• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GoOzzieGo

Any Word on Hossa's injury?

Rate this topic

Maybe not in his career but he did choke for detroit last season and no one can deny it.

Along with just about everyone else.

And he actually had an injury that required surgery...

Hossa.

97 games, 31 goals and 45 assists for 76 points. 2 Finals appearances, lost both times.

Datsyuk

98 games, 22 goals, and 41 assists for 63 points. 3 Finals appearances, 2 Cups.

Zetterberg

85 games, 39 goals, and 37 assists for 76 points. 2 Finals appearances, 1 Cup, 1 Conn Smythe.

You can call Hossa a cup chaser, but he certainly isn't a playoff choker. Unless you want to expand what a playoff choker really is...

Expanded that for you.

How about vanishing when it matters? Hossa shows up in the '08 Finals, maybe Pittsburgh wins it. Hossa shows up in '09, maybe Detroit repeats. Datsyuk and Z show up and have the hardware to prove it.

Guest Trilobite

Expanded that for you.

How about vanishing when it matters? Hossa shows up in the '08 Finals, maybe Pittsburgh wins it. Hossa shows up in '09, maybe Detroit repeats. Datsyuk and Z show up and have the hardware to prove it.

Do you seriously just discount the inarguable FACT that he was playing with a serious injury or are you so blinded by your homerism that rational argument can't affect you?

Also, hockey is a team sport. No one player (with the possible exception of a red hot goalie) deserves credit or blame for a team's results in a seven game series.

Edited by Trilobite

Expanded that for you.

Hossa was about the only Penguin to show up in '08. He was 3rd overall in points.

in the 09' finals He was injured. How hard is that to comprehend? Datsyuk has taken whole playoffs off yet Hossa struggles through an injury that required him to miss the start of the next season?

Without Hossa last year who knows if the Wings would have even gotten past the Quarterfinals.

Edited by Carman

Do you seriously just discount the FACT that he was playing with a serious injury or are you so blinded by your homerism that rational argument can't effect you?

Also, hockey is a team sport. No one player (with the possible exception of a red hot goalie) deserves credit or blame for a team's results in a seven game series.

Dear, I just wrote a novel trying to explain that. Apparently it doesn't matter how many times it's said, people will continue to blame him for everything.

This may be the most pointless argument in the history of LGW.

Not that I doubt you, since you've been a member since 2004, but I highly doubt that. I think the regular season photoshop thread against the Penguins was quite pointless. Or just about every Filppula bashing thread created ranks up there, or the thread that basically denounced Babcock as a good coach ranks higher than any other thread for uselessness.

This may be the most pointless argument in the history of LGW.

I find the argument "The loss of a 7 game series can be blamed on 1 player" to be a bit tiring and pointless myself. But that might just be me.

I think its not the fact that Hossa is solely to blame. I think most people are more blaming him for basically falling face first on expectations for the type of player he is paid and is. Hossa is rediculous, unfortunately I live in Chicagoland area and don't have access to other teams so I watch the hawks. Hossa is a very skilled and unique player. The fact he is paid that much means he is supposed to perform in those situations. He was making that much money and struggled in the '09 playoffs especially the finals. The reason people blame him for the loss is that he didn't live up to his reputation, paygrade, and expectations.

Guest Trilobite

I find the argument "The loss of a 7 game series can be blamed on 1 player" to be a bit tiring and pointless myself. But that might just be me.

the best part is that the people who make this "argument" simply stop posting and run away when called on it.

I think its not the fact that Hossa is solely to blame. I think most people are more blaming him for basically falling face first on expectations for the type of player he is paid and is. Hossa is rediculous, unfortunately I live in Chicagoland area and don't have access to other teams so I watch the hawks. Hossa is a very skilled and unique player. The fact he is paid that much means he is supposed to perform in those situations. He was making that much money and struggled in the '09 playoffs especially the finals. The reason people blame him for the loss is that he didn't live up to his reputation, paygrade, and expectations.

You said nothing about him facing an injury that would directly interfere with his ability to shot the puck.

Guest mindfly

Hossa was about the only Penguin to show up in '08. He was 3rd overall in points.

in the 09' finals He was injured. How hard is that to comprehend? Datsyuk has taken whole playoffs off yet Hossa struggles through an injury that required him to miss the start of the next season?

Without Hossa last year who knows if the Wings would have even gotten past the Quarterfinals.

One is not really injured until they aren't able to take the ice in the playoffs (read:lid's broken balls for example)

Guest screwdahawks

DUH the thread IS ABOUT HOSSA, so the discussion is about HOSSA'S FAILURE. If the thread was about Z, Datsyuk or Stuart then the discussion would be about their failures. Poor little picked on Hossa is not the ONLY ONE to blame for the s***ty end to the playoffs BUT HE DID NOT DELIVER AS EXPECTED.

As much as you want to think that the injury would have made him this unbelievably crappy player you'd be wrong. The shoulder injury is completely expectable to play through. If the tear was that bad he would not have been playing. His shot would have been weaker, but it would have still be a good shot. This is not a random person with a shoulder injury, its a professional athlete with muscle to compensate in ways most people cant. Injuries always affect players and I can guarantee you that when you win the stanley cup 75% of your players are injured in some way or another. It reminds me of one thing I read from gretzky, it was a recollection of him losing his first finals appearance. After he lost he saw his team walk out of the locker room without injuries in relative good health, then saw the other team injured and getting treated...genuinely injured. Thats a slight tangent but the point is that everyone is injured. Also injuries don't remove hockey sense and positioning skills. His legs were fine as far as I know. He is a goal scorer who didn't score. I'm not blaming him solely for the loss, but he fell face first on what is expected out of him.

