• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MacK_Attack

Pat Burns hospitalized

Rate this topic

Former NHL head coach Pat Burns has been hospitalized with pneumonia, according to several reports.

According to Montreal-based sports website ruefrontenac.com and Montreal radio station CKAC, Burns was hospitalized outside Tampa, Fla., last Sunday - his 58th birthday.

Burns opted to forego any more chemotherapy after he was diagnosed last year with lung cancer, just a few years after he battled the same disease in his colon and liver.

His most recent public appearance was in Stanstead, Quebec two weeks ago, when it was announced that the Pat Burns Arena would be built on the campus of Stanstead College.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=317139

From vanvouver dot 24hrs dot ca :

A Facebook campaign to get cancer-stricken coach Pat Burns into the Hockey Hall of Fame has close to 10,000 supporters in just five days.

Whether the fan response has any sway with the Hall’s selection committee remains to be seen. The idea is to get Burns chosen in the builders’ wing, which does not require the three-year wait players are subject to. Warren Weeks, co-founder of the three-man group behind the push, hopes the huge response gets the required one member of the 12-person committee to put Burns’ name forward by the April 15 deadline. A June vote then follows and the induction ceremony is in November.

From TSN :

After a pneumonia scare, former NHL head coach Pat Burns has been released from hospital and has returned home.

Burns' cousin Robin told TSN that his relative is resting comfortably at home and taking antibiotics for his pneumonia.

Robin Burns also said he wants people to know Pat's departure is not imminent, although he didn't put it quite that diplomatically.

"Tell people Pat is home taking his medicine and watching TSN, which will surely put him to sleep before the medicine,” Burns joked.

Sorry to hear that. Just lost a cousin to cancer this week, I wish him all the best and his family, too.

Sorry to hear about your cousin mate. As for Pat Burns, I read somewhere else that he had passed away as well, but that it was a false report. Either way, I don't think the guy has much longer left. Good luck to him and I hope he's not in too much pain.

From TSN :

In contrast to several erroneous reports earlier in the day, former NHL head coach Pat Burns is alive,

Burns phoned TSN on Friday.

"Here we go again," said the three-time NHL coach of the year. "They're trying to kill me before I'm dead. I come to Quebec to spend some time with my family and they say I'm dead. I'm not dead, far (expletive) from it. They've had me dead since June. Tell them I'm alive. Set them straight."

The "Rumour Monger" has confessed; from Toronto Star :

Earlier in the day, Leafs adviser Cliff Fletcher told reporters at Leafs’ training camp that the seriously ill Burns had died.

A few hours later, he issued a written apology:

“I extend my deepest apologies to Pat Burns and his family,” Fletcher said.

“Unfortunately, I was misinformed by a friend earlier today and my public comments were completely inaccurate.

The "Rumour Monger" has confessed; from Toronto Star :

I'm not sure what kind of an idiot would be in a rush to announce tragic news like that anyways. It's not Fletcher's job and it seems pretty scummy to me. Leave that to the family. It also doesn't say a lot about guys like Damien Cox who did no fact checking whatsoever; all he did was start twittering the f*** out of it.