• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

creedie

Williams is lacking moxy

Rate this topic

After some time of watching him on the ice and trying to figure out what he was missing I decided he just doesn't have any moxy while he is playing the game. He can make good plays and is seemingly responsible with the puck, but he plays with little heart. There is no battle to his game and many nights he is just invisible on the ice. There is little excitement to his play. I don't hate the guy but he is so... meh

I think that's the general consensus 'round these parts.

He can, and has, made some nice plays. They're just so few and far between that no one really cares at this point.

Guest mindfly

He has a great backhanded move in shootouts, though. ;)

Which won't be needed in the playoffs :thumbdown:

But who would be the right handed shot on the point. :ph34r:

Either Babcock abandons the idea, which I think he should, or he could put Eaves in that role, he's a righty and IMO has a better shot than Williams anyway.

Stuart or Ericsson could do just fine playing the other point on the 2nd PP unit, they showed it while Kronwall and Williams were both out.

I also do not understand why Willy gets to man the 2nd PP point over E and it frustrates the heck out of me why Willy and not ANYONE else. The OP hit the nailhead the guy seems to be just missing something that shows up for very brief periods of time and is gone just as quickly for LONG stretches of time. And it seems to have gotten worse since the broken leg. I know for fact broken bones can screw with your head, for what it's worth.

Williams needs to be sat for Abby.

Ericsson needs to get on the point for the 2nd PP, hell that's probably what Ericsson's most useful role would be anyways. He has a great shot and decent offensive instincts.

Guest mindfly

Williams needs to be sat for Abby.

Ericsson needs to get on the point for the 2nd PP, hell that's probably what Ericsson's most useful role would be anyways. He has a great shot and decent offensive instincts.

Stuart has more experience of playing the pp though.. which he has done on every team he has played for except detroit...

Edited by mindfly

Guest Lidstromboli

Stuart played on the powerplay for awhile this year and was about as useful as Williams.

Stuart has more experience of playing the pp though.. which he has done on every team he has played for except detroit...

True, but Stuart is more valuable on the PK than Ericsson. Can't have Stuart play Lidstrom type minutes and remain as physically effective.

Playing the point on the second PP does not justify him playing in playoffs over Abdelkader thats for sure. Abdelakder is a clutch performer and a huge hitter. He can also handle the pests on other teams since most heavyweight fighters wont be playing much.

Really Williams looks horrible on the PP. He shoots when he shouldn't and somehow ended up in the corner with no outlets twice last night. Stuart or Ericcson would be twice as effective since both have heavy shots. They also play defense which means when someone does bring the puck back at them they know how to defend. Babcock frustrates me when he sits Ericcson on the PP for that plug. Let Ericcson play and get some confidence built up.

Not to derail the thread but Leslie Nielsen isn't dead. Or is your sig a joke?

No joke - I changed it earlier, mixed him up with Peter Graves... thanks for catching that i will correct my mistake.

After some time of watching him on the ice and trying to figure out what he was missing I decided he just doesn't have any moxy while he is playing the game. He can make good plays and is seemingly responsible with the puck, but he plays with little heart. There is no battle to his game and many nights he is just invisible on the ice. There is little excitement to his play. I don't hate the guy but he is so... meh

i noticed this on the weekend when i was watching the wings/flyers game. willy has absolutely no grit. no sense of urgency. he should take a seat in the press box in the playoffs and insert abdelkader. eaves has just as good of a shot and plays hard. put him on the PP unit where williams goes, where he has done nothing when there, and we'll see eaves put up some numbers.

Either Babcock abandons the idea, which I think he should, or he could put Eaves in that role, he's a righty and IMO has a better shot than Williams anyway.

Stuart or Ericsson could do just fine playing the other point on the 2nd PP unit, they showed it while Kronwall and Williams were both out.

Eaves might not be a bad idea. He seems to have a decent shot, and he is good in the defensive zone. Just has to watch out for those shootout attempts.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Williams lacks...

1. Balls

2. Testicular Fortitude

3. Heart

and moxie. Agreed. I rarely question Holland's moves but what the hell was he thinking bringing this marshmallow slappy back? I know Hudler bolted to the KHL and Kenny was left scrambling with few options. But for crying in the night man...Jason Williams? I'd sooner he signed Venus or Serena Williams. At least those girls compete!