The shoulder injury is completely expectable to play through. If the tear was that bad he would not have been playing.

I'm no expert, but I learned about rotator cuff tears in athletic training class. According to people who've had them they're so painful you can't even put on a shirt, brush your teeth, or sleep. He did all that and play fricking hockey. And to go off of what Mindfly was saying, if he had sat out he'd still get blamed for being a ***** and not fighting through it like the rest of the team.

One is not really injured until they aren't able to take the ice in the playoffs (read:lid's broken balls for example)

I don't think you can really use that. That'd be like saying Yzerman wasn't really injured because he played all those games on a bad knee.

Guest Lidstromboli

man those stupid pens fans, upset because their rental didn't re-sign with them! we'll never do anything like that, wings fans are the classiest in the nhl ;)

I've personally played through 2 different shoulder injuries. Labrum tear and cuff tear. It hurts and every tear is different because of where it could be, different positions would hurt more. Also the people who can't do those things do not have the major athleticism and strength of a professional athlete. Small tears of the cuff can have almost no effects with simple PT. And of course with more strengthening its possible to postpone surgery and play at a relatively high level.

man those stupid pens fans, upset because their rental didn't re-sign with them! we'll never do anything like that, wings fans are the classiest in the nhl ;)

I know, right?

if he had sat out he'd still get blamed for being a ***** and not fighting through it like the rest of the team.

But both Lidstrom and Datsyuk sat out for stretches of those playoffs, were they ******* who weren't fighting through it?

But both Lidstrom and Datsyuk sat out for stretches of those playoffs, were they ******* who weren't fighting through it?

No, not to me anyway. There are some fans who might think that though. I think it depends on the situation the team is in. If you can afford to sit out you should sit out, but if your team is desperate for bodies and it's possible to play through, you should try to play through. But you can't really win either way. If you sit out people will say toughen up and play through it, but if you play through and don't play well, you suck.

Expanded that for you.

Wait what?

Hossa was the best Penguin on the ice in the '08 finals, I can't fathom how you could say he didn't show up that year. Also just because Z and Dats have gotten hardware in the past doesn't mean that they are suddenly exempt from whatever standards you hold Hossa to.

I remember last year when a significant part of LGW was ridiculing Pittsburgh fans for hating on Hossa so much. Funny how things change and now a lot of people on LGW use Hossa as a scapegoat for last year and don't like the guy for not showing up/leaving/going to the Blackhawks.

I want to make it clear that I don't think Hossa is the reason the Wings lost last year, but I want to clarify something as far as his injury goes. The Wings knew about his shoulder injury when they signed him in July '08, and I believe surgery was suggested at the time. Obviously, he didn't have said surgery and went on to score 40 goals during the regular season. I don't think the injury was debilitating enough to fully explain his lack of goal scoring in the playoffs.

^ He's one of the largest parts and why we didn't win. Osgood and the D did their job. Our offense did not. And who was getting paid 7.45 million a season to score? Hossa. If blame was a cake, Hossa would be eating the biggest piece. That's a fact. He totally choked. And I hope he chokes again. Hossa wants a Cup, but he doesn't want to work for it. He jumped ship to Pittsburgh, he missed his chance. He then jumped to Detroit, he missed his chance. Then he jumped ship to Chicago, and if their is a God, he'll miss his chance again. He doesn't deserve a cup. Maybe when he puts in the time, the work, with a team, who really deserves it, maybe then. But not now.

Chicago doesn't deserve the cup, because they haven't worked hard for it. How does playing poorly for over half a decade, getting handed a slew of premium draft picks for playing badly, suddenly make you a deserving team? Chicago, Washington and Pittsburgh all fall into this category.

If Detroit doesn't win it, I hope a deserving team wins. A team who's consistently played well over the last decade, made the play-offs a few times, been an actual contender. I would be very happy to see a team like Vancouver, or San Jose win. Teams who've consistently made the play-offs, and built their team through smart management and drafting. No s*** Pittsburgh is a good team, they drafted Fleury (1st overall), Malkin (2nd overall), Crosby (1st overall), in back to back to back years. Wow, what a story of success that is. Any team in the league could be good as them with those high picks.

Love it.

Do you seriously just discount the inarguable FACT that he was playing with a serious injury or are you so blinded by your homerism that rational argument can't affect you?

Ok if his injury was that bad, he would've been out of the line up. He was skating fine and could stick handle when he wanted too. He was just inconsistent and along for the ride. He has no heart at all. Cleary played with a broken hand and a torn groin and still looked like one of the best on the ice.

Guest Trilobite

Ok if his injury was that bad, he would've been out of the line up. He was skating fine and could stick handle when he wanted too. He was just inconsistent and along for the ride. He has no heart at all. Cleary played with a broken hand and a torn groin and still looked like one of the best on the ice.

breathtakingly inane. Well done.

Edited by Trilobite