• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingNutt

Tilted Visor Trend?

Rate this topic

Not sure if anyone knows or not but, I have noticed throughout the NHL and other hockey leagues, including a few players in Beer Leagues I've seen. There is a new fashion trend in hockey, where with visors are starting to push them up so much that the top edge of the visor nearly touches the bottom edge of their helmet, Cindy Crysby is one of the players sporting this look, and actually our own Kronwall as well as others. I figure some of them don't want the visor getting in the way of their vision so why wear one at all? I suppose it would help with protecting their eyes when they are looking down in the corners or at least protect their foreheads. Even players during the Olympics were doing this mostly Canadians, thanks god Pavel, Z and others are not doing this. and I'm also Glad Ovie is wearing his visor the proper way as well.

I personally thing it looks stupid and wanted everyone input and see if anyone else has noticed this season.From playing hockey my whole life I've noticed Hockey trends come and go. I remember the socks being pulled over top of the heels and sometimes the front of the skates, also remember the trend of some players cutting the inside portion of their pants so they could have better movement or hockey pants gangsta style.

Guest mindfly

Same dude's who have the tilted visor's have the collar's popped when clubbing :hehe:

What if everyone had Dany Heatley-visor like MEGA BIG... if it would prevent alot of highstick injuries.

Edited by mindfly

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Depends on the player. Some tilt it up because the bottom of the visor either obstructs their breathing or because if they glance down, they have a full view of the ice and not the bottom of the visor....but hell, some just do it for the looks.

Guest mindfly

It's pretty much always for better visibility...

Well then they should remove it completely :)

Guest mindfly

Another thing I don't get other than they look cool are the the darker visor some player use like ovechkin, perron, hossa, kopitar, gaborik etc...looks a bit like sunglasses but it's not sunny in a hockey arena? :hehe:

Edited by mindfly

Another thing I don't get other than they look cool are the the darker visor some player use like ovechkin, perron, hossa, kopitar, gaborik etc...looks a bit like sunglasses but it's not sunny in a hockey arena? :hehe:

You can get yellow ones too, something to do with the lighting, but never seen any in NHL.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the visor tints were initially meant for different degrees of light sensitivity and etc, but I'm sure people like to look cool like Ovechkin and wear mirrored.

You can get yellow ones too, something to do with the lighting, but never seen any in NHL.

they have all kinds of different visor colors now, Mclaren who used to play for San Jose uses one, Ovie had a blue in the all star game a few years back.

mclaren-kyle090306.jpg

Ovie Blue Visor

and its not just a trend starting this year. Me and a friend of mine have talked about Kronwall doin that for 3 or 4 years now

well I would say the "TREND" is starting this year, one guy wearing it for a few years doesn't make it a trend. This season is the first year multiple players are doing it, and players that didn't have it like that before example is Crosby.

watch and see how many more guys start copying this, it looks so stupid

That picture of Ovie is awesome! I always thought he didn't really care about the whole colour co-ordination thing since he wore yellow laces with his Caps uniform (and it always clashed) but there he's all in red. Looks pretty sweet. Plus how much more intimidating is it to have a world class player skate at you looking like this...

Ovie mirror

The reason you saw a lot of Tilted visor in the Olympics is due to the fact that players are forced to wear visors by IIHF rules. A lot of Players on the Canadian team do not wear a visor on a regular basis.... so this was the best way to wear it to feel like they weren't wearing a visor...

crash

Guest micah

The reason you saw a lot of Tilted visor in the Olympics is due to the fact that players are forced to wear visors by IIHF rules. A lot of Players on the Canadian team do not wear a visor on a regular basis.... so this was the best way to wear it to feel like they weren't wearing a visor...

crash

You see it when NHL players are sent down to the AHL where the league forces the issue too.

I live in a state where one is permitted to, if he or she so chooses, not wear a helmet whil eriding a motorcycle. Some choose to, some choose not to. Those that choose to wear them tend to choose full-face helmets. I notice when riding in other states that riders will often wear something we almost never see here - skullcap-only type helmets.

Lids started wearing one last season after getting injured when I puck hit him near the eye after deflecting off a stick shaft. http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008/10/lidstrom_talks_visors_with_wxy.html

The reason for a lot of the tilted half-shields in the minors is that the players are required to wear them in some leagues, but some that don't like them adhere to the rule by tilting them up so much it's effectively like not having one.

Edited by Gizmo

That picture of Ovie is awesome! I always thought he didn't really care about the whole colour co-ordination thing since he wore yellow laces with his Caps uniform (and it always clashed) but there he's all in red. Looks pretty sweet. Plus how much more intimidating is it to have a world class player skate at you looking like this...

Ovie mirror

I think the mirrored visors are dumb. All fashion imo... but the blue one is cool for patriotism and all.

Tilted is definitely so when you play a puck at your feet you don't have to deal with a line intersecting your view and two ocular planes (different depth perception etc) caused by plastic vs. thin air.

Guest mindfly

Anyone know why Lids all of a sudden changed to the big visor? Always remember him not wearing one.

443072430_4ecd505a9d.jpg

Got a puck near the eye in a preseason game against montreal in september of 2008, and since then he choosed to wear the ugliest visor :(

Is there rules in teh AHL or IIHF about how long the visor has to come down over the eyes? You would think some of the guys would just wear really, really short ones and tilt it up so its like youre not wearing one at all.

Guest micah

Is there rules in teh AHL or IIHF about how long the visor has to come down over the eyes? You would think some of the guys would just wear really, really short ones and tilt it up so its like youre not wearing one at all.

Look at some pics of May dressed for GR duty - he wears a standard visor but it really only serves to keep the front of his helmet from getting banged up.