• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bigEredwing

Lidstrom

Rate this topic

Guest Lidstromboli
Kronwall will step it up (I honestly think he'll be the next Scott Stevens)

:lol:

I love Nick, but haven't we heard this before?

"If we lose Fedorov, we're screwed"

"If we lose Bowman, we're screwed"

"If we lose Yzerman, we're screwed"

Nick is one of the greatest defenseman of all time, but we'll survive without him. It won't be easy at first, but we'll be fine. Kronwall will step it up (I honestly think he'll be the next Scott Stevens), we still have Raffy, Ericsson is just having a sophomore slump and I'm sure we'll get someone through FA over the next couple years. Lids will be missed A LOT, but its not the end of the world. As long as the Wings continue to play this system and fill the roster with smart two way players, we'll be successful.

The person who was still there during all those departures was Nick. Detroit didn't win until after they aquired Nick (not implying he's the sole reason why)

Edited by Dave

I too have the simple gut feeling Nick will be back for one more year. It'd be cool if he was around for one more season and retire with the handfull of others who have been around this franchise for a while with him. There's always the possibility he retires gracefully (of course he will irregardless, that's just how Nick was/is/will be) at this season's end, and I surely hope it doesn't happen.

As for what the team looks like post-Lidstrom... well hopefully better than it usually does on the rare occasion he's not on the bench. I really believe there is not another defenseman out there that's approaching a drop-in replacement simply because of the style of game he has always played. There might be someone nearly as effective, but it will take some getting used to and not just for us the fans. It will be a test of the true resolve of the organization.

To say the least, it's going to be odd. And to top it off, I'm not sure that he's going to be around in such high profile as Stevie Y is. I'm sure there's a spot for him in the organization (if he wants), but let's face fact that Lidstrom despite all his achievements has never really been a flashy guy in any sense. And because of that, well for example think of how many trophies he had to win before he became a 'household name' amongst the common out-of-market hockey fan. I guess what I'm getting at is that I feel that the legend that is Nick Lidstrom will fade far too quickly from the minds of the hockey community.

I too have the simple gut feeling Nick will be back for one more year. It'd be cool if he was around for one more season and retire with the handfull of others who have been around this franchise for a while with him. There's always the possibility he retires gracefully (of course he will irregardless, that's just how Nick was/is/will be) at this season's end, and I surely hope it doesn't happen.

As for what the team looks like post-Lidstrom... well hopefully better than it usually does on the rare occasion he's not on the bench. I really believe there is not another defenseman out there that's approaching a drop-in replacement simply because of the style of game he has always played. There might be someone nearly as effective, but it will take some getting used to and not just for us the fans. It will be a test of the true resolve of the organization.

To say the least, it's going to be odd. And to top it off, I'm not sure that he's going to be around in such high profile as Stevie Y is. I'm sure there's a spot for him in the organization (if he wants), but let's face fact that Lidstrom despite all his achievements has never really been a flashy guy in any sense. And because of that, well for example think of how many trophies he had to win before he became a 'household name' amongst the common out-of-market hockey fan. I guess what I'm getting at is that I feel that the legend that is Nick Lidstrom will fade far too quickly from the minds of the hockey community.

Bring him back to coach the D

This team will be totally f***ed.

My thoughts as well. Think Steve and then multiply it by a few thousand. I don't think we're going to go 0-82 without him, but if people think the troubles we had this season were frustrating.....they haven't seen anything yet.

You could tell the bad pass Nick made Wednesday night really bothered him on the inside. I thought it was interesting how he said, "Drapes stopped," maybe as if he wanted to blame Draper a little bit.

I love Nick, but haven't we heard this before?

"If we lose Fedorov, we're screwed"

"If we lose Bowman, we're screwed"

"If we lose Yzerman, we're screwed"

Nick is one of the greatest defenseman of all time, but we'll survive without him. It won't be easy at first, but we'll be fine. Kronwall will step it up (I honestly think he'll be the next Scott Stevens), we still have Raffy, Ericsson is just having a sophomore slump and I'm sure we'll get someone through FA over the next couple years. Lids will be missed A LOT, but its not the end of the world. As long as the Wings continue to play this system and fill the roster with smart two way players, we'll be successful.

Well I guess I agree in that the Wings' brass will try to remain competitive as much as possible by changing the system to fit the personnel or whatever but losing a top 10 if not top 5 dmen of all time will take a lot of time and adjustment and right now it doesn't seem like it will be all that pretty or enjoyable to watch.

And Kronwall... Really?

My thoughts as well. Think Steve and then multiply it by a few thousand. I don't think we're going to go 0-82 without him, but if people think the troubles we had this season were frustrating.....they haven't seen anything yet.

