• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

newfy

Black Aces announced

Rate this topic

April 08, 2010, 4:30PM

DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings will recall several players from their AHL affiliate Grand Rapids Griffins for the start of the playoffs, including forwards Justin Abdelkader and Brad May.

Abdelkader and May will be practicing with the Red Wings and competing to get in the lineup.

“They’ll be parachuted into our lineup right away, whether they get into the lineup Day 1 or don’t get in, or just practice with us, I can’t answer that,'' coach Mike Babcock said Thursday. "We’re going to watch our players and they decide.’’

General manager Ken Holland said seven players from Grand Rapids will be called up to travel with the team in the playoffs. Forwards Mattias Ritola and Jan Mursak, defensemen Doug Janik and Jakub Kindl and goaltender Daniel Larsson will join the Red Wings for the postseason as the "Black Aces,'' taking the ice after practice. Mursak will join the team after competing in the B Pool Championships.

Holland said a few other players, including defenseman Logan Pyett and goalie Thomas McCollum, will join the team in Detroit for Games 3 and 4, to practice and experience some playoff atmosphere.

After Thursday's late afternoon practice, Babcock said he'll dress the same lineup for Friday's game in Columbus (7 p.m., FSN Plus) that he used in Wednesday's 4-3 win over the Blue Jackets.

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Filppula-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Helm-Eaves

Draper-Miller-Williams

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Lilja

Lebda-Meech (scratches)

Howard (starting)

Osgood

Babcock would not reveal whether Chris Osgood will start in the season finale Sunday at Chicago.

“I have a plan. I’m not telling you anything, though,'' Babcock said. "We’re going to play tomorrow and then I’m going to decide.’’

- Tollefsen and Kolosov left off the list. Larson brought up as well just in case Howard chokes and Ozzy is too rusty? Nice to see Mursak's good season be rewarded with a call up

Edited by newfy

April 08, 2010, 4:30PM

DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings will recall several players from their AHL affiliate Grand Rapids Griffins for the start of the playoffs, including forwards Justin Abdelkader and Brad May.

Abdelkader and May will be practicing with the Red Wings and competing to get in the lineup.

“They’ll be parachuted into our lineup right away, whether they get into the lineup Day 1 or don’t get in, or just practice with us, I can’t answer that,'' coach Mike Babcock said Thursday. "We’re going to watch our players and they decide.’’

General manager Ken Holland said seven players from Grand Rapids will be called up to travel with the team in the playoffs. Forwards Mattias Ritola and Jan Mursak, defensemen Doug Janik and Jakub Kindl and goaltender Daniel Larsson will join the Red Wings for the postseason as the "Black Aces,'' taking the ice after practice. Mursak will join the team after competing in the B Pool Championships.

Holland said a few other players, including defenseman Logan Pyett and goalie Thomas McCollum, will join the team in Detroit for Games 3 and 4, to practice and experience some playoff atmosphere.

After Thursday's late afternoon practice, Babcock said he'll dress the same lineup for Friday's game in Columbus (7 p.m., FSN Plus) that he used in Wednesday's 4-3 win over the Blue Jackets.

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Filppula-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Helm-Eaves

Draper-Miller-Williams

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Lilja

Lebda-Meech (scratches)

Howard (starting)

Osgood

Babcock would not reveal whether Chris Osgood will start in the season finale Sunday at Chicago.

“I have a plan. I’m not telling you anything, though,'' Babcock said. "We’re going to play tomorrow and then I’m going to decide.’’

- Tollefsen and Kolosov left off the list. Larson brought up as well just in case Howard chokes and Ozzy is too rusty? Nice to see Mursak's good season be rewarded with a call up

I have a hunch that Babcock's gonna fuse them together. Playoff experience with youth and athleticism-- we'll be unstoppable. The goalie's name will be Jimmy Howgood?

Look for Williams to be replaced by either Abdelkader right off the bat. Maybe see May take Miller's place if we have an opponent with a noted fighter (though among the 1-4 seeds in the West, none come to mind). Now that we have everyone healthy, we have the luxury of tinkering with the lineup but I don't think much is needed, our lines are pretty solid right now, our D is set up the way it should have been, all in all I like our chances of making another deep playoff run. Also, good to see Mursak getting the call-up, he had a great season and is maybe a year away from cracking the Wings lineup.

I have a hunch that Babcock's gonna fuse them together. Playoff experience with youth and athleticism-- we'll be unstoppable. The goalie's name will be Jimmy Howgood?

:lol:

The plan should be: Go with the goalie who will win. I'll email that idea to Babs and see what he thinks.

