• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:26 PM

Everyone remembers the slash but no one ever seems to mention that Mikhailov actually kicked Bergman. Slashing happens in every game, does kicking? Kicking is definitely worse.

Clarkes slash was definitely dirty but 1) He was a kid doing what he was told. 2) The game did mean more then any one of us could imagine.

That incident happened after the slash.
I will grant that Ferguson is actually a bigger piece of s*** than Clarke.
Both should have been banned from international play.

Life would have gone on if Canada had lost.... just as it did when Canada lost the '74 Summit Series.

Edited by egroen, 06 April 2010 - 02:29 PM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#42 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:32 PM

That incident happened after the slash.
I will grant that Ferguson is actually a bigger piece of s*** than Clarke.
Both should have been banned from international play.

So that makes it ok???

I agree with the Ferguson part.

"It scared the hell out of me that I would have killed them to win. That scared me."
Phil Esposito
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#43 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

Everyone remembers the slash but no one ever seems to mention that Mikhailov actually kicked Bergman. Slashing happens in every game, does kicking? Kicking is definitely worse.

Clarkes slash was definitely dirty but 1) He was a kid doing what he was told. 2) The game did mean more then any one of us could imagine.

Which is an attempt to dismiss or justify what Clarke did. That somehow what Mikhailov did was worse. But Clarke was ordered to injure Mikhailov and followed through. That's so much worse.

Clarke was a dirty player through and through. What's really sad is his comments since the incident. Still trying to downplay and justify his dirty act. As if taking out the oppositions best player for Game 7 didn't have an impact. The guy's a jackass.

Here's Clarke in a friendly game against Czechoslovakia shortly after the game where he broke Mikhailov's ankle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2bHJj7avd4&feature=player_embedded

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 06 April 2010 - 02:36 PM.

#44 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:35 PM

So that makes it ok???

I agree with the Ferguson part.

No, but Canada clearly spring-boarded that Series into a violent one. First one to do it takes most of the blame in my book.

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#45 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:53 PM

No, but Canada clearly spring-boarded that Series into a violent one. First one to do it takes most of the blame in my book.

That may be the most notable event but the violence was happening earlier than that. The Soviets were extremely chippy and they were diving all over the place. Along with that they had the German ref in their pocket.

The slash didn't start anything. That s*** was going on before he did it. It wasn't right but it wasn't the turning point either.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#46 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:07 PM

That may be the most notable event but the violence was happening earlier than that. The Soviets were extremely chippy and they were diving all over the place. Along with that they had the German ref in their pocket.

The slash didn't start anything. That s*** was going on before he did it. It wasn't right but it wasn't the turning point either.

Canada played similar against Sweden, who publicly stated Canada was playing "criminal" hockey.
I've watched most of that Series - and Canada played on the edge, crossing over it many times.

Taking out the other team's best player Tonya Harding style is definitely going to incite a new level.

#47 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:24 PM

Canada played similar against Sweden, who publicly stated Canada was playing "criminal" hockey.
I've watched most of that Series - and Canada played on the edge, crossing over it many times.

Taking out the other team's best player Tonya Harding style is definitely going to incite a new level.

I'm not defending Clarke but both sides are to blame for the increase in violence. Sweden as well was part to blame for what happened in Stockholm as well. It's never one sided.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#48 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:36 PM

I'm not defending Clarke but both sides are to blame for the increase in violence. Sweden as well was part to blame for what happened in Stockholm as well. It's never one sided.

USA never had to resort to that kind of play to defeat Russia in 1980 :P

(I kid, one game is a heck of a lot different than a series)

#49 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:10 PM

Carman?

:lol: Carman is becoming a punchline on this message board.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#50 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:15 PM

Oh to answer the question... I was old enough to see Larionov in his prime, but don't remember him before his Red Wings days, but Larionov was considered the "Russian Gretzky".
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#51 REDWINGSFTW

REDWINGSFTW

Rookie

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:29 PM

Datsyuk would have gotten pumelled with the new NHL rules to, and crosby is built better for the old NHL then pavel you guys way overexaggerate crosby as a *****, he can take contact but a certain point it bothers him.

#52 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:33 PM

Datsyuk would have gotten pumelled with the new NHL rules to, and crosby is built better for the old NHL then pavel you guys way overexaggerate crosby as a *****, he can take contact but a certain point it bothers him.

Yea at the start of his career, but he is much better now at taking contact. Plus he rarley gets touched with those magical hands.

Edited by Hossa4Life, 06 April 2010 - 04:34 PM.

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image

#53 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

Datsyuk dishes out more contact then he receives. He is feisty little Russian with magical hands.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#54 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:45 PM

Hey zettie, do you have the 1976 Canada Cup DVD set, the one with the full games? I found it in a Zellers Clearance bin for $20 about a month ago, it's excellent! I'm expecting a similar 1972 set will be out for the anniversary in 2012.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#55 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:59 PM

Hey zettie, do you have the 1976 Canada Cup DVD set, the one with the full games? I found it in a Zellers Clearance bin for $20 about a month ago, it's excellent! I'm expecting a similar 1972 set will be out for the anniversary in 2012.

I don't have the 76 Canada Cup but I would be interested in picking. I do have the 72 Summit Series full games that I got at HMV. All 8 games in full. I don't exactly know when it was released. Maybe in 2002 but I didn't get it until 2006 I think. What i really want is the 87 Canada Cup collection.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#56 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:07 PM

I don't have the 76 Canada Cup but I would be interested in picking. I do have the 72 Summit Series full games that I got at HMV. All 8 games in full. I don't exactly know when it was released. Maybe in 2002 but I didn't get it until 2006 I think. What i really want is the 87 Canada Cup collection.

Oh wow, the 72 series is already out on DVD?! Where have I been :lol:? I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

Agreed about the 87. I'm sure that's next...
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#57 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

Oh wow, the 72 series is already out on DVD?! Where have I been :lol:? I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

Agreed about the 87. I'm sure that's next...

I really hope so. Who was the distributor of the 76 DVD's?
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#58 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:58 PM

I really hope so. Who was the distributor of the 76 DVD's?

Video Service Corp. www.sportonvideo.com
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons