51 replies to this topic

#1 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

April 08, 2010, 4:30PM
DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings will recall several players from their AHL affiliate Grand Rapids Griffins for the start of the playoffs, including forwards Justin Abdelkader and Brad May.

Abdelkader and May will be practicing with the Red Wings and competing to get in the lineup.

“They’ll be parachuted into our lineup right away, whether they get into the lineup Day 1 or don’t get in, or just practice with us, I can’t answer that,'' coach Mike Babcock said Thursday. "We’re going to watch our players and they decide.’’

General manager Ken Holland said seven players from Grand Rapids will be called up to travel with the team in the playoffs. Forwards Mattias Ritola and Jan Mursak, defensemen Doug Janik and Jakub Kindl and goaltender Daniel Larsson will join the Red Wings for the postseason as the "Black Aces,'' taking the ice after practice. Mursak will join the team after competing in the B Pool Championships.

Holland said a few other players, including defenseman Logan Pyett and goalie Thomas McCollum, will join the team in Detroit for Games 3 and 4, to practice and experience some playoff atmosphere.

After Thursday's late afternoon practice, Babcock said he'll dress the same lineup for Friday's game in Columbus (7 p.m., FSN Plus) that he used in Wednesday's 4-3 win over the Blue Jackets.

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Filppula-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi
Cleary-Helm-Eaves
Draper-Miller-Williams

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Kronwall-Stuart
Ericsson-Lilja
Lebda-Meech (scratches)

Howard (starting)
Osgood

Babcock would not reveal whether Chris Osgood will start in the season finale Sunday at Chicago.

“I have a plan. I’m not telling you anything, though,'' Babcock said. "We’re going to play tomorrow and then I’m going to decide.’’

- Tollefsen and Kolosov left off the list. Larson brought up as well just in case Howard chokes and Ozzy is too rusty? Nice to see Mursak's good season be rewarded with a call up

Edited by newfy, 08 April 2010 - 07:49 PM.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#2 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

April 08, 2010, 4:30PM
DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings will recall several players from their AHL affiliate Grand Rapids Griffins for the start of the playoffs, including forwards Justin Abdelkader and Brad May.

Abdelkader and May will be practicing with the Red Wings and competing to get in the lineup.

Theyll be parachuted into our lineup right away, whether they get into the lineup Day 1 or dont get in, or just practice with us, I cant answer that,'' coach Mike Babcock said Thursday. "Were going to watch our players and they decide.

General manager Ken Holland said seven players from Grand Rapids will be called up to travel with the team in the playoffs. Forwards Mattias Ritola and Jan Mursak, defensemen Doug Janik and Jakub Kindl and goaltender Daniel Larsson will join the Red Wings for the postseason as the "Black Aces,'' taking the ice after practice. Mursak will join the team after competing in the B Pool Championships.

Holland said a few other players, including defenseman Logan Pyett and goalie Thomas McCollum, will join the team in Detroit for Games 3 and 4, to practice and experience some playoff atmosphere.

After Thursday's late afternoon practice, Babcock said he'll dress the same lineup for Friday's game in Columbus (7 p.m., FSN Plus) that he used in Wednesday's 4-3 win over the Blue Jackets.

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Filppula-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi
Cleary-Helm-Eaves
Draper-Miller-Williams

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Kronwall-Stuart
Ericsson-Lilja
Lebda-Meech (scratches)

Howard (starting)
Osgood

Babcock would not reveal whether Chris Osgood will start in the season finale Sunday at Chicago.

I have a plan. Im not telling you anything, though,'' Babcock said. "Were going to play tomorrow and then Im going to decide.

- Tollefsen and Kolosov left off the list. Larson brought up as well just in case Howard chokes and Ozzy is too rusty? Nice to see Mursak's good season be rewarded with a call up

I have a hunch that Babcock's gonna fuse them together. Playoff experience with youth and athleticism-- we'll be unstoppable. The goalie's name will be Jimmy Howgood?

