27 replies to this topic

#1 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:58 AM

http://www.mlive.com...lkader_rea.html

GRAND RAPIDS -- The Grand Rapids Griffins didnít qualify for the playoffs this season, but that doesnít mean Justin Abdelkader isnít preparing for the postseason.

The former Mona Shores and Michigan State standout is all but assured of rejoining the Detroit Red Wings when the Griffins conclude the regular season this weekend.

Abdelkader, who spent the first 50 games this season in Detroit, isnít taking anything for granted. Heís determined to make sure heís ready if and when the Red Wings need him.

"I just try to prepare myself as much as I can and get ready because if my name is called, I want to be ready to go," he said after recording a goal and an assist in the Griffinsí 6-3 win against the Rochester Americans on Wednesday night.

Since being assigned to Grand Rapids on Jan. 29, Abdelkader has 11 goals, 10 assists and a plus-4 rating in 31 games.

Heís also been able to play first line minutes, more than twice what he saw in Detroit, and contribute to both the power play and penalty kill while serving as an alternate captain.

Abdelkader, who scored in Games 1 and 2 of the Stanley Cup finals last year, acknowledges that he wonít see nearly as much ice time when he returns to the Red Wings.

Abdelkader had three goals, three assists and a minus-11 rating in Detroit.

"Itís an adjustment. The hockey is a step faster and the puck moves a little faster, but at the same time, itís easier too," he said. "Some guys find it easier to go up because everyone is in position.

"Obviously, Iím not going to play as much, I just want to make the most of my shifts. I was up there for the majority of the season so I know what I have to do to be successful."

Against Rochester, he helped boost the Griffinsí lead from 2-1 to 4-1 in the second period.

First, he sent a pass to Jan Mursak, who backhanded in a goal from the slot with 3:56 left in the second. Just over 3 minutes later, Abdelkader took an outlet pass from goaltender Thomas McCollum, barreled through the defense and flicked a shot past the goaltender.

"I thought Abdelkader had an exceptional night. That goal was terrific," Griffins coach Curt Fraser said. "He got mad in the second period, and we needed him to. He stepped up and did a great job."

While Abdelkader knows his next destination is eventually Detroit, he still wants to help Grand Rapids finish this season strong -- postseason or no postseason.

"Guys want to make a name for themselves and find a spot here or in the NHL, so theyíre still meaningful games," he said. "Obviously, in the standings theyíre not, but theyíre meaningful to us."
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#2 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:03 AM

Hopefully we won't need him. But it sure is nice to know we have a guy like that standing by in case the injury bug hits. I can't wait for the playoffs!! So stoked!!!

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#3 Green Wing

Green Wing

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:04 AM

I think there might be some rotation in the 4th line in the playoffs, especially if Williams is invisible. I guess they'll see how the first couple of games go and who steps it up.

#4 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:15 AM

especially if Williams is invisible.

...who?

..seriously I've been watching every game this season and I can't remember seeing any "Williams" guy..

#5 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:45 AM

Abby looked really good last night.

Then again, everyone looked good since they pounded the hell out of the Americans.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#6 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:49 AM

Abdelkader also had 7 fights in 31 games. Which is, of course, all that really matters.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#7 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:20 AM

He will definitely be playing in the playoffs... He will make our 4th line stronger with his physical play. Can't wait!

#8 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:20 AM

Williams' effect on the power play hasn't been dramatic, I could see Abdelkader stepping in for him.

#9 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:48 AM

Not to make this about JWilly but wow <_< he hasnt really done anything!

Edited by 13dangledangle, 08 April 2010 - 09:49 AM.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#10 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:53 AM

wouldn't mind seeing abby step in if white vanilla, or any other 3rd or 4th liners struggle

Edited by redwingfan19, 08 April 2010 - 09:54 AM.

You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#11 Yellowknife Redwing

Yellowknife Redwing

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:25 AM

...who?

..seriously I've been watching every game this season and I can't remember seeing any "Williams" guy..

He played for us from 2002-2007. You don't remember that guy? I wonder what he's up to these days...

#12 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:27 AM

Abby is still in the top 3 in hits on the team :ph34r:

Posted Image

#13 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

Abdelkader is better suited to the 4th line grinder role than Williams, and Williams has not played well enough to justify moving onto one of the top 2 lines, so he becomes expendable when the cap is no longer a concern.

Holmstrom/Datsyuk/Franzen
Filppula/Zetterberg/Bertuzzi
Cleary/Helm/Eaves
Miller/Draper/Abdelkader

Looks good to me.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#14 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

Put Abdelkader in the lineup for playoffs. He'll be our biggest hitter, he scores clutch goals, and he can fight well enough to handle any of the pests on the other teams.

Williams does none of the above.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#15 Icer

Icer

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:36 PM

I've got no problem with adding Abdelkader to the 4th line for some energy, but you better not count on him scoring many goals. He only had 3 in 50 games the last time he was up with the club.

#16 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:40 PM

I've got no problem with adding Abdelkader to the 4th line for some energy, but you better not count on him scoring many goals. He only had 3 in 50 games the last time he was up with the club.

Yeah and he had 2 in the finals last year. Youre not gonna score alot playing with May and Maltby all year. I actually think Babcock wanted Ab learning from May all year.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#17 Icer

Icer

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:08 PM

Yeah and he had 2 in the finals last year.

The first was a point blank shot off a rebound and the second was a snap shot from the top of the circle that somehow snuck past Fleury. Both were more luck than skill. Don't get me wrong. I've been watching Abdelkader since his days at MSU and I believe he has a future with the Red Wings. I just think he's a few seasons away from reaching his potential. Right now the NHL game is a little above his ability level.

Edited by Icer, 08 April 2010 - 02:08 PM.

#18 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

Abdelkader thrives on playoff hockey, he had more goals in the SCF then Crosby. Williams out... Abdelkader In for the playoffs.

#19 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:29 PM

The problem with Abdelkader is that he... wait, Williams is still on the team Posted Image

BRING HIM UP!!!

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#20 mikl657

mikl657

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:39 PM

Abdelkader is better suited to the 4th line grinder role than Williams, and Williams has not played well enough to justify moving onto one of the top 2 lines, so he becomes expendable when the cap is no longer a concern.

Holmstrom/Datsyuk/Franzen
Filppula/Zetterberg/Bertuzzi
Cleary/Helm/Eaves
Miller/Draper/Abdelkader

Looks good to me.

few problems with those lines, first hudler is more then likly coming back

Homlstrom/Datsyuk/Frazen
Filpulla/Zetterberg/Bertuzzi
Cleary/Hudler/Helm
Miller/Draper/Eaves

I'd think eaves/miller will get multi year deals, they preformed amazling and Bertuzzi I could see resigning at the same or near price, and williams is gone, and that other guy is coming up ritola or w/e his name is, my question is why is everyone so up beat about abdelkader? I'd pick miller or eaves over him