Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

4/9 GDT: Red Wings 1 at Blue Jackets 0 (SO)

• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#221 Four

Four

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:18 PM

Howard is so good at handling pressure, it's scary. For his first year, he is going stride for stride against top goalies and winning us games.

O.o

#222 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:20 PM

In any case, I wonder if Babcock will play Ozzie on Sunday to rest Howard for next week?

Why?

Howard needs to be playoff ready. Going into the playoffs right after playing against the Hawks would be a perfect warmup.

Posted Image

#223 lyongoalie29

lyongoalie29

Prospect

• 38 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:19 PM

I was at the game tonight and I can verify that there were at LEAST 3 octopi thrown on the ice one during the shootout right after Datsyuk tied it, one at the end of regulation, and one after OT. I heard there were 4 didn't see it though.

#224 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,364 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:21 AM

I always seem to miss the good games.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#225 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:37 AM

I always seem to miss the good games.

This wasn't a good game...neither team wanted to play the game from what it looked like...

#226 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:19 AM

Translating mindflyspeak: It was a good defensive battle and a close game, with the Wings doing the usual outshooting opponents, and the Wings didn't win by 5 goals.

#227 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:45 AM

For those saying "Howard was saved by the posts" I have a little information for you:

Shots that go off the posts are not going in the net.

The goalie could be up on the concourse ordering a Hot & Ready and the shot would STILL not go in.

The only time the goalie could ever be considered to be "saved" by the post is if the shot went off the goalie's back and then bounced off the post back into the goalie again, slid towards the goal line, and then the goalie was able to stop it before it was knocked in. That or something similar is about the only situation you could consider the goalie saved by the post. Bouncing off the outside of the post and away from the net is not the goalie being saved by the post.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#228 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:47 AM

For those saying "Howard was saved by the posts" I have a little information for you:

The goalie could be up on the concourse ordering a Hot & Ready and the shot would STILL not go in.

The only time the goalie could ever be considered to be "saved" by the post is if the shot went off the goalie's back and then bounced off the post back into the goalie again, slid towards the goal line, and then the goalie was able to stop it before it was knocked in. That or something similar is about the only situation you could consider the goalie saved by the post. Bouncing off the outside of the post and away from the net is not the goalie being saved by the post.

Then they were saved by a bad shot? Like when Draper has a wide open net and shoots it super wide, the goalie was saved by a bad shot.

#229 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:06 AM

But if they start osgood its a sure loss...why give chicago more confidence than they already have?

red wing hockey is also; puck possesion, limited turnovers and offense... they had very little of that in this game. Howard got saved by the post 2 or 3 times as well.

were you watching the same damn game the rest of us where?

I was 5 rows from the ice, Columbus was completely selling out and Detroit still outshot them by 25. Only Mason was keeping this one from being a blowout and sometimes that happens. But since you've only been watching hockey since 2008 maybe you were unaware.

Columbus didn't have more than what 1 shot in the last 15 minutes of the game.

The offense will come around, but DEFENSE wins championships.

If you like your team to win games 6-5 but lose in the playoffs go be a Caps fan bandwagoner.

I was at the game tonight and I can verify that there were at LEAST 3 octopi thrown on the ice one during the shootout right after Datsyuk tied it, one at the end of regulation, and one after OT. I heard there were 4 didn't see it though.

I saw the 3....I didn't see the fourth either.

Edited by BuckeyeWingsfan80, 10 April 2010 - 11:08 AM.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#230 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:18 AM

Hell yes, just outshooting teams wont give you any wins come playoff time you need to have the skills to execute and finish also... I guess it comes down to I search for perfection so I'm really darn good to see what is missing in the detroit team, while the average fan just look at the positives drinking beer screaming LETS GO WINGS, I'm more like babcock..a coach...- hardly ever pleased always looking for improvement.

Edited by mindfly, 10 April 2010 - 11:20 AM.

#231 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:19 AM

Aye. I've never understood why posts are such a big deal. They make a big, dramatic noise, sure. But as far as its practical effect on the game, hitting the post and having the puck not go in the net is the same as shooting a puck a meter wide of the net. The puck did not go in; the player did not take a shot that was capable of beating the goalie and making it into the net.

#232 BlakKy

BlakKy

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:29 AM

Aye. I've never understood why posts are such a big deal. They make a big, dramatic noise, sure. But as far as its practical effect on the game, hitting the post and having the puck not go in the net is the same as shooting a puck a meter wide of the net. The puck did not go in; the player did not take a shot that was capable of beating the goalie and making it into the net.

I think the idea is that the shot was too close for comfort and had the goalie been able to get in front of the shot that hit the post he would have.. ie. the goalie is beaten, but not the post.

#233 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,980 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:29 AM

I just think they shouldn't suck so much when they have had a healthy team for so long... why not tighten up the defense and play "red wing hockey" when the playoffs are right around the corner

15-3-2

Jumped from 9th to 5th - what the hell else do you want?

#234 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:39 AM

15-3-2

Jumped from 9th to 5th - what the hell else do you want?

You see 15-3-2 I see loss against edmonton, blowout loss to nucks 6-3, couldn't defend a 4goal lead against edmonton, buzzbeaters (yeah that's luck too), kicking motion goal, highstick goal, sloppy game against nashville, sloppy 3-2 win against columbus (players admitted themselves)

The record could have been much worse and for this team to go far in the playoffs they just gotta be better... can't wait until wedenesday/thursday and see if they are up for the task to tighten up on defense and EXECUTE on offense.

#235 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:51 AM

If we shoot the puck and hit the post, I think to myself, 'Damnnnnn we almost scored, we were so close". I don't think, "The goalie got so lucky the post was there". So i agree with you, why should it be the other way around.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#236 finalfilppula

finalfilppula

Happy Together

• PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:06 PM

You see 15-3-2 I see loss against edmonton, blowout loss to nucks 6-3, couldn't defend a 4goal lead against edmonton, buzzbeaters (yeah that's luck too), kicking motion goal, highstick goal, sloppy game against nashville, sloppy 3-2 win against columbus (players admitted themselves)

The record could have been much worse and for this team to go far in the playoffs they just gotta be better... can't wait until wedenesday/thursday and see if they are up for the task to tighten up on defense and EXECUTE on offense.

relax. wings got blown out a bunch of times in 07-08 And had a longer losing streak at one point in the season.

#237 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:08 PM

relax. wings got blown out a bunch of times in 07-08 And had a longer losing streak at one point in the season.

Yeah when lidstrom, rafalski, kronwall, and some other players were injured :hehe:

Edited by mindfly, 10 April 2010 - 12:08 PM.

#238 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:22 PM

Ok so you pointed out the 3 losses that you didn't like, but you post reads like every other game was 5-4 win. Barely able to pull it out when it counts.

What should be more important is the 15, you know the number that got them into the playoffs.

You act like just weeks ago the Wings weren't out of the playoffs.

It is not like the were in first all year and the 3 losses you mentioned were what put the Wings in 5th.

Weeks ago people were counting the Wings out and now very few teams want to face them.

How even you can spin the 15-3-2 that put this team in the postseason, and has been played like post season hockey (close games tough to score in), yet here we are with you and your constant drivel of how bad things are.

But in reality they are about 10 x's better than a month and a half ago.

But in reality all I did was feed the troll, so I guess I am as bad as you.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#239 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

Full SO

#240 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

In heaven, everything is fine.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:07 PM

Unfortunately other teams do have good players as well. This is a professional sports league after all...