#3 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:59 PM

I'd like for them to bench Williams for Abby and depending on opponent Draper for May
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#4 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:59 PM

Look for Williams to be replaced by either Abdelkader right off the bat. Maybe see May take Miller's place if we have an opponent with a noted fighter (though among the 1-4 seeds in the West, none come to mind). Now that we have everyone healthy, we have the luxury of tinkering with the lineup but I don't think much is needed, our lines are pretty solid right now, our D is set up the way it should have been, all in all I like our chances of making another deep playoff run. Also, good to see Mursak getting the call-up, he had a great season and is maybe a year away from cracking the Wings lineup.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#5 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:01 PM

I have a hunch that Babcock's gonna fuse them together. Playoff experience with youth and athleticism-- we'll be unstoppable. The goalie's name will be Jimmy Howgood?

:lol:

The plan should be: Go with the goalie who will win. I'll email that idea to Babs and see what he thinks.

#6 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:06 PM

I think the fact that Babcock says he has a plan means we'll probably see some lineup changes. Abdelkader the most likely by far, Babcock likes his style of player. He also was the one that wanted May brought here so we might see him yet.

May will probably get some playing time against Vancouver since he brings a physical presence and of course would be nice to have for the end of games when all the gooning takes place. Him and Ab will be a good 1,2 punch.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#7 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:11 PM

Poor Jamie. His time with this organisation must be up.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#8 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:15 PM

who?

#9 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:18 PM

I hope they literally parachute in

Posted Image

#10 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:25 PM

Check and mate.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#11 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:28 PM

who?

No one. Just some 25 year old blue collar grinding hard working agitator contracted by Detroit in Grand Rapids, who is currently 5th in scoring on the team and wears the "C".

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#12 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:29 PM

who?

I'm guessing he meant Tardiff. I don't think there was ever an indication he'd get a chance to play with the Wings anyways.

#13 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:37 PM

Look for Williams to be replaced by either Abdelkader right off the bat. Maybe see May take Miller's place if we have an opponent with a noted fighter (though among the 1-4 seeds in the West, none come to mind). Now that we have everyone healthy, we have the luxury of tinkering with the lineup but I don't think much is needed, our lines are pretty solid right now, our D is set up the way it should have been, all in all I like our chances of making another deep playoff run. Also, good to see Mursak getting the call-up, he had a great season and is maybe a year away from cracking the Wings lineup.

There's no chance May goes in for Miller. Face-offs aside, Miller's the single most important forward on the PK.

I'd love to see Mursak get a shot for one game instead of Abdelkader. Mursak is an incredible skater. Helm is the only guy in the entire Wings organization who's faster than Mursak. Add to that the fact that Mursak is very good defensively and has soft hands... sweeeet.

No one. Just some 25 year old blue collar grinding hard working agitator contracted by Detroit in Grand Rapids, who is currently 5th in scoring on the team and wears the "C".

Jamie something...
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#14 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:54 PM

There's no chance May goes in for Miller. Face-offs aside, Miller's the single most important forward on the PK.

I'd love to see Mursak get a shot for one game instead of Abdelkader. Mursak is an incredible skater. Helm is the only guy in the entire Wings organization who's faster than Mursak. Add to that the fact that Mursak is very good defensively and has soft hands... sweeeet.

Jamie something...

I'm a big Mursak fan, but I don't know if I want him playing in the playoffs when we have a healthy lineup. He hasn't played in an NHL game yet- Helm and Abby had played a few regular season games before playing in the playoffs during the past few years. I'd like Mursak get some games with the Wings next season, and hopefully make the club full time in 2011.

#15 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

I didnt see him getting called up because Abdelkader and May both kinda cover the same game as Tardif does. I wouldnt say his time is up quite yet however.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#16 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:46 PM

I could see taking Williams out. I'd be upset to see Draper pulled out though.

#17 2guns

2guns

Rookie

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:56 PM

Well, that made me chuckle. Well played, indeed.

#18 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:02 PM

Two players that fight immediately injected into the playoff lineup. Who'da thunk it?!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#19 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:08 PM

Two players that fight immediately injected into the playoff lineup. Who'da thunk it?!

esteef

There's no way Jason Williams gets a spot in the lineup come playoff time.gotta think Abdelkader will take his place and depending on how he does,as well as Draper,maybe,just maybe,we could see Brad May patrolling the ice at The Joe. :thumbup:
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#20 NotTooAbby

NotTooAbby

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:12 PM

Great nickname there.....Jimmy Howgood is just that good. Here's to the playoffs that we all hoped for and knew would come true.

Jimmy=Calder