#21 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:00 PM

i kind of can't wait to see how it all turns out

hopefully it's an entertaining mess

LGW will rage over the clusterf*** going on in our defensive zone.

#22 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:29 PM

I wonder if the modern Red Wings' puck control system goes with him.

Way too many players who play in the system.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#23 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:43 PM

When Lids goes it will suck but I can also see potential in it. Kronwall has offensive firepower, hits hard and is solid defensively. The extra minutes he eats up when Lids retires could transform him into a norris contender.

Like said earlier when Lids leaves the puck possession may go with him. It seems to me this season has shown it may. Our bottom lines play dump and chase pretty much and our drafting has become more gritty type players. Ferraro, Nestrasil and Callahan for example last draft.

I think that when Nick retires our team will go through its first semi-rebuild in a long time. We'll be bringing in a big name defenseman, maybe trading a big name forward for said defenseman. s***s gonna hit the fan for sure.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#24 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:09 PM

I was thinking about making a proper Lidstrom appreciation thread before the playoffs..

Hope everyone realizes what a legend he is. The Golden Era of the Wings is the career of Lidstrom. We won't be as good when he is gone, all we can hope for is that we don't fall into complete mediocrity without him.

#25 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:37 PM

I love Nick, but haven't we heard this before?

"If we lose Fedorov, we're screwed"
"If we lose Bowman, we're screwed"
"If we lose Yzerman, we're screwed"

Nick is one of the greatest defenseman of all time, but we'll survive without him. It won't be easy at first, but we'll be fine. Kronwall will step it up (I honestly think he'll be the next Scott Stevens), we still have Raffy, Ericsson is just having a sophomore slump and I'm sure we'll get someone through FA over the next couple years. Lids will be missed A LOT, but its not the end of the world. As long as the Wings continue to play this system and fill the roster with smart two way players, we'll be successful.

#26 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

Kronwall will step it up (I honestly think he'll be the next Scott Stevens)

:lol:

Posted Image

#27 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:26 PM

We'll be good.

Lebda will develop into a Norris contender through Brad Mcrimmon's great coaching.

#28 Stinkyness

Stinkyness

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:39 PM

This team will be totally f***ed.

Sums it up nicely.

#29 OzWing19

OzWing19

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

I'm not buying into the rumors of Lids retiring. I think he'll go on for another year atleast.

#30 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:01 PM

Nick is one of the greatest defenseman of all time, but we'll survive without him. It won't be easy at first, but we'll be fine. Kronwall will step it up (I honestly think he'll be the next Scott Stevens), we still have Raffy, Ericsson is just having a sophomore slump and I'm sure we'll get someone through FA over the next couple years. Lids will be missed A LOT, but its not the end of the world. As long as the Wings continue to play this system and fill the roster with smart two way players, we'll be successful.

The person who was still there during all those departures was Nick. Detroit didn't win until after they aquired Nick (not implying he's the sole reason why)

Edited by Dave, 07 April 2010 - 09:02 PM.

#31 ltgator333

ltgator333

Combustion on Contact

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:24 PM

I too have the simple gut feeling Nick will be back for one more year. It'd be cool if he was around for one more season and retire with the handfull of others who have been around this franchise for a while with him. There's always the possibility he retires gracefully (of course he will irregardless, that's just how Nick was/is/will be) at this season's end, and I surely hope it doesn't happen.

As for what the team looks like post-Lidstrom... well hopefully better than it usually does on the rare occasion he's not on the bench. I really believe there is not another defenseman out there that's approaching a drop-in replacement simply because of the style of game he has always played. There might be someone nearly as effective, but it will take some getting used to and not just for us the fans. It will be a test of the true resolve of the organization.

To say the least, it's going to be odd. And to top it off, I'm not sure that he's going to be around in such high profile as Stevie Y is. I'm sure there's a spot for him in the organization (if he wants), but let's face fact that Lidstrom despite all his achievements has never really been a flashy guy in any sense. And because of that, well for example think of how many trophies he had to win before he became a 'household name' amongst the common out-of-market hockey fan. I guess what I'm getting at is that I feel that the legend that is Nick Lidstrom will fade far too quickly from the minds of the hockey community.
- LT

#32 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:54 PM

I too have the simple gut feeling Nick will be back for one more year. It'd be cool if he was around for one more season and retire with the handfull of others who have been around this franchise for a while with him. There's always the possibility he retires gracefully (of course he will irregardless, that's just how Nick was/is/will be) at this season's end, and I surely hope it doesn't happen.

As for what the team looks like post-Lidstrom... well hopefully better than it usually does on the rare occasion he's not on the bench. I really believe there is not another defenseman out there that's approaching a drop-in replacement simply because of the style of game he has always played. There might be someone nearly as effective, but it will take some getting used to and not just for us the fans. It will be a test of the true resolve of the organization.

To say the least, it's going to be odd. And to top it off, I'm not sure that he's going to be around in such high profile as Stevie Y is. I'm sure there's a spot for him in the organization (if he wants), but let's face fact that Lidstrom despite all his achievements has never really been a flashy guy in any sense. And because of that, well for example think of how many trophies he had to win before he became a 'household name' amongst the common out-of-market hockey fan. I guess what I'm getting at is that I feel that the legend that is Nick Lidstrom will fade far too quickly from the minds of the hockey community.

Bring him back to coach the D

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#33 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:03 PM

This team will be totally f***ed.

My thoughts as well. Think Steve and then multiply it by a few thousand. I don't think we're going to go 0-82 without him, but if people think the troubles we had this season were frustrating.....they haven't seen anything yet.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#34 ltgator333

ltgator333

Combustion on Contact

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:24 AM

Bring him back to coach the D

That would certainly make a few ppl around here happy!
- LT

#35 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:10 AM

You could tell the bad pass Nick made Wednesday night really bothered him on the inside. I thought it was interesting how he said, "Drapes stopped," maybe as if he wanted to blame Draper a little bit.

#36 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:16 AM

Well I guess I agree in that the Wings' brass will try to remain competitive as much as possible by changing the system to fit the personnel or whatever but losing a top 10 if not top 5 dmen of all time will take a lot of time and adjustment and right now it doesn't seem like it will be all that pretty or enjoyable to watch.

And Kronwall... Really?

My thoughts as well. Think Steve and then multiply it by a few thousand. I don't think we're going to go 0-82 without him, but if people think the troubles we had this season were frustrating.....they haven't seen anything yet.

(insert major, major denial post here)

#37 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:35 AM

Its all about passion if he still loves the game he will come back. if he is getting tired of it he wont come back

my say is he hangs em up
Posted Image

#38 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:38 AM

You could tell the bad pass Nick made Wednesday night really bothered him on the inside. I thought it was interesting how he said, "Drapes stopped," maybe as if he wanted to blame Draper a little bit.

Well imagine playing perfectly for almost 20 years and suddenly you make a mistake. Gotta be hard to take, he almost had a flawless career but now it's ruined.

#39 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:38 AM

Its all about passion if he still loves the game he will come back. if he is getting tired of it he wont come back

my say is he hangs em up

You think he's tired of it?

#40 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:47 AM

You think he's tired of it?

the dude is fourty. on an interview with someone from sportcenter he said he wasn't sure if his passion for the game is the same.
Posted Image