• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 BlakKy

BlakKy

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:58 AM

That picture of Ovie is awesome! I always thought he didn't really care about the whole colour co-ordination thing since he wore yellow laces with his Caps uniform (and it always clashed) but there he's all in red. Looks pretty sweet. Plus how much more intimidating is it to have a world class player skate at you looking like this...
Ovie mirror

I think the mirrored visors are dumb. All fashion imo... but the blue one is cool for patriotism and all.
Tilted is definitely so when you play a puck at your feet you don't have to deal with a line intersecting your view and two ocular planes (different depth perception etc) caused by plastic vs. thin air.

#22 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:30 AM

I am waiting for players to start putting LEDS and NOS Stickers on their helmets and spinners on the skates for +10 hp
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#23 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:44 AM

Anyone know why Lids all of a sudden changed to the big visor? Always remember him not wearing one.
Posted Image

Got a puck near the eye in a preseason game against montreal in september of 2008, and since then he choosed to wear the ugliest visor :(

#24 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:46 PM

I like the way Eaves, Bert, Homer, Ericsson et al wear theirs.

Eaves?

You mean Lilja :thumbup:

I never liked the visor, and detested the full cage...For me it was night, and day without the half shield/full face protection in terms of visibility.

Got a puck near the eye in a preseason game against montreal in september of 2008, and since then he choosed to wear the ugliest visor :(

I thought it was due to a broken schnoz?...Anywho he broke into the league with a visor - makes sense for him to wear one in his last few years in the league.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#25 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:55 PM

Is there rules in teh AHL or IIHF about how long the visor has to come down over the eyes? You would think some of the guys would just wear really, really short ones and tilt it up so its like youre not wearing one at all.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#26 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:21 PM

Is there rules in teh AHL or IIHF about how long the visor has to come down over the eyes? You would think some of the guys would just wear really, really short ones and tilt it up so its like youre not wearing one at all.

Look at some pics of May dressed for GR duty - he wears a standard visor but it really only serves to keep the front of his helmet from getting banged up.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#27 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:33 PM

Chet Lemon? :D
ENJOY THE RIDE

#28 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:34 PM

Posted Image

#29 DirtyD

DirtyD

One fast move or I'm gone

• Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:49 PM

Posted Image

That, my friends, is what a badass looks like.

Posted Image

#30 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:55 PM

ok well the reason some players have their visors up so high is they started their careers in the AHL where there required to wear visors so they just push them up all the way so it doesnt get in there vision, and when they make the move back to the NHL they are so used to it that they just keep it.(at least thats the reason for some players)

And as far as the mirrored visors it keeps the goalie and other players from seeing your eyes and where you might be looking to pass shoot etc. (and because it looks "cool")

the tinted visors it reduces the glare caused by normal visors(if youve worn them you know what im talking about)they also may wear them to look cool or they may have vision problems and their eyes may be sensitive to light

#31 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:17 PM

Well then they should remove it completely :)

Post Of The Century :clap:
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#32 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:18 PM

I am waiting for players to start putting LEDS and NOS Stickers on their helmets and spinners on the skates for +10 hp

lol @ NOS stickers

As for Ovie's, I remember a few years back when Brodeur was bitching about his mirror visor one game, because he couldn't see his eyes to make a read on Ovie's shots.

#33 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:42 PM

I think the mirrored visors are dumb. All fashion imo... but the blue one is cool for patriotism and all.
Tilted is definitely so when you play a puck at your feet you don't have to deal with a line intersecting your view and two ocular planes (different depth perception etc) caused by plastic vs. thin air.

Mirrored isn't for style or fashion: mirroring the plastic allows for a darker tint, and some NHL arenas are hideously bright when you're in the ice. The guys that have tinted visors probably don't like playing when it's that bright, so they get tinted visors.

Same reason that football players like LT wear mirrored visors on their helmets.

I don't really get the obstruction viewpoint that a lot of players have, since I've played lacrosse since I was nine, but I guess if you didn't grow up wearing huge bars in front of your face, you're not used to it.

Edited by Theophany, 09 April 2010 - 04:55 PM.

#34 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:17 PM

Mirrored isn't for style or fashion: mirroring the plastic allows for a darker tint, and some NHL arenas are hideously bright when you're in the ice. The guys that have tinted visors probably don't like playing when it's that bright, so they get tinted visors.

Same reason that football players like LT wear mirrored visors on their helmets.

I don't really get the obstruction viewpoint that a lot of players have, since I've played lacrosse since I was nine, but I guess if you didn't grow up wearing huge bars in front of your face, you're not used to it.

I have a pretty good size noggin with a long face; the cage would obstruct my peripheral view of the puck near/around my feet. I'd have to always look down at the puck to see where it was, and that of course is a :nono:

Without a cage/shield I can see the puck just fine.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#35 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:57 PM

Personally, I think the 'tilt' is partly to throw off the goalie's view of the player's eyes at certain angles, as was complained about the tinted visors...
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#36 Mickey Redmond

Mickey Redmond

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:02 PM

Posted Image

#37 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:51 PM

The reason you saw a lot of Tilted visor in the Olympics is due to the fact that players are forced to wear visors by IIHF rules. A lot of Players on the Canadian team do not wear a visor on a regular basis.... so this was the best way to wear it to feel like they weren't wearing a visor...

crash

Pronger didn't wear one the whole Olympics.

#38 CanadaBoy

CanadaBoy

The Red Wing Ring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:54 PM

Posted Image

Chelios did the same thing when he played for the Griffiths
But my most coveted thing is a high self-esteem
And a low tolerance for them telling me how to lean
See the most important parts are the ones that are unseen
The Wings don't make you fly and the Crown don't make you king
Now God don't like ugly, ain't too happy bout pretty
I am ignorance's enemy so stay out of the vicinity of...
~ Lupe Fiasco - Gold Watch

#39 robat

robat

PAVELTECHNO

• Bronze Booster
  • 678 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:36 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sure the visor tints were initially meant for different degrees of light sensitivity and etc, but I'm sure people like to look cool like Ovechkin and wear mirrored.

Ovie doesn't wear a mirrored visor. They're not allowed in the NHL.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image