(insert major, major denial post here)

Guest mjtm77

Its all about passion if he still loves the game he will come back. if he is getting tired of it he wont come back

my say is he hangs em up

You could tell the bad pass Nick made Wednesday night really bothered him on the inside. I thought it was interesting how he said, "Drapes stopped," maybe as if he wanted to blame Draper a little bit.

Well imagine playing perfectly for almost 20 years and suddenly you make a mistake. Gotta be hard to take, he almost had a flawless career but now it's ruined.

Guest mjtm77

You think he's tired of it?

the dude is fourty. on an interview with someone from sportcenter he said he wasn't sure if his passion for the game is the same.

The person who was still there during all those departures was Nick. Detroit didn't win until after they aquired Nick (not implying he's the sole reason why)

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Yzerman

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Osgood

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Vernon

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Konstantinov

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Fedorov

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Murphy

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Shanahan

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Kozlov

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Larionov

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Fetisov

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Bowman

Nick is possibly the greatest defenseman of all-time.

Just sayin you can't basically imply "the Wings had no chance at winning the Cup without Nick" because as good as he has been, it's not true.

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Yzerman

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Osgood

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Vernon

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Konstantinov

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Fedorov

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Murphy

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Shanahan

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Kozlov

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Larionov

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Fetisov

Detroit didn't win until after they acquired Bowman

So what you're basically saying is that it takes a team to the win the Stanley Cup.

Just sayin you can't basically imply "the Wings had no chance at winning the Cup without Nick" because as good as he has been, it's not true.

No, it's true. We don't win those Cups without a franchise defenseman like Lidstrom. No defense-by-committee system can replace Nick's presence on the blueline.

Obviously he's not the only reason we won. But in looking at all 4 Cup wins together, he is without a doubt the most important player we've had.

Edited by AIK'91

Well I guess I agree in that the Wings' brass will try to remain competitive as much as possible by changing the system to fit the personnel or whatever but losing a top 10 if not top 5 dmen of all time will take a lot of time and adjustment and right now it doesn't seem like it will be all that pretty or enjoyable to watch.

And Kronwall... Really?

(insert major, major denial post here)

It's OK to say it: He IS the best D-man of all time.

I wouldn't go that far. He's good but Orr is still the best.

That debate comes down to how much you value dominance over longevity.

Personally I'd rank Lidstrom over him purely on his ability to sustain a dominate performance for his whole career. But really I can't argue against Orr at all, the guy was just amazing.

OK Lidstrom is awsome but you cannot compare him to Orr at all, Orr was on another level, lets not forget the NHL was alot tougher back then with alot more cheap shots and Orr payed the price because of them with a short career. Look at what Orr accomplished in his short career imagine what it would be if he played a 18yr career like Lidstrom. Lidstrom will go down as one of the best D of all time no doubt about that.

OK Lidstrom is awsome but you cannot compare him to Orr at all, Orr was on another level, lets not forget the NHL was alot tougher back then with alot more cheap shots and Orr payed the price because of them with a short career. Look at what Orr accomplished in his short career imagine what it would be if he played a 18yr career like Lidstrom. Lidstrom will go down as one of the best D of all time no doubt about that.

Orr being the best of all time is questionable, and here's why:

Orr put up huge offensive numbers, yes. But he was not dominant defensively like Lidstrom is. He was good defensively, but not dominant. He played, to basically say it, like a star offensive forward who was good defensively.

Very few defensemen have EVER been able to put up the kind of offensive performances Orr did, and none of them were as consistently dominant offensively, nor as good defensively. However, Lidstrom has been extremely dominant offensively in his own right, while being one of if not the League's best defensive player over his entire career.

Other defensemen who could make a valid argument towards that position are Raymond Bourque and Doug Harvey. Bourque was a First-team or Second-Team All-Star for seventeen consecutive years from the start of his career. That's an unbelievable achievement. He was incredible offensively, and was very good defensively. Harvey was the dominant defenseman of his era as well, and was also extremely good at both ends. I would have included Brad Park, but he always ended up second to Orr, so it would be hard to argue him as the best ahead of Orr.

But ultimately, we all know it that it really comes down to Orr or Lidstrom.

Orr has a lot of flashy, memorable offensive plays such as the 'Superman' goal where he scores and then basically jumps into the air as he is tripped, but how many times did anyone here see him make amazing defensive plays like we have seen Lidstrom do over and over and over again? Not terribly often. Good defensively, not great.

I've seen Lidstrom take more penalties this year than usual, get burned by forwards more than ever. I think he knows himself better than anyone and he'll retire when he knows he's not up for it anymore.

I also don't think the Wings will be as bad off as everyone thinks when he goes. I grew up watching the dead things play in the snorris division, as long as they don't go back to that, we're fine.

Though it will be hard as a fan to adjust to the Wings style and defense without Lidstrom.