that series it is devastating to Canadian hockey. Kharlamov was owning the Canadians and he had to be dealt with to save face.

Yes, I understand the reasons. It is just unfortunate that at times sport crosses into realm of politics.

Edited by Pskov Wings Fan

By that rationale, I guess Maltby should've crushed Giguere's larynx in '03 since he owned the Wings in that series.

Ridiculous.

If I was Canadian, Clarke's actions would have appalled me... even at the time.

Sweet, my team has to maliciously break the ankle of the other teams' best player in order to win. Go Team!

That series meant a heck of a lot more than just hockey, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking Clarke prevented a nuclear winter, there.

Edited by egroen

If I was Canadian, Clarke's actions would have appalled me... even at the time.

Sweet, my team has to maliciously break the ankle of other teams' best player in order to win. Go Team!

That series meant a heck of a lot more than just hockey, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking Clarke prevented a nuclear winter, there.

Everyone remembers the slash but no one ever seems to mention that Mikhailov actually kicked Bergman. Slashing happens in every game, does kicking? Kicking is definitely worse.

Clarkes slash was definitely dirty but 1) He was a kid doing what he was told. 2) The game did mean more then any one of us could imagine.

Edited by zettie85

Larionov would be the more logical choice given the success he had not only in the NHL, but on the International level as well. However, I think its not truly a fair comparison because Dats was not part of a machine in the Red Army teams of the old Soviet Union.

Agreed. It's hard to make an apples to apples comparison. Different eras, and honestly different styles.

But if you're going by careers, Igor takes the cake. The KLM line, and he's won everything championship there is to win in hockey. Three Cups, two Olympic Golds, four Wold Championship golds, Canada Cup gold, and two golds in the world juniors.

honestly it's less about picking one over the other, but it's fun to look back and see what kind of player Igor was before he came to the Wings.

Clarke is a piece of s*** who spent his whole career hiding behind his tough Flyers teammates and occassionally dishing out cheap hits.

His actions were dirty and it actually cheapened Canada's victory in my book. If you have to take out the other team's best player to win, then that doesn't impress me in the least bit. And f*** the coach for telling him also.

Everyone remembers the slash but no one ever seems to mention that Mikhailov actually kicked Bergman. Slashing happens in every game, does kicking? Kicking is definitely worse.

Clarkes slash was definitely dirty but 1) He was a kid doing what he was told. 2) The game did mean more then any one of us could imagine.

That incident happened after the slash.

I will grant that Ferguson is actually a bigger piece of s*** than Clarke.

Both should have been banned from international play.

Life would have gone on if Canada had lost.... just as it did when Canada lost the '74 Summit Series.

Edited by egroen

That incident happened after the slash.

I will grant that Ferguson is actually a bigger piece of s*** than Clarke.

Both should have been banned from international play.

So that makes it ok???

I agree with the Ferguson part.

"It scared the hell out of me that I would have killed them to win. That scared me."

Phil Esposito

Which is an attempt to dismiss or justify what Clarke did. That somehow what Mikhailov did was worse. But Clarke was ordered to injure Mikhailov and followed through. That's so much worse.

Clarke was a dirty player through and through. What's really sad is his comments since the incident. Still trying to downplay and justify his dirty act. As if taking out the oppositions best player for Game 7 didn't have an impact. The guy's a jackass.

Here's Clarke in a friendly game against Czechoslovakia shortly after the game where he broke Mikhailov's ankle.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

So that makes it ok???

I agree with the Ferguson part.

No, but Canada clearly spring-boarded that Series into a violent one. First one to do it takes most of the blame in my book.

No, but Canada clearly spring-boarded that Series into a violent one. First one to do it takes most of the blame in my book.

That may be the most notable event but the violence was happening earlier than that. The Soviets were extremely chippy and they were diving all over the place. Along with that they had the German ref in their pocket.

The slash didn't start anything. That s*** was going on before he did it. It wasn't right but it wasn't the turning point either.

That may be the most notable event but the violence was happening earlier than that. The Soviets were extremely chippy and they were diving all over the place. Along with that they had the German ref in their pocket.

The slash didn't start anything. That s*** was going on before he did it. It wasn't right but it wasn't the turning point either.

Canada played similar against Sweden, who publicly stated Canada was playing "criminal" hockey.

I've watched most of that Series - and Canada played on the edge, crossing over it many times.

Taking out the other team's best player Tonya Harding style is definitely going to incite a new level.

Canada played similar against Sweden, who publicly stated Canada was playing "criminal" hockey.

I've watched most of that Series - and Canada played on the edge, crossing over it many times.

Taking out the other team's best player Tonya Harding style is definitely going to incite a new level.

I'm not defending Clarke but both sides are to blame for the increase in violence. Sweden as well was part to blame for what happened in Stockholm as well. It's never one sided.

I'm not defending Clarke but both sides are to blame for the increase in violence. Sweden as well was part to blame for what happened in Stockholm as well. It's never one sided.

USA never had to resort to that kind of play to defeat Russia in 1980 :P

(I kid, one game is a heck of a lot different than a series)