• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Abdelkader Ready if Needed

Rate this topic

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/2010/04/griffins_justin_abdelkader_rea.html

GRAND RAPIDS -- The Grand Rapids Griffins didn’t qualify for the playoffs this season, but that doesn’t mean Justin Abdelkader isn’t preparing for the postseason.

The former Mona Shores and Michigan State standout is all but assured of rejoining the Detroit Red Wings when the Griffins conclude the regular season this weekend.

Abdelkader, who spent the first 50 games this season in Detroit, isn’t taking anything for granted. He’s determined to make sure he’s ready if and when the Red Wings need him.

"I just try to prepare myself as much as I can and get ready because if my name is called, I want to be ready to go," he said after recording a goal and an assist in the Griffins’ 6-3 win against the Rochester Americans on Wednesday night.

Since being assigned to Grand Rapids on Jan. 29, Abdelkader has 11 goals, 10 assists and a plus-4 rating in 31 games.

He’s also been able to play first line minutes, more than twice what he saw in Detroit, and contribute to both the power play and penalty kill while serving as an alternate captain.

Abdelkader, who scored in Games 1 and 2 of the Stanley Cup finals last year, acknowledges that he won’t see nearly as much ice time when he returns to the Red Wings.

Abdelkader had three goals, three assists and a minus-11 rating in Detroit.

"It’s an adjustment. The hockey is a step faster and the puck moves a little faster, but at the same time, it’s easier too," he said. "Some guys find it easier to go up because everyone is in position.

"Obviously, I’m not going to play as much, I just want to make the most of my shifts. I was up there for the majority of the season so I know what I have to do to be successful."

Against Rochester, he helped boost the Griffins’ lead from 2-1 to 4-1 in the second period.

First, he sent a pass to Jan Mursak, who backhanded in a goal from the slot with 3:56 left in the second. Just over 3 minutes later, Abdelkader took an outlet pass from goaltender Thomas McCollum, barreled through the defense and flicked a shot past the goaltender.

"I thought Abdelkader had an exceptional night. That goal was terrific," Griffins coach Curt Fraser said. "He got mad in the second period, and we needed him to. He stepped up and did a great job."

While Abdelkader knows his next destination is eventually Detroit, he still wants to help Grand Rapids finish this season strong -- postseason or no postseason.

"Guys want to make a name for themselves and find a spot here or in the NHL, so they’re still meaningful games," he said. "Obviously, in the standings they’re not, but they’re meaningful to us."

Abdelkader is better suited to the 4th line grinder role than Williams, and Williams has not played well enough to justify moving onto one of the top 2 lines, so he becomes expendable when the cap is no longer a concern.

Holmstrom/Datsyuk/Franzen

Filppula/Zetterberg/Bertuzzi

Cleary/Helm/Eaves

Miller/Draper/Abdelkader

Looks good to me.

Put Abdelkader in the lineup for playoffs. He'll be our biggest hitter, he scores clutch goals, and he can fight well enough to handle any of the pests on the other teams.

Williams does none of the above.

I've got no problem with adding Abdelkader to the 4th line for some energy, but you better not count on him scoring many goals. He only had 3 in 50 games the last time he was up with the club.

I've got no problem with adding Abdelkader to the 4th line for some energy, but you better not count on him scoring many goals. He only had 3 in 50 games the last time he was up with the club.

Yeah and he had 2 in the finals last year. Youre not gonna score alot playing with May and Maltby all year. I actually think Babcock wanted Ab learning from May all year.

Yeah and he had 2 in the finals last year.

The first was a point blank shot off a rebound and the second was a snap shot from the top of the circle that somehow snuck past Fleury. Both were more luck than skill. Don't get me wrong. I've been watching Abdelkader since his days at MSU and I believe he has a future with the Red Wings. I just think he's a few seasons away from reaching his potential. Right now the NHL game is a little above his ability level.

Edited by Icer

Abdelkader is better suited to the 4th line grinder role than Williams, and Williams has not played well enough to justify moving onto one of the top 2 lines, so he becomes expendable when the cap is no longer a concern.

Holmstrom/Datsyuk/Franzen

Filppula/Zetterberg/Bertuzzi

Cleary/Helm/Eaves

Miller/Draper/Abdelkader

Looks good to me.

few problems with those lines, first hudler is more then likly coming back

Homlstrom/Datsyuk/Frazen

Filpulla/Zetterberg/Bertuzzi

Cleary/Hudler/Helm

Miller/Draper/Eaves

I'd think eaves/miller will get multi year deals, they preformed amazling and Bertuzzi I could see resigning at the same or near price, and williams is gone, and that other guy is coming up ritola or w/e his name is, my question is why is everyone so up beat about abdelkader? I'd pick miller or eaves over him

Guest Crymson

...who?

..seriously I've been watching every game this season and I can't remember seeing any "Williams" guy..

Yeah, he has been very bad.

Homlstrom/Datsyuk/Frazen

Cleary/Hudler/Helm

Miller/Draper/Eaves

I'd think eaves/miller will get multi year deals, they preformed amazling and Bertuzzi I could see resigning at the same or near price, and williams is gone, and that other guy is coming up ritola or w/e his name is, my question is why is everyone so up beat about abdelkader? I'd pick miller or eaves over him

You'd take Eaves or Miller over Ab? He played with Maltby and May all year so he didn't get points, he has top 2 line potential, something Eaves might reach with Detroit and Miller is a career third liner. Eaves will probably be a third liner his whole life too. Abdelakder could end up being a strong third line anchor or solid second liner that can hit and fight.

Not too mention Abdelakder is outta options and has to stay up next year. They'll drop Miller if they have to to keep Abdelakder up next season.

Homlstrom/Datsyuk/Frazen

Cleary/Hudler/Helm

Miller/Draper/Eaves

I was talking about the playoff this season, not next year. Unless I'm mistaken, Hudler can't come back for the playoffs. I like the line combos the way they are now, and with the roster freedom that is available in the postseason, I would drop Williams in favor of Abdelkader in a heartbeat.

If you want to talk next season, then yes I hope Hudler comes back we could use his scoring touch, I agree that Eaves should get a multi-year deal, 4 or 5 years, Miller should get 2 or 3, Bertuzzi I could go either way unless something much better comes available, and Ritola will likely be the 13th forward unless Draper or Homer retire.

Homlstrom/Datsyuk/Frazen

Cleary/Hudler/Helm

Miller/Draper/Eaves

The lines were referring to the playoff roster for this year. Also, can you please explain how you believe it is a better move for the organization to keep both Miller and Eaves while trading/waiving Abby than it is to keep one of them and Abby? He's out of options and IMO has more potential than both of them (although they have been great and I'd like to keep one of them- whoever signs for the least money).

The lines were referring to the playoff roster for this year. Also, can you please explain how you believe it is a better move for the organization to keep both Miller and Eaves while trading/waiving Abby than it is to keep one of them and Abby? He's out of options and IMO has more potential than both of them (although they have been great and I'd like to keep one of them- whoever signs for the least money).

I think we should keep Eaves. He's got more scoring potential out of the two, he's more physical and has shown that he will rough it up a bit more then Miller. He seems to have great chemistry with Helm and if you add Abdelakder on that line next season they'll be one of the stronger third lines in the league.

Theres no way both are kept and Abdelakder is lost, no way in hell.