• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DetroitYZ19

Where will the Wings play next year?

Rate this topic

I've kind of been out to lunch on this topic, but was it ever determined where the Wings will play next year? Will they extend the lease on the Joe until a new arena is built? I really hope this is the case. GO WINGS!!

it's starting to look more and more like the Palace for at least a couple years... ugh...

I HATE the Joe by this point, it's old, dilapidated and needs to be put to rest, but the Palace is a HORRIBLE place for hockey games (a la Vipers days) and I hate the idea of sharing an arena, it affects the playing surface for both the basketball and hockey teams in a negative way...

it's starting to look more and more like the Palace for at least a couple years... ugh...

I HATE the Joe by this point, it's old, dilapidated and needs to be put to rest, but the Palace is a HORRIBLE place for hockey games (a la Vipers days) and I hate the idea of sharing an arena, it affects the playing surface for both the basketball and hockey teams in a negative way...

I disagree with that point. The Palace is really a GREAT venue and there is no problem with sharing an arena, the majority of the teams do. Do you really think the Joe always has Ice on the floor? They have concerts and wrestling there during the season and they have no problem taking the rink up and down.

The biggest problem, in my opinion, is location. I like the Wings in Detroit but if Ilitch wants to build a state of the art hockey arena downtown and need the wings to play at the Palace for a couple years I don't see it as a big deal. As long as it's not in Ford Field or the Silver Dome were the would put up a curtain as they did with the Pistons back in the day.

But I think we should all get used to the Pistons sharing an arena with the Wings because I have a feeling that, give the economics of it all, they will both end up in Detroit in a new building. Not to mention that it looks like Ilitch holdings may be interested in buying the Pistons.

I say they move to the Wolverines' pond (Crisler Arena). 13,751 attendance, close to Detroit and more likely to sell out due to the fact that it is in a college town where people can buy a ticket and walk to the game.

But the Palace is more likely.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

From an article earlier this year on MLive -

"In a "bottom line" sense, it would simply cost more money, never mind time, energy, and effort, to move the Red Wings to the Palace on a temporary basis than it would to remain at Joe Louis Arena.

The logistical concerns and expenses in abandoning the Joe would include but are not limited to the following:

-Moving the Red Wings' front office, which includes both its hockey operations staff and its ticket sales department, the core of its game night staff, media arm, and merchandising, to an as-yet-unknown home as the Pistons' front office occupies the Palace;

-Forming an temporary ticketing alliance with Palace Sports and Entertainment;

-Eliminating the jobs of its its arena employees while attempting to merge its rink maintenance staff with that of the Palace;

-Dealing with the whole, "Palace sells Domino's Pizza and Pepsi" issue;

-Working with Palace Sports and Entertainment to revamp its in-game entertainment;

-Building a separate locker room and revamping the training and fitness facilities in the Palace so as to share the facility with the Pistons;

-Considering building a separate practice facility as the Palace is booked for concerts and events at least twice as often as Joe Louis Arena--while juggling the fact that said practice facility should be located close enough to wherever the Red Wings' follow-on arena is built so as to make travel easy for the players and coaches;

-Attempting to manage the minefield that is cobbling a schedule together while competing against the Pistons and concerts/etc. after spending the last 30 years in what is essentially a single-use facility;

-Attempting to build and maintain an ice surface that isn't terrible due to the Palace's multi-use facility status;

-Managing the transfer the Red Wings' season-ticket base to a new building with new sightlines and a different configuration, which includes inevitably managing moves and possible losses due to the change in physical and figurative location;

-Dealing with the fact that the suite-holder base might disappear or have to compete with the Pistons' and Palace's suite-holders for space;

-Asking the club's employees, including a coaching staff and players that generally lives in West Side suburbs that are twice as far from the Palace as Joe Louis Arena to drive "across town";

-Considering the potential losses the team could incur in terms of its fan base due to the shift in geographic location;

-Corporately speaking, dealing with the fact that the Red Wings are taking business away from Olympia Entertainment's facilities and padding Palace Sports and Entertainment's bottom line as another jewel in that company's crown;

-Finally, delicately severing ties with the Palace and whoever ends up owning the Pistons whenever the Joe's follow-on rink is eventually built.