I think the fact that Babcock says he has a plan means we'll probably see some lineup changes. Abdelkader the most likely by far, Babcock likes his style of player. He also was the one that wanted May brought here so we might see him yet.

May will probably get some playing time against Vancouver since he brings a physical presence and of course would be nice to have for the end of games when all the gooning takes place. Him and Ab will be a good 1,2 punch.

Look for Williams to be replaced by either Abdelkader right off the bat. Maybe see May take Miller's place if we have an opponent with a noted fighter (though among the 1-4 seeds in the West, none come to mind). Now that we have everyone healthy, we have the luxury of tinkering with the lineup but I don't think much is needed, our lines are pretty solid right now, our D is set up the way it should have been, all in all I like our chances of making another deep playoff run. Also, good to see Mursak getting the call-up, he had a great season and is maybe a year away from cracking the Wings lineup.

There's no chance May goes in for Miller. Face-offs aside, Miller's the single most important forward on the PK.

I'd love to see Mursak get a shot for one game instead of Abdelkader. Mursak is an incredible skater. Helm is the only guy in the entire Wings organization who's faster than Mursak. Add to that the fact that Mursak is very good defensively and has soft hands... sweeeet.

No one. Just some 25 year old blue collar grinding hard working agitator contracted by Detroit in Grand Rapids, who is currently 5th in scoring on the team and wears the "C".

Jamie something...

There's no chance May goes in for Miller. Face-offs aside, Miller's the single most important forward on the PK.

I'd love to see Mursak get a shot for one game instead of Abdelkader. Mursak is an incredible skater. Helm is the only guy in the entire Wings organization who's faster than Mursak. Add to that the fact that Mursak is very good defensively and has soft hands... sweeeet.

Jamie something...

I'm a big Mursak fan, but I don't know if I want him playing in the playoffs when we have a healthy lineup. He hasn't played in an NHL game yet- Helm and Abby had played a few regular season games before playing in the playoffs during the past few years. I'd like Mursak get some games with the Wings next season, and hopefully make the club full time in 2011.

Poor Jamie. His time with this organisation must be up.

I didnt see him getting called up because Abdelkader and May both kinda cover the same game as Tardif does. I wouldnt say his time is up quite yet however.

Well, that made me chuckle. Well played, indeed.

Two players that fight immediately injected into the playoff lineup. Who'da thunk it?!

esteef

There's no way Jason Williams gets a spot in the lineup come playoff time.gotta think Abdelkader will take his place and depending on how he does,as well as Draper,maybe,just maybe,we could see Brad May patrolling the ice at The Joe. :thumbup:

Great nickname there.....Jimmy Howgood is just that good. Here's to the playoffs that we all hoped for and knew would come true.

Jimmy=Calder

There's no point in bringing up a Griffin without any playoff experience when we have others who do. I know the argument is that we won't know how well they can produce until we see them, but I'm perfectly fine with May and Abby coming up.

I must say, I wasn't a huge fan of the May signing this Fall but it's funny how your perspective changes when someone dons the appropriate sweater. I never realized how solid of a dude he was. They even did an intermission interview with him Wednesday at Van Andel and he was pure class, complimenting the city and the organization, etc.

There's no point in bringing up a Griffin without any playoff experience when we have others who do. I know the argument is that we won't know how well they can produce until we see them, but I'm perfectly fine with May and Abby coming up.

I must say, I wasn't a huge fan of the May signing this Fall but it's funny how your perspective changes when someone dons the appropriate sweater. I never realized how solid of a dude he was. They even did an intermission interview with him Wednesday at Van Andel and he was pure class, complimenting the city and the organization, etc.

As far as i know,i think they're bringing up guys like McCollum etc. just so they can experience what the Stanley Cup Playoffs are like.I don't think they'll be playing.They will just be traveling with the team during the playoffs.I'd really like them to re-sign May.He's a heart and soul kind of guy and you can never have enough of those kinda guys on your team.

I guess there are still people who don't understand about the Black Aces concept. Playoff teams call up some of their AHL guys who can either soak up the atmosphere and see what the playoffs are like, but they don't get in, except for injuries. As noted, May and Abdelkader may get in a little more often, depending on their opponent.

I guess there are still people who don't understand about the Black Aces concept. Playoff teams call up some of their AHL guys who can either soak up the atmosphere and see what the playoffs are like, but they don't get in, except for injuries. As noted, May and Abdelkader may get in a little more often, depending on their opponent.

My apologies, but I was speaking from a roster-spot stand point.