• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Urbain23

Octopus!

Rate this topic

Where can you get a octopus in Detroit, Also are you allowed to throw an octopus on the ice, I went to 6 playoff games last year and the people who threw then didn't get kicked out

Not sure exactly where to get them,but as long as you're not walking into the arena waving the thing around,you should be fine.

I've never been there before.how much does one cost?

No idea, to be honest. I've never been there, either. I went to my first playoff game last year and thoought 'i should have brought an octopus! all i had to do was walk through a metal detector and let them peek into my purse!' lol

While technically it is illegal to throw anything on the ice, i'm under the assumption that JLA turns a blind eye to octopi. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is OUR beloved tradition. You never see news reports here about crying Wings fans being ejected from a game. It's everywhere else we play against in the playoffs.

http://www.superiorfish.com/id65.html

Edited by Nic

No idea, to be honest. I've never been there, either. I went to my first playoff game last year and thoought 'i should have brought an octopus! all i had to do was walk through a metal detector and let them peek into my purse!' lol

While technically it is illegal to throw anything on the ice, i'm under the assumption that JLA turns a blind eye to octopi. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is OUR beloved tradition. You never see news reports here about crying Wings fans being ejected from a game. It's everywhere else we play against in the playoffs.

http://www.superiorfish.com/id65.html

haha yeah exactly.They'll never be able to stop the tradition.

haha yeah exactly.They'll never be able to stop the tradition.

The tradition lives strong for sure!

I would suggest boiling it to get rid of some of the smell if you don't want to stink like raw octopus for a week if you do it, though. most people saran wrap it to their torso in a bag since there really isn't frisking at JLA to get it in. Superior would sell it raw, obviously.

I would suggest boiling it to get rid of some of the smell if you don't want to stink like raw octopus for a week if you do it, though. most people saran wrap it to their torso in a bag since there really isn't frisking at JLA to get it in. Superior would sell it raw, obviously.

Yeah that makes sense.I have never tossed an octopus,but its something i reallly wanna do at The Joe.It would be such a classic moment. :cool:

Yeah that makes sense.I have never tossed an octopus,but its something i reallly wanna do at The Joe.It would be such a classic moment. :cool:

I'm just waiting to see who else on an opposing team dares to touch our beloved octopus. It hasn't worked out well so far, has it? lol

I threw one in Dallas durnig the 08 playoff run, that was brought from Superior Fish Co. in 08... we boiled it and double wrapped (freezer bags) it to my friend's gut to get it in. I will say that the smell, when I busted it out, was insane, everyone within 20 seats was aware that something was amiss. I couldn't even get the smell off my hands with hand sanitizer. I got tossed out of the game, but it was worth it... of course this was at the American Airlines Center in Dallas. I can't speak to what would happen at the Joe.

Link

Just make sure you throw it at the right point and time. Don't throw it at another opposing player, and don't throw it at a time where it disrupts the flow of the game. Perhaps someone else who is more familiar can elaborate on the etiquette.

The only thing I know specific about it is that when it's done at a home game, if whoever goes to pick it up spins it above their head, it has to be close to the exit off the ice. Players were complaining before that the goo flying off of it was making the ice hard to skate on.

Octopus etiquette:

-Only to be thrown during the playoffs.

-Boil the octopus first, double bag it and smuggle it in.

-Only to be thrown after the National Anthem, after a Wings goal, at the end of a game. After a Wings goal is most acceptable, but a many have chosen the end of the game to avoid being ejected.

-Never to be thrown at a person on the ice of any team or any official.

From the Official Site:

The Proper Etiquette For Throwing an OCTOPUs

"The O-FISH-AL OCTOPI Supply"

The following are guidelines for the proper decorum if one chooses to propel a CEPHALOPOD.

1. BOIL THE OCTOPUS: Boiling the OCTOPUS for a half hour will remove any natural moisture (slime) and will not leave any excessive residue that may inhibit the game.

2. WHEN TO THROW: The APPROPRIATE time to hurl your Octopi is ONLY immediately after a Red Wing goal. No other time is sanctioned by or recommended by our board of governors. If one does feel the need to throw it during our national anthem we must demand that it be done only AFTER its completion.

3. PLACEMENT: After meeting the criteria as mentioned in guideline numbers 1 and 2, you must throw your Octopus only in a direction AWAY from any players, officials and personnel. You must be confident that you can easily and safely make it to your desired target area. If you have any doubt in your ability, PLEASE refrain from propelling your Octopi.

Seriously. Heed this.

I seem to recall a segment on tv where Superior actually boiled or steamed them although I can't find reference to it anywhere so don't count on it. also, found this in a we article regarding price from 2008: The octopus runs $3.95 a pound; they can run as small as 1 to 2 pounds, and as big as 10 pounds.

Octopus etiquette:

-Only to be thrown during the playoffs.

-Boil the octopus first, double bag it and smuggle it in.

-Only to be thrown after the National Anthem, after a Wings goal, at the end of a game. After a Wings goal is most acceptable, but a many have chosen the end of the game to avoid being ejected.

-Never to be thrown at a person on the ice of any team or any official.

See bolded...not necessarily. There was one thrown at the end of the Pens/Wings game. :)

Edited by Hockeymom1960

I seem to recall a segment on tv where Superior actually boiled or steamed them although I can't find reference to it anywhere so don't count on it. also, found this in a we article regarding price from 2008: The octopus runs $3.95 a pound; they can run as small as 1 to 2 pounds, and as big as 10 pounds.

A 50 pounder was thrown in 96

I still would love to see video of that throw taking place, lol

Edited by Namtaru

They say playoff only because

1) That's technically the tradition. Purists insist.

2) If it gets done all the time, it could get to be too much and be actually enforced. They've had as many as 50 (IIRC) thrown in one game. You can see how this could get to be a problem.

3) Since it's technically a playoff thing, throwing it otherwise makes you look like you didn't know better. If you don't care what others think, go for it.