Rest of article

I disagree with that point. The Palace is really a GREAT venue and there is no problem with sharing an arena, the majority of the teams do. Do you really think the Joe always has Ice on the floor? They have concerts and wrestling there during the season and they have no problem taking the rink up and down.

The biggest problem, in my opinion, is location. I like the Wings in Detroit but if Ilitch wants to build a state of the art hockey arena downtown and need the wings to play at the Palace for a couple years I don't see it as a big deal. As long as it's not in Ford Field or the Silver Dome were the would put up a curtain as they did with the Pistons back in the day.

But I think we should all get used to the Pistons sharing an arena with the Wings because I have a feeling that, give the economics of it all, they will both end up in Detroit in a new building. Not to mention that it looks like Ilitch holdings may be interested in buying the Pistons.

have you ever been to a hockey game at the Palace? It is not setup for hockey... and, no, the ice isn't ALWAYS there at the Joe and the floor isn't always there at the Palace, but the tear down/set-up is much less frequent than 2 sports that run during the SAME season and have FREQUENT games... much different toll on the surface(s)...

Edited by stevkrause

I say they move to the Wolverines' pond (Crisler Arena). 13,751 attendance, close to Detroit and more likely to sell out due to the fact that it is in a college town where people can buy a ticket and walk to the game.

But the Palace is more likely.

1. Michigan plays at Yost Ice Arena, capacity 6,603. Crisler is the basketball arena and is an atrocious venue.

2. The Palace would be awful. Moving the Wings out of Detroit would be awful.

3. The Joe is a great building. It has character, which few of the new buildings have. It needs work, absolutely, but if they must build a new rink (instead of completing major renovations at the Joe) then at least sink some cash into making the Joe a solid temporary home until the new rink is available. The amount of money and effort required to relocate the team (including the administrative functions of the team) to the Palace is not worth it.

I asked my season ticket rep if they were going to move too the Palace and he said there's no way they'll be moving there next year. They haven't done anything they would need to do to move yet and it would take more then a couple months in the summer to do. He said from what they have been hearing look for a new 3 year lease on the Joe and a new two team arena to be built in Detroit

I asked my season ticket rep if they were going to move too the Palace and he said there's no way they'll be moving there next year. They haven't done anything they would need to do to move yet and it would take more then a couple months in the summer to do. He said from what they have been hearing look for a new 3 year lease on the Joe and a new two team arena to be built in Detroit

I hope you're right about the lease on the Joe, but the thought of sharing an arena is nauseating. We need a hockey-only venue. This is Hockeytown. I don't want to see any stupid basketball murals/banners/merchandise when I go to a Wings game. If there has to be a new arena, it needs to be a gem and a shrine to hockey in Detroit. I'm in favor of a modern Olympia. Something with character.

I hope you're right about the lease on the Joe, but the thought of sharing an arena is nauseating. We need a hockey-only venue. This is Hockeytown. I don't want to see any stupid basketball murals/banners/merchandise when I go to a Wings game. If there has to be a new arena, it needs to be a gem and a shrine to hockey in Detroit. I'm in favor of a modern Olympia. Something with character.

Almost every city that has both has a shared arena its dumb business not too. I feel the same way about it but there's not much you can do. Hell if the Leafs an original six team can share so can we

Almost every city that has both has a shared arena its dumb business not too. I feel the same way about it but there's not much you can do. Hell if the Leafs an original six team can share so can we

The Wings and Habs are the only Original Six teams NOT to share an arena (and Montreal lacks an NBA counterpart), but there's no need for the Pistons to move. This should be a Wings-only venture and if we want to lay claim to being "Hockeytown" then we should be able to build an arena that is befitting of that title. Something that is to hockey what Camden Yards was to baseball in the early 90s.

I haven't heard anything official, somebody here in Northern Michigan is reporting on the radio that this could be the last regular season game at the Joe, but it seems they would have announced that by now if a move was imminent. I wish they would make up their mind so their wasn't much speculation.

The Palace's sightline for hockey would be fine. It is built with a 200x85 foot floor if you look at a seating chart, so its not like America West Arena was when the Coyotes moved and one end couldn't see the goal beneath them. Upper bowl seating would be farther away however. I don't think the Palace would make a bad hockey venue itself, but it just isn't the Wings and it isn't downtown, so it just wouldn't feel right. I don't think there would be any actual hockey viewing issues whatsoever.

