• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 WingNutt

WingNutt

-DATS the way to Play-

• PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:45 AM

Not sure if anyone knows or not but, I have noticed throughout the NHL and other hockey leagues, including a few players in Beer Leagues I've seen. There is a new fashion trend in hockey, where with visors are starting to push them up so much that the top edge of the visor nearly touches the bottom edge of their helmet, Cindy Crysby is one of the players sporting this look, and actually our own Kronwall as well as others. I figure some of them don't want the visor getting in the way of their vision so why wear one at all? I suppose it would help with protecting their eyes when they are looking down in the corners or at least protect their foreheads. Even players during the Olympics were doing this mostly Canadians, thanks god Pavel, Z and others are not doing this. and I'm also Glad Ovie is wearing his visor the proper way as well.

I personally thing it looks stupid and wanted everyone input and see if anyone else has noticed this season.From playing hockey my whole life I've noticed Hockey trends come and go. I remember the socks being pulled over top of the heels and sometimes the front of the skates, also remember the trend of some players cutting the inside portion of their pants so they could have better movement or hockey pants gangsta style.

www.datsyuk13.com ^thanks Offsides^
[press] "When you have the puck, how many people do you see?"
Without smiling, Datsyuk answered, "18,000"

#2 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:49 AM

Same dude's who have the tilted visor's have the collar's popped when clubbing :hehe:

What if everyone had Dany Heatley-visor like MEGA BIG... if it would prevent alot of highstick injuries.

Edited by mindfly, 09 April 2010 - 06:50 AM.

#3 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:51 AM

Depends on the player. Some tilt it up because the bottom of the visor either obstructs their breathing or because if they glance down, they have a full view of the ice and not the bottom of the visor....but hell, some just do it for the looks.
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#4 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:54 AM

It's pretty much always for better visibility...

Edited by stevkrause, 09 April 2010 - 06:54 AM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#5 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:58 AM

It's pretty much always for better visibility...

Well then they should remove it completely :)

#6 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:00 AM

Well then they should remove it completely :)

yea, because when a puck comes at your face and you tilt your head down without a visor, the puck doesn't hit you in the face...................

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#7 hockeygods

hockeygods

TonySmith

• 32 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:15 AM

and its not just a trend starting this year. Me and a friend of mine have talked about Kronwall doin that for 3 or 4 years now

#8 ltgator333

ltgator333

Combustion on Contact

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:44 AM

I've always thought Kronner must've done it so he can see the puck in his feet better.
- LT

#9 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:48 AM

Another thing I don't get other than they look cool are the the darker visor some player use like ovechkin, perron, hossa, kopitar, gaborik etc...looks a bit like sunglasses but it's not sunny in a hockey arena? :hehe:

Edited by mindfly, 09 April 2010 - 07:48 AM.

#10 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:54 AM

Another thing I don't get other than they look cool are the the darker visor some player use like ovechkin, perron, hossa, kopitar, gaborik etc...looks a bit like sunglasses but it's not sunny in a hockey arena? :hehe:

You can get yellow ones too, something to do with the lighting, but never seen any in NHL.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#11 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:04 AM

aw s*** the socks down to the heal of your skate isnt cool anymore? tells how long i havent played ice... if i were to lace up right now thats still what id do ... hah
"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#12 Lanzorz

Lanzorz

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:05 AM

Yeah I'm pretty sure the visor tints were initially meant for different degrees of light sensitivity and etc, but I'm sure people like to look cool like Ovechkin and wear mirrored.

#13 WingNutt

WingNutt

-DATS the way to Play-

• PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:10 AM

You can get yellow ones too, something to do with the lighting, but never seen any in NHL.

they have all kinds of different visor colors now, Mclaren who used to play for San Jose uses one, Ovie had a blue in the all star game a few years back.

Posted Image

Ovie Blue Visor

and its not just a trend starting this year. Me and a friend of mine have talked about Kronwall doin that for 3 or 4 years now

well I would say the "TREND" is starting this year, one guy wearing it for a few years doesn't make it a trend. This season is the first year multiple players are doing it, and players that didn't have it like that before example is Crosby.

watch and see how many more guys start copying this, it looks so stupid

www.datsyuk13.com ^thanks Offsides^
[press] "When you have the puck, how many people do you see?"
Without smiling, Datsyuk answered, "18,000"

#14 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:13 AM

That picture of Ovie is awesome! I always thought he didn't really care about the whole colour co-ordination thing since he wore yellow laces with his Caps uniform (and it always clashed) but there he's all in red. Looks pretty sweet. Plus how much more intimidating is it to have a world class player skate at you looking like this...
Ovie mirror

Posted Image

#15 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:19 AM

Sometimes, they get all fogged up.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#16 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

I like the way Eaves, Bert, Homer, Ericsson et al wear theirs.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#17 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

The reason you saw a lot of Tilted visor in the Olympics is due to the fact that players are forced to wear visors by IIHF rules. A lot of Players on the Canadian team do not wear a visor on a regular basis.... so this was the best way to wear it to feel like they weren't wearing a visor...

crash

#18 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:24 AM

Anyone know why Lids all of a sudden changed to the big visor? Always remember him not wearing one.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:32 AM

The reason you saw a lot of Tilted visor in the Olympics is due to the fact that players are forced to wear visors by IIHF rules. A lot of Players on the Canadian team do not wear a visor on a regular basis.... so this was the best way to wear it to feel like they weren't wearing a visor...

crash

You see it when NHL players are sent down to the AHL where the league forces the issue too.

I live in a state where one is permitted to, if he or she so chooses, not wear a helmet whil eriding a motorcycle. Some choose to, some choose not to. Those that choose to wear them tend to choose full-face helmets. I notice when riding in other states that riders will often wear something we almost never see here - skullcap-only type helmets.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#20 Gizmo

Gizmo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:58 AM

Lids started wearing one last season after getting injured when I puck hit him near the eye after deflecting off a stick shaft. http://blog.mlive.co...s_with_wxy.html

The reason for a lot of the tilted half-shields in the minors is that the players are required to wear them in some leagues, but some that don't like them adhere to the rule by tilting them up so much it's effectively like not having one.

Edited by Gizmo, 09 April 2010 - 09:02 AM.

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... outta da crease... in-a da crease... outta da crease!!!"