• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DetroitYZ19

Where will the Wings play next year?

Rate this topic

God I hope they dont move to the palace for any game, let alone two years! As much as we will wish the Ilitch's do this Olympia idea, its all about money and being NEW. I know this new Olympia seats more has better views and has the suites, but really how much of of Old Tiger Stadium did he incorporate into Comerica? Now, just liek the Old Red barn, Tiger Stadium is just a vacant lot. (f&cking city!) Anyhow, Ilitch wants a arena that seats more than the Joe, he wants the midlevel and upper level suites (much like the Palace) and in this day and age of selling names, Olympia is pretty much out of the question. Look for (now that the arena in SLC is not named it anymore and with it being the largest airline in the world with a huge presence in our area) Delta Centre. Notice the "RE" instead or "ER" giving the arena a Canadian flare honoring the history of Hockey. Of course this is just a suggestion and not set in stone, but there will be a corporate name on there in one way or another.

Solution, "rent" the Joe for two more years until the Delta Centre is built. I do wish he would build a stadium/arena like the New Olympia style,I am a huge nostalgic person and would love to see the city make historical a lot of the old hotels and theatre's and other buildings in the city and invest in rebuildng them instead of making more vacant lots. Building a NEW Olympia would do wonders for the city. Pleaes Mr. Ilitch, no Cookie Cutter Arena, PLEASE!

I'm glad you like the New Olympia concept, and I hope it gets some traction in the public and among the fans. I agree that there is a better chance of a comet hitting Joe Louis Arena than a new arena being named Olympia Stadium. This doesn't bother me that much however. If a corporation wants to contribute $100 million over 20 years for a new arena, thats money taxpayers aren't spending and puts the Red Wings that much closer to a new building. I'm more interested in the building itself that the name. As long as it isn't named after a nuclear waste disposal company, like Salt Lake City's arena is now. I draw the line at nuclear waste disposal, and maybe toothpaste. I don't want the Red Wings new arena to be named the "Aquafresh Centre" or "Listerene Arena". Actually now that I think about it, "Colgate Centre" or "Crest Centre" might not be too bad compared to some new names.

New Olympia Stadium

Put them into Ford field for 2 years, and lets see if the Wings can fill it up and maybe some of thier carma can off on to the Lions :P

HELLLLLLLLL NO. Not that the Lions don't need it but the fact that it could backfire and the Lions luck would go to the Red Wings is just a very scary thought

HELLLLLLLLL NO. Not that the Lions don't need it but the fact that it could backfire and the Lions luck would go to the Red Wings is just a very scary thought

THIS has already been proven! Do you all recall the 2006 World Series? Tigers just steamrolled teh Yankees, swept the A's and then as it got cooler decided to hold their practices in Ford Feild, and well, we all know what happened when they face St. Louis! For Pete's sake, Jeff frickin Weaver even beat them that series and he was possibly the worst Tiger pitcher EVER before they faced him! NO THANKS TO FORD FIELD!!!! I pity any home team that plays in there!

Today on Red Wings live, Mickey York made a comment saying how history could be made during tonights game since this could be the last regular season game the wings ever play at the Joe. Mickey then said there would be more on that story later in the show, but they never got to it.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Are the wings planning to move away from the JLA?