3d Interactive Palace Map

New Olympia Stadium

Edited by schulzte

I'm going to believe that they'll stay at the Joe. Like someone else noted their ticket rep told them, it takes a lot to move and they haven't started. Especially with a (hopefully) long playoff run there's no way they can do it.

A new thought just occurred to me. If they share with the Pistons that means there will be Pistons memorabilia and crap all over, ruining the pure hockey experience. An arena should be a temple to the Wings alone.

The whole post below still pertains to the opposite happening in the future, unless Illitch buys the Pistons, which he's said he has no interest in and that he doesn't even like Basketball.

From an article earlier this year on MLive -

"In a "bottom line" sense, it would simply cost more money, never mind time, energy, and effort, to move the Red Wings to the Palace on a temporary basis than it would to remain at Joe Louis Arena.

The logistical concerns and expenses in abandoning the Joe would include but are not limited to the following:

-Moving the Red Wings' front office, which includes both its hockey operations staff and its ticket sales department, the core of its game night staff, media arm, and merchandising, to an as-yet-unknown home as the Pistons' front office occupies the Palace;

-Forming an temporary ticketing alliance with Palace Sports and Entertainment;

-Eliminating the jobs of its its arena employees while attempting to merge its rink maintenance staff with that of the Palace;

-Dealing with the whole, "Palace sells Domino's Pizza and Pepsi" issue;

-Working with Palace Sports and Entertainment to revamp its in-game entertainment;

-Building a separate locker room and revamping the training and fitness facilities in the Palace so as to share the facility with the Pistons;

-Considering building a separate practice facility as the Palace is booked for concerts and events at least twice as often as Joe Louis Arena--while juggling the fact that said practice facility should be located close enough to wherever the Red Wings' follow-on arena is built so as to make travel easy for the players and coaches;

-Attempting to manage the minefield that is cobbling a schedule together while competing against the Pistons and concerts/etc. after spending the last 30 years in what is essentially a single-use facility;

-Attempting to build and maintain an ice surface that isn't terrible due to the Palace's multi-use facility status;

-Managing the transfer the Red Wings' season-ticket base to a new building with new sightlines and a different configuration, which includes inevitably managing moves and possible losses due to the change in physical and figurative location;

-Dealing with the fact that the suite-holder base might disappear or have to compete with the Pistons' and Palace's suite-holders for space;

-Asking the club's employees, including a coaching staff and players that generally lives in West Side suburbs that are twice as far from the Palace as Joe Louis Arena to drive "across town";

-Considering the potential losses the team could incur in terms of its fan base due to the shift in geographic location;

-Corporately speaking, dealing with the fact that the Red Wings are taking business away from Olympia Entertainment's facilities and padding Palace Sports and Entertainment's bottom line as another jewel in that company's crown;

-Finally, delicately severing ties with the Palace and whoever ends up owning the Pistons whenever the Joe's follow-on rink is eventually built.

Rest of article

As much as I'd hate to see the Red Wings sharing a new arena with the Pistons - it's almost a necessity nowadays with the economy.

I like the new Olympia idea :thumbup:

God I hope they dont move to the palace for any game, let alone two years! As much as we will wish the Ilitch's do this Olympia idea, its all about money and being NEW. I know this new Olympia seats more has better views and has the suites, but really how much of of Old Tiger Stadium did he incorporate into Comerica? Now, just liek the Old Red barn, Tiger Stadium is just a vacant lot. (f&cking city!) Anyhow, Ilitch wants a arena that seats more than the Joe, he wants the midlevel and upper level suites (much like the Palace) and in this day and age of selling names, Olympia is pretty much out of the question. Look for (now that the arena in SLC is not named it anymore and with it being the largest airline in the world with a huge presence in our area) Delta Centre. Notice the "RE" instead or "ER" giving the arena a Canadian flare honoring the history of Hockey. Of course this is just a suggestion and not set in stone, but there will be a corporate name on there in one way or another.

Solution, "rent" the Joe for two more years until the Delta Centre is built. I do wish he would build a stadium/arena like the New Olympia style,I am a huge nostalgic person and would love to see the city make historical a lot of the old hotels and theatre's and other buildings in the city and invest in rebuildng them instead of making more vacant lots. Building a NEW Olympia would do wonders for the city. Pleaes Mr. Ilitch, no Cookie Cutter Arena, PLEASE!

Edited by LeftWinger