#1 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:23 PM

Posted Image

Funny pic aside I have a question for everyone:

Who are some other players in the league that have a skill set comparable to Tomas Holmstrom's?

He provides a net-front presence, makes awesome deflections and sometimes has an uncanny ability to anticipate where the puck will go after shots hit off people, which is part of what allows him to retrieve pucks so well.

He doesn't just do those things on the power play but also 5-on-5. Franzen, for example, can play that role on the power play but he's more of a shooter when he plays 5-on-5.

The only comparable names that come to mind are Ryan Smyth and Patric Hornqvist. Ryan Clowe plays the role but I've only seen him do it on the PP. On the Red Wings, Dan Cleary is probably the closest the Wings have to a Holmstrom replacement. But who else is there?

#2 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:51 PM

i'd say franzen plays the holmstrom role pretty good. Brendan Morrow also comes to mind. Dustin Byfuglien you could throw in there too, but homer will always be the master
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#3 swedishseven

swedishseven

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:23 AM

Franzen filled in good when homer was out,you could tell he'd been learning some lessons from him at least

#4 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:24 AM

Posted Image

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#5 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:32 AM

Franzen filled in good when homer was out,you could tell he'd been learning some lessons from him at least

True but he's better as a threat from the slot or basically any shooting position since he has one of the best shots on the team. I'd rather he not be stationary in front of the net.

#6 adubs

adubs

Rookie

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:37 AM

i'd say franzen plays the holmstrom role pretty good. Brendan Morrow also comes to mind. Dustin Byfuglien you could throw in there too, but homer will always be the master

Way to insult Morrow.

#7 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:18 AM

Way to insult Morrow.

What do you mean?

#8 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:47 AM

Vesa Viitakoski.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#9 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:20 AM

Patric Hornqvist out of Nashville supposedly idolized Holmstrom and patterns his game after him.

#10 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:48 AM

Jovo does it pretty good on the Yotes PP
"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#11 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:03 PM

did homer learn to play that style from (going way back) dino ciccarelli? because dino was filling that gap before bowman axed him

#12 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:07 PM

did homer learn to play that style from (going way back) dino ciccarelli? because dino was filling that gap before bowman axed him

Perhaps, but not from playing with him, Dino was gone to Tampa Bay before Homer entered the NHL.

#13 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:33 PM

I hear Jake Ryan plays with a similar style. He has been trying to take Homer's roster spot for awhile.

#14 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:59 PM

I hear Jake Ryan plays with a similar style. He has been trying to take Homer's roster spot for awhile.

:clap:

First two names that come to mind are Smyth and Buttmuffin
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#15 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

in my eyes no one plays like Holmstrom. and i think we all should see that, in terms of what he does and how he does it, no one is his replacement. not cleary, not franzen. Homer is quite special.

#16 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:32 PM

in my eyes no one plays like Holmstrom. and i think we all should see that, in terms of what he does and how he does it, no one is his replacement. not cleary, not franzen. Homer is quite special.

I kind of agree. I was just thinking the other day, "Who can replace Holmstrom?" Nobody. Franzen should only play that role on the power play. Cleary is a warrior who's absolutely willing to take a lot of punishment in front of the net and battle for pucks. Yet, he doesn't draw as much attention from defensemen and isn't as good as Homer when it comes to following the puck.

I hope Lidstrom and Holmstrom never age and thus never have to retire. Both are truly original and one of a kind.

#17 DangleDangleBeach

DangleDangleBeach

BIG PAV DANGLE HARD

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:40 PM

I kind of agree. I was just thinking the other day, "Who can replace Holmstrom?" Nobody. Franzen should only play that role on the power play. Cleary is a warrior who's absolutely willing to take a lot of punishment in front of the net and battle for pucks. Yet, he doesn't draw as much attention from defensemen and isn't as good as Homer when it comes to following the puck.

I hope Lidstrom and Holmstrom never age and thus never have to retire. Both are truly original and one of a kind.

ryan smyth is the next best thing... probably more effective 5 on 5 though.

#18 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:48 PM

ryan smyth is the next best thing... probably more effective 5 on 5 though.

Get it done, Kenny!

Yes I know his contract situation. I can still hope though.

#19 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

Perhaps, but not from playing with him, Dino was gone to Tampa Bay before Homer entered the NHL.

I would say Dino is the master of it more then Homer. Dino got 600 goals playing that style.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#20 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

from an article last fall...
http://blog.mlive.co..._net-front.html

And while Mike Babcock certainly got the Wings back to basics, Detroit's genesis as a team that puts a butt in front of the opposing goaltender hearkens back to the 1992-1993 season, when the Wings acquired Dino Ciccarelli from the Washington Capitals. Scotty Bowman joined the team in 1994, and while Ciccarelli was axed after the Wings lost to the New Jersey Devils, Bowman didn't like the Wings' lack of "net-front presence" (theoretically, anyway, you're not supposed to "crash the crease" anymore) during the 95-96 season, so he put some rookie named Tomas Holmstrom in Ciccarelli's spot on the power play.

Thirteen years, four Stanley Cups, and a new set of front teeth later, Tomas Holmstrom's still doing what he does best, and he's mentoring the Wings' next generation of puck-tipping pairs of goalie-screening hockey pants in Dan Cleary and Johan Franzen